1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured James 2:24

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Mar 22, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

James and Paul are not dealing with justification from the same perspective. Paul is dealing with justification from a theological perspective expressly "before God." James is dealing with justification from a practical DEMONSTRATIVE perspective before men ("shew me....I will shew you....see..).

Nowhere in Romans 3-4 does Paul claim that he is calling on demonstrative evidence "shew me.....I will shew you....see.

However, in Romans 6 Paul demands that the one who has been justified has also been regenerated and that baptism declares the LEGAL consequences of justification by faith - dead to sin - and the PRACTICAL consequences of resurrective regenerative life - righteous service to God.

Although justification by faith is "without works" it is not without regeneration which produces good works (Eph. 2:10). Hence where there is no regenerative fruits there is no justification by faith. This is James point! If you profess to be justified by faith then it will be inseparable from regenerative (living) fruits because there is no such thing as a justified person who is spiritually dead. Where there is justification there is regenerative fruits. Dead faith belongs to the spiritually dead - demons!

From a practical observational perspective justification is not by mere profession of faith but by profession of faith that is accompanied by good works.

#21 The Biblicist, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm sorry biblicist. that is a poor exegete of that passage. James clearly indicates that faith alone without works is useless before God and men but specifically before God.

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Awesome, that is what I would hoped you would say, I was afraid you might say works since your post leans that way.

4. Moriah

Moriah New Member

One of the best of worldly analogies I have heard on this topic.

5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was just telling my third graders this and they just sorta gave me a blank stare. Then I said, "Yeah, I have been studying scripture and theologies for 15 years now and even I still can't understand it". I can read the words but everytime you post this HP it sounds like Charlie Brown's school teacher in my head......whaw whaw whawmp whaw whaw.

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm still trying to figure out the marbles signature :tongue3:

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So in other words, God chooses us because we are good? That's what it sounds like. The prisoner who was good got the pardon whereas the prisoner who was not didn't. Don't you think that kind of contradicts Scripture?

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Absolutely contradicts scripture. God pardons fully those who believe on Jesus Christ, BEFORE they ever do anything good for the Kingdom of God. God does not pardon the sinner and then say "now you do good and I will continue to pardon you". Those who believe this analogy have no understanding of what regeneration, born-again, new covenant, new heart, two become one, Christ in you, sealed by the Holy Spirit, etc, etc, means.

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

No, no, I did not state my position/belief on the issue. I just raised the question of how Protestants deal with the passage and mentioned Luther's problem with it and the Book of James.

10. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I would like to ask you something. What do you think of what Jesus says when he said he remains in the Father’s love because he obeys Him? John 15:10

What do you think would have happened to Cane if when God did not like his offering Cane would of said, “Help me to know how to give better offerings,” or, “Forgive me Father, I want to do better”?

What do you think was the reason God told Abraham to kill his son? Do you not think that God knew Abraham would? Of course, God knew Abraham would, the point of the matter is that Abraham could know that he would obey God in everything, and this is for us to know and understand for ourselves too.

Why do you think David is a man after God’s own heart? God says David was a man after His heart because David would do whatever God told him to do.

Why do you think that Moses did not get to see the Promised Land? It was because Moses did not do exactly what God said to do.

Why do you think Saul had the Holy Spirit taken from him? It was because Saul did not do what God said to do.

#30 Moriah, Mar 23, 2012
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I find it interesting that you have to go to the Old Testament for your proof. How about examples after the Resurrection?

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are more than one of us who read your OP to mean that you were defending Luther's misinterpretation of James. Especially after reading your post #6 after I told you about context and you said that I could talk about context all day but the singular verse meant what it meant.

Apparently I'm not the only one who misunderstood your OP.

13. Moriah

Moriah New Member

John 14:23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Acts 5:32
    We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”

Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 2:13
    For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding is that “works” in James is a qualifier of “faith” (as opposed to Paul’s denial of a works based salvation).

18 But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

I see repentance as necessary for salvation – but not that repentance saves, only that it is part of saving faith. Faith produces works and works are actually a necessary part of true faith. I can say that I believe as much as I want, but if my life proves otherwise then my faith is dead and useless.

I will also say that many Protestants seem to ignore works, even repentance, and actually teach a “dead faith.” I think that much of Luther’s problem was in that his position was reactionary to Catholic doctrine.

What is your position on the passage?

#34 JonC, Mar 23, 2012
  15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I also want to emphasize that taking all scripture literally leads to two things: many different denominations, and rationalizations by denominations of the parts of scripture that don't fit their beliefs, if taken literally.

It must be recognized that their are different viewpoints even within scripture -- as the perspective of James shows. Just as in the OT there was tension and difference between the priestly tradition and the prophetic tradition.

Some feel threatened by this, but there is no need to feel this way.

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Did you not see this from my post #6: "Now before I get jumped on, I am not stating what I believe, yet; I am stating what the passage says."

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wait - you're saying to NOT take the Scriptures literally? To just realize that there is contradiction and that's fine? What "different viewpoints" are there with one Author of the Scriptures? God tells different people different things? What a low view of Scripture.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Okay, since you asked, I'll tell you. :)

I actually agree to a great extent with what you have said, and also with what The Biblicist said, which I thought was pretty good. But I also believe the passage and the import of the chapter and book are in harmony with Romans Chapter 2.

See, I just don't believe everything