1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jacob I loved and Esau I hated = individual election?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

The book of James. "Faith without works is dead."

John chapter 2: 23 Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name. 24 But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. 25 He did not need man's testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man.

Assuming its real, then yes, you are right. But the only way you know its real is if it lasts. True faith will persevere

I'm still not sure what this has to do with the fact that we enter heaven through faith and we are rejected on account of our unbelief. Wasn't that the point we were discussing?

2. Skandelon

Actually the passages about Tyre and Sidon cause a bit of a problem for you all because Jesus clearly says, that if the signs had been shown to Sodom and Gomorrah that they would have repented. How is that possible absent the work of regeneration? Clearly Jesus believed that man's will can be convinced through signs and wonders (which God is not obligated to give).

Plus, how do you increase the condemnation of burning for eternity in hell? Is the fire hotter for Tyre and Sidon than it is for Sodom and Gomorrah. The difference is the signs and wonders and unless you think Jesus was lying then clearly the signs could have lead the ancient cities to repentance.

Wrong. We believe the call proceeds faith, we just don't believe the call of the gospel is irresistible. However, we do recognize that with some people God does use other means to help provoke and convince the will to faith. For example, Jonah needed a big fish, Noah needed a burning bush, Paul needed a blinding light, Thomas needed to touch the scars etc. Why didn't the so called "effectual calling" work in convincing these men?

Notice how I can make my argument by simply quoting the text and you have to come up with your own phrases.

I'll stick with what the scripture actually says:

"they are condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God"

and

"So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief"

Can you find a verse that says your phrase?

If God has made provision that covers the sin of the world, the ONLY thing that prevent us from entering his promised land is unbelief, because that is the only condition for the covenant of grace. Again, look for a phrase in scripture that supports your view and we'll talk about it, but until then I'm sticking with scripture.

This passage doesn't address our dispute because this is our condition prior to the cross. We both agree that we were condemned by the law (for sin) prior to Christ's atoning work. If you want disprove my position you must find a passage that says we remain condemned for breaking the law of God even though Christ died. You won't find it. Notice that the same "all men" who were condemned by the sin is the same "all men" who were brought justification. Thus, the only reason we don't have unversalism is because of the condition by which this justification is applied...faith.

3. Skandelon

Typically, even Calvinists affirm the use of means such as the work of the church in bring the gospel.

When you say "the people of God" do you mean those who are "saved." Because if that is the case how are they "cut off" and "grafted in again" after being once cut off? The problem that creates is that one seems to be able to lose their salvation and get it back. Paul tells the Gentiles not to become prideful because if God cut off the natural branches he can also cut them off, and if the Jews leave their unbelief he can graft them back into the vine.

Yes, some translations refer to the root and the branches of an olive tree...same difference.

4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So if Abraham had not taken his son Isaac up the mountain to sacrifice him to God, all those years of faithful service to God would have gone up in smoke? Give me a break.

What James is saying is faith is visibly dead without works. Saying I have faith and then not doing works wrought in faith is likened by James to me telling a man who is hungry and cold to be warm and filled and not actually giving him the things he needs to be warmed and filled. Men show faith by works. The bible doesn't simply tell you that Abraham had faith, it shows you his faith by his works. When you read Hebrews 11 you see this pattern time and again: by faith Abel did this, by faith Enoch did that, by faith Noah did this, by faith Abraham did that, etc. Faith is visible through fruit produced by it. When one confesses Christ, they are manifesting faith. When one does things that are pleasing to God, he is manifesting faith.

5. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul is not at all intending to describe a pre-cross and a post-cross condition.

Is that prior to Christ's actual death on the cross (AD 30 or so)? Or is that before we respond in repentance and faith to the gospel?

Actually, I don't have to find a passage, I just have to show that you are not interpreting Romans 5 correctly.

