1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jamarcus Russell or Brady Quinn

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Alcott, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which of these 2 top quarterbacks in this year's NFL draft do you expect to have the best NFL career?

I have read recent articles comparing them, as well as looking at other years where the top 2 QB's went very high in the draft. In most cases these top 2 QB's with different styles have vastly different levels of success, and in some cases neither of them 'produced' according to their draft status. Examples are 1998, in which Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were the top 2 picks, and 1999 when it was Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, and Alkali Smith who were the top 3 picks. Other top QB's which did/have been virtual busts are Joey Harrington, Steve Bartkowski, Alex Smith, and David Carr. A little better, but still not up to expectations, include Vinny Testaverde, Michael Vick, and Drew Bledsoe... all of whom were #1 picks.

Actually there have been just 4, maybe 5, QB's since the 'modern' NFL began in 1970 who were the #1 overall picks and have really achieved the level [wins and personal stats] expected of such a rating... Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Troy Aikman, and most recently Peyton Manning. Jim Plunkett may also go on that list, for though he finally won 2 Super Bowls, his oveall career was still less-than-expected.

Nevertheless, if both Quinn and Russell have great careers, that will really buck a trend in the NFL. It gets very complex to analyze the type of coaching they had in college (and before) and how that may affect their situations. And NFL coaches and personnel execs are known to put differeing values priorities on players' shown abilities and the results of psychological tests. Some have let it slip that they think Russell may not have the work ethic required and that he needs to lose a little belly; some are saying that Quinn's inability to perform to his usual standards in 'big' games and making about 4 ill-advised throws per game is quite bothersome for a QB prospect. Fortunately (for Quinn, anyway) few place great stock on a singles game's performance-- while Russell got the better of Quinn in the Sugar Bowl, it's well-known to observers that was because LSU clearly had a speed advantage over Notre Dame.

I am inclined to believe it will be the 3rd season for both of them before either shows something like all-conference level. But if Oakland picks one and Detroit the other, then I would go with whichever goes to Detroit-- an upcoming team with a great corps of receivers. My hunch (not logical) is that Quinn will have the better career.

2. A&I

A&I New Member

Quinn

I ddon;t know who would go first or should .But I was surprised in how big Quinn was 6'4" 230 lbs .I thought he was like 200 lbs and around 6'1" .

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

:laugh:

You put Detroit and upcoming team in the same sentence.

:laugh:

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So did you.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Quinn hands down.

Russell, IMO, is going to be the next big bust in the same mold as Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, etc.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Yes, but I laughed and you were serious. :wavey: :laugh:

7. jtbdad

jtbdad New Member

It will entirely depend upon who drafts whom. Put Quinn in behind a good line that gives him time to throw and in a couple years he could be outstanding. However put him in an offense that needs a mobile QB and he will get abused.
    Russel is more mobile and will be less dependent upon strong pass protection. However place him in a situation in which he is pressured I predict he will try too often to leave the pocket. Of course this can be coached out of him but will it be?

I predict both will be starters in three years and will both have at least productive careers.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree that Russell will really be a "mobile" quarterback by NFL standards. But he's certainly big and strong, and his ability to escape pressure is more predicated upon that than upon 'mobility.' The present QB to which he, at his best, should most compare is IMO Daunte Culpepper. As for Quinn... the Charlie Weiss connection may tell it all-- that is, by the end of his third season he may be like Tom Brady, or like the guy T.Brady replaced, Drew Blesdoe, all 3 of whom Weiss coached.

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Quinn could also be like so many of Spurriers's Qb's, a man of the system. His system hides poor OL and weak arms and is all on reading the D and timing. Most of his Qb's in the pro's good point was they could read the D, bad point was weak arms and a couple from Duke didn't have good OL in the pro's. Rex is still up to lets see.

I don't know if either will be that good, but I've been wrong more than I've been correct.

10. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Based on skills, i would go with Russell, who has the arm strength like Brett Favre, and maybe even better at his age. Although i think this is close, and i'm by no means saying Quinn doesn't have skills...i just think he is not as strong of a player as JaMarcus.

As for field leadership, i would give that advantage to Quinn, although i saw some glimpses of Russell's leadership potential in games like the Sugar Bowl and against Tennessee.

Both of these guys are coming under a lot of hype, and personally i would like to see both of them succeed because the game really does need it.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Detroit and other surprise teams

ed.: This was meant to be a new thread; I failed to click the right button.