Hence:

This you cannot have. In v. 18, Paul is finishing the thought from v. 12 (an anacoluthon). So, in v. 18 and 19, Paul is finishing the argument and summarizing and in doing so he uses a parallel structure:

• (18a) One trespass led to condemnation for all men corresponding to (19a) by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners

• (18b) One act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men corresponding to (19b) by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous
    Paul is not intending to say that "all are brought justification." Why? The parallel of the passages. If you insist on your interpretation you have to concede that not everyone was made a sinner by Adam's trespass and I don't think you'd suggest this.

Also, your view basically denies a penal-substitution view of the atonement. Your view is much more in line with a Christus Victor idea. After all, it must be the case that Jesus' death actually accomplished its intended purpose--to redeem sinners. Jesus' death did not only make that redemption possible.

Jesus' death did not bring justification to all men, as you argue. Justification, being a legal term--especially in Paul, means to be declared not guilty. Even according to your own system of theology, it cannot be that all men are Justified by Christ's death because then all men would be justified and we know that is not the case (there are sheep and goats and there will be a separation).

Your view on Romans 5, therefore, is incorrect in the context of Paul's writings and the Bible as a whole.

Blessings,

The Archangel

6. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    They cause no problem at all, once you read them in Greek. Jesus is using a second-class conditional statement which is, by definition and formula, a contrary-to fact condition. Because Jesus uses the second-class condition, it is certain that He is not intending to say Sodom and Gomorrah would have repented. He is merely using them as an example--a well-known example of sin and its consequences.

I don't know if the fire is hotter. But we know that judgment is varied in its forms. That's what the second-class was used to illustrate--the judgment.

I'll be a bit ugly here, purely in jest! "Noah needed a burning bush?" What Bible are you reading? :smilewinkgrin: OK. Ugliness over. This has made me think of some bad typos or gaffes in speech I've made. None are immune!

First, the Jonah example doesn't apply--Jonah was already a believer who was being disobedient (something even the best of Christians can still do). Jonah was obviously not brought to faith in God through the fish. He was merely returned to the mission God had for him.

Secondly, I don't know why you think the effectual call and the burning bush or a blinding light need to be two separate things. Calvinists believe the effectual call, obviously, but the call never implies a restriction to a particular means. Therefore, the blinding light on the Damascus road was a means of calling effectually. In the lives of many Christians, the means of calling is different, but it is an effectual calling nonetheless.

Blessings,

The Archangel

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Thank you Winman. This is a very good explanation of what happened during the temptation. You do seem to have a good grasp of theology. It's a pleasure to listen to you.

8. Skandelon

huh? :confused:

(can any one interpret for me, I just can't follow this guy)

Yes...and? I'm still not sure what this has to do with our discussion regarding Heb. 3. And I'm not sure why you are debating my position on this matter since we both agree that once one is truly redeemed he will certainly persevere.

9. Skandelon

Rom 3:25 God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished-- 26 he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Why do you suppose Paul says that God left the sins committed before the cross unpunished? Before the cross God's wrath for sin remained, but after the cross it does not. The sin of the world has been atoned. Thus making the faith the only requirement to enter covenant with God.

I've shown you at least 2 passages so far that state the exact phrase I believe, you have yet to show a single passage that even implies what you believe.

I think its interesting how I just quote a passage directly from the text and you argue with it.

You say, it "did not bring justification to all men." while the scripture says, "one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men," and "the free gift following many trespasses brought justification."

Again, I'll just stick with what the scripture actually says. If someone walks up to me and asks the question, "Did Jesus death bring justification to all men." I'll simply quote the scripture verbatim and leave it at that. You on the other hand can give them your complex dissertations.

If you are right, then when we get to heaven I'll say, "Sorry, God, all I did was quote your text verbatim. I wish you made me smart enough to understand what you really meant when you said, 'it leads to justification and life for all men,' but you didn't so all I could do was quote it."

10. Skandelon

Dang, I wonder why the scripture says he will use the weak to shame the wise when you have to be a freakin genius Greek scholar to understand the intent of every passage???

So, you expect us to believe that when Jesus said, "they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes." He really meant, "Sodom and Gomorrah would NOT have repented." Okay, if you say so. :BangHead: I see a pattern developing here. Scripture clearly states something VERBATIM and you counter it. I don't even need to be here, you can just argue with scripture because all I have to do is QUOTE IT.

It was a test. You passed. :smilewinkgrin:

Agreed, but its an example of God's use of means to effectuate his sovereign will, which seems a bit extreme and redundant if indeed God is the one who decrees our desires to begin with...

I understand that, as I used to believe it myself, but I only mention it because it just seems redundant. You have God hardening men so that they can't believe even though they were born total unable to willingly believe in the first place. You have God burning bushes, using big fish, blinding lights, envy, miraculous signs and all kinds of means to provoke men who are being effectually called by the inward working of the spirit. I mean, what's the point? If an outward means like "envy" aint really what provokes the will to believe, then why even mention it? (Rm 11:14) It just doesn't fit.

11. RAdam

RAdam New Member

In James 2 he is discussing faith and works, as you referenced. His example there is Abraham. He points to an event in Abraham's life when he, by faith, followed God's commandment to sacrifice his son Isaac to God as a burnt offering. This, says James, fullfills Genesis 15:6 which said that Abraham believed God and it was counted to him for righteousness. If Abraham had not obeyed, if he had not had works to go with his faith, would his faith been any less geniune? Of course not. Would that have shown that he wasn't saved? No. He still had years of faithful service to God in his past. The point James is making is not that only true faith does this or that. His point, rather, is to exhort us to exhibit our faith by works, like Abraham did.

12. Skandelon

And that contributes to our discussion how? :confused:

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm just not seeing how this contradicts anything I have said so far. I believe true faith will persevere to the end, don't you?

How does this all help the original discussion that lead down this rabbit trail?

13. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are incorrect. Sins before the cross had to be paid because the blood of bulls and goats can't ultimately take away sin.

If, as you say, the sin of the world has indeed been atoned for, why are people sent to hell? I know..."Because they don't believe." But wouldn't that unbelief be a sin and wasn't all sin atoned for? How can this be? It can't.

It is becoming apparent that you theology is Pelagian.

But there are different genres of literature and nuance of the Greek language--which apparently you patently deny. The second-class conditional sentence is what it is--a fact of the Greek language. You only want to deny it because it thwarts one of your precious presuppositions. The second-class is the contrary-to-fact condition, sorry if you don't like it. If you don't like it, that really too bad--take it up with Homer, Aristotle, Alexander the Great, etc.

By the way, your smugness is noted. You claim to quote scripture (in the Tyre/Sidon, Sodom/Gomorrah passage) when, in reality, you are quoting a translation. Now, translation are very good and quite sufficient. However, there is nuance in the original language that no translation can capture. This is why seminarians learn Greek and Hebrew.

Greek, for instance, has the passive which means the subject is acted upon. This is especially important when considering Jesus' words in John 3:3 "unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." That phrase is not imperative and it is passive. Jesus is not telling Nicodemus to do something. Rather, He is saying something must be done to Nicodemus.

Any true expositor must see what the author's main point is--and that includes grammar, vocabulary, syntax, etc. If we are not taking the author's main point, we are just fooling ourselves. If we don't search for the author's main point we are not placing ourselves in submission to scripture and we are, in fact, placing scripture in submission to us. And if you do that, you have deeper problems.

The pattern I see developing in you is that you want scripture to say something or mean something that goes against the author's main point or the grammar that he uses. That's dangerous ground.

Blessings,

The Archangel

14. RAdam

RAdam New Member

You said James is teaching that if one doesn't perserver their faith wasn't real. I asked the question, what if Abraham (James' chief example of faith and works) didn't obey God by faith? Would his faith have been exposed as not a real faith?

15. Skandelon

So can bulls and goats work now? Obviously not. Why do you suppose we don't sacrifice animals anymore? BECAUSE CHRIST'S ATONEMENT CHANGED SOMETHING. God's wrath has been appeases once and for all!!!

Bingo :thumbsup:

And that is a direct quote from SCRIPTURE, not me.

If the covenant of Grace has a condition of faith then that would be the only thing that would keep someone from being saved. They all had been bought (as scripture clearly teaches); but God sets a condition for them to avoid condemnation. They must believe. (by the way, another rabbit trail: what do you suppose is the meant by the "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?")
    You can label and dismiss me all day long, but that doesn't change the clear reading of the text. But I think everyone here knows that Pelagian's denied the effects of Original Sin and I do not.

I wanted to point out that you never dealt with the passage out of John 12 where Jesus said that my words will be your judge.

You don't need a presupposition to understand what Jesus clearly and plainly said, "they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes." And you say, "they would NOT have repented." I'll stick with scripture. You can stick with your "contrary-to-fact conditions." How about we just apply that little greek trick to any thing we don't like in scripture?

The "contrary to fact condition" in this text is that they weren't shown signs and wonders, not Jesus' actual conclusion and clear statement. Think about it. If what you are saying is true and the cities of Sodom and Gomorra would NOT have repented even if they were shown all these same signs and wonders then what point is Jesus making? Is he lying for effect? Is he bluffing? If they would have done the exact same thing as what Tyre and Sidon did then what the heck was Jesus even trying to communicate?

I don't mean to be smug, but this just seems absurd to me. Translations are produced by Greek and Hebrew scholars and NOT ONE translation I can find says that those ancient cities would NOT have repented (I just read 32 of them). Were all those translators wrong in translating the original intent of the authors?

I took Greek and my wife is a tutor for Greek students and the only "contrary to fact condition" in this text is that those cities weren't show signs and wonders, but 'CONTRARY TO THOSE FACTS' Jesus is supposing they had been shown the same signs and wonders as Tyre and Sidon. His conclusions are not "contrary to themselves" (as you suppose) they are only contrary to what actually happened because those cities were never shown those signs and wonders. Had they been shown those signs and wonders then they would have believed. If not, then what the HECK was Jesus even saying? Why would he lie to them and tell them that they would have repented? Does that increase their judgement for Jesus to "pretend" that another city would have repented?

Don't you see why this seems SOOO far fetched? I mean, I am pretty objective about stuff, but this is just absurd to me.

16. Skandelon

And you disagree with this? Why? You think if someone appears to believe and doesn't persevere in that faith that it WAS real? I don't understand. Why are you debating this point? Aren't you Calvinistic?

I suppose James would have just picked another example of Abraham's obedience, I don't know? What difference does it make?

17. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your passion is blinding you to what I actually said.

I said: They cause no problem at all, once you read them in Greek. Jesus is using a second-class conditional statement which is, by definition and formula, a contrary-to fact condition. Because Jesus uses the second-class condition, it is certain that He is not intending to say Sodom and Gomorrah would have repented. He is merely using them as an example--a well-known example of sin and its consequences.

Of course the contrary-to-fact is that the signs were not performed. I was not intending, as you suppose, to say that they couldn't have responded. I don't know if they could have, even though you suppose you do. As you will see above, I said "[Jesus] is using them [Sodom and Gomorrah] as an example" to illustrate the woes He is pronouncing. He is not intending to say Sodom and Gomorrah could have or would have repented. The textual unit is an example. Jesus is, likely, using hyperbole.

By the way, we both have the cities wrong (if we're talking about Matthew 11). But, that's not too important right now.

As for translations...even the best Hebrew and Greek scholars will tell you that no translation is perfect--not even my beloved ESV. Many things don't come through. Does that mean that translations are not sufficient? No, of course not. It does mean, however, that to find the main point, sometimes one has to dig deeper--into the original texts. It is the same as reading a biography about someone and reading that same person's autobiography. The autobiography will have nuance that is lost in the biographer's work. It is always better to go straight the proverbial horse's mouth.

Besides you putting words into my mouth, your disrespect for the text is astonishing. Greek is not a "trick." It is the original. Sometimes nuance is desperately important. To claim "I'll stick to scripture" and place that over/against searching to find the point of a passage by consulting the original language is disingenuous at best. Essentally, you are placing yourself against the text when you make ridiculous statements like this. Sad.

Blessings,

The Archangel

18. Skandelon

I'm not the one supposing they could have repented, Jesus is, argue with him. :)

Even though he said they could have, I understand.

Which is it? Contrary-to-fact or hyperbole? And typically when scripture uses hyperbole the intent is still clear. If indeed the ancient cities could not have repented, then what was the intent of the hyperbole of saying they could? Was he just pretending or exaggerating?

I'm sorry, but at least I'm not putting words into Jesus' mouth and thus disrespecting the intent of his actual words.

You assume I haven't looked that the original language. In fact, I have looked at the original language and I see no viable reason for dismissing Jesus' actual words as somehow untrue. I'm sorry, maybe we need to just agree to disagree on this point.

Can you give me a final answer with regard to the olive tree (vine) and its branches/roots?

What do you think the tree represents? Do you still think it's "the people of God?"

19. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, I'm not "putting words into Jesus' mouth." I'm simply pointing out that Jesus is making an example and in doing so, He is not intending to say "they would have believed" as a simple statement of fact. Obviously, they did not believe. Is it because no signs and wonders were performed? It is certainly possible that God could have done signs and wonders and through them called people to Himself. We know He didn't. The passage is an example and not intended as a theological discourse. The same can be said of a parable.

Preachers drive me crazy when they preach a parable and make doctrine out of them. Why? Because parables are illustrative by nature and, with rare exception--like the parable of the sower--are not explained theologically and are only to illustrate a point which has already been made in the text.

Blessings,

The Archangel

PS. I still think the Olive Tree is the people of God.

20. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, you are clearly not understanding context. According to your practice of "quoting" scripture, I could say "Psalm 14 says "there is no God." See, all I'm doing is quoting scripture. But context, of course, is important in Psalm 14 and every other passage because the full text of Psalm 14:1 is "The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

Likewise, when you claim that "all" have been justified according to Romans 3:21ff, you are missing an essential contextual component. In this passage "all" does not mean everyone without exception. In Romans 3, "all" means Jews and Gentiles alike.

How is this shown? The end of chapter 2 makes it abundantly clear that Paul is talking to Jews. He continues that thought through chapter 3 and then, in verse 9 he addresses both Jews and Gentiles (Greeks).

When we get to v. 21, Paul discusses the Law, which, in Paul, refers to the Law of Moses, and says that the righteousness of God has been made know apart from the law.

V. 23 "All have sinned" refers to both Jews and Gentiles. V. 24 says "all are justified by grace as a gift" and this refers to both Jews and Gentiles and it points to the theological fact that grace is unearnable (contrary to the Jew's understanding)

V. 25 calls Jesus a propitiation, meaning that He turned back God's wrath by taking it for us (as a substitute).

V. 25-26 answers the "why?" Because He (God) had passed over--not paid for--former sins. The sin of David, Moses, Abraham, etc. had not been paid, because the blood of bulls and goats can't ultimately take away sin. God is not able to forgive sin by just "writing it off;" He requires a payment. Jesus is that payment for the ones in the OT who's faith had been counted as righteousness.

V. 26 clearly says that God is just and the one who justifies. But, whom does He justify "the one who has faith in Christ."

Now, context again, Paul's use of the word "Justification" is usually, if not always in Romans, written in judicial/legal language. Paul's usage of justification means "declared not guilty."

Paul is essentially saying that both Jews and Gentiles are saved by the same sacrifice of Christ. He is not saying that everyone without exception is "justified."

Certainly, you would not suggest that even unbelievers are counted as "not guilty," unless, of course, you are a universalist.

Blessings,

The Archangel