I have been wondering how long I should wait before reminding of this post last spring when I mentioned that Detroit was an "upcoming" team, to get this jeer in response. That passing game of their showed a lot late last year, and both their offense and defense have improved overall, earning them a 6-2 record at the midpoint, and one game behind Green Bay in the NFC North.

So Detroit is one surprise team. But Green Bay has to be another. They may be exposed later, but they are there tied for the best record in the NFC and 2nd best in the NFL. Cleveland is another, at 5-3 in the AFC North. New England has to be a surprise with how far and away above every team they have played; being challenged for the first time in Indianapolis yesterday.

The negative surprises are Chicago, last year's NFC champ now at 3-5; St. Louis and Miami, the only winless teams [it's almost as rare to have a winless season in the NFL as to have a lossless season]; and Cincinnati at 2-6. New Orleans was on that list at 0-4, but turned it around 4-0 since that beginning.

For surprise players, no one saw what a force Brady, Moss and Welker would compile for New England. But if they lost Brady or Moss, then what would their chances be in the undefeated season campaign? And are they going to risk playing them too hard and much for the sake of records [QB rating, TD passes, scoring, yardage]? The same question may be asked now of Adrian Peterson; he has probably clinched the ROY award already, and now is Minn going to run him into the ground trying to break rushing yardage record for a season? It wouldn't be smart if they want a lot of good years from him.

Okay...midseason commentary... take it from here.

#11 Alcott, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2007
  12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I was hoping that you forgot that I wrote that. No such luck. :laugh:

This season was when my worst fears came true, that Chicago would stink and the Liedowns would be g... *chokes and gags* That is, they would be a go... *chokes and gags, coughing*. When the Liedowns would be better than average. :smilewinkgrin:

No way do they do that. The only record they're interested in is the record for Super Bowl wins.

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It will be nice to have a meaningful Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit. I think both Detroit and Green Bay are benefitting from easy schedules. They really lucked out this year with their AFC opponents being from the very weak AFC West. But both teams are definitely improved.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This must be the end times, because Kitna looks like a prophet :)

15. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The raiders and the browns are both being smart for putting those young qbs on the bench and giving them a year or two to learn the NFL. Some of those bust qbs were thrust right into the fray - which in salary cap NFL teams are almost forced to do. Look at tony romo - he has been with the boys for at least three years, learning and practicing - just imagine what would have happened to him had he been forced into action right away.. I think that if David Carr had been given a couple years to develop, he would have been a very good qb, same with Joey Harrington.

NE will keep the petal to the metal all year or until INdy loses another game assuring NE of home field throughout the playoffs

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If Derek Anderson keeps playing the way he is, he will be the Browns' franchise QB, and Quinn will go the route of Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay if he doesn't ask for a trade.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One team that can't be too glad to see Cleveland winning games is Dallas, since Dallas gets their #1 pick in next year's draft, and it's well-known they want Darren McFadden, who, assuming he comes out, would be one of the top 3 picks, maybe first.

18. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Cle has a ton of money wrapped up in Brady Quinn. Anderson does put them in a bit of a pickle. Cle will probably wind up having to trade one of the two, esp if Anderson is a free agent after the season - restricted or otherwise. It just costs too much in the salary cap era to have two highly paid Qbs. Quinn will still bring them a high #1, Anderson probably only between a 3 & 5 even with the great season he has had so far.

Cle may want the draft choice after giving Dallas thier #1 for next year, and yea the Dallas talk shows have moaned a bit about Cle's record :). there are a few teams out there that would love to have either of those QBs (da bears perhaps??) It is not uncommon for a good Qb in training going to another team and doing very well - Favre, Trent Green etc

19. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

My guess is it will go about like the Brees/Rivers situation in San Diego. The team will feel forced to keep their high dollar draft pick and trade the older player. So I would look for Anderson to get traded this coming offseason.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Both Quinn and Anderson have cap friendly contracts. Quinn's is heavily incentive laden, and Anderson is making the minumum. The Browns could offer the tendring offer of $2.4 million that would garner a 1st and 3rd round pick as compensation if they don't match. If there is no contract offer (due to not wanting to give up those picks), Anderson will take the offer... most likely, keeping Quinn as the backup for one more year. The upside is great for both QB's, and I would stick with what is proven if I were GM. They are both close in age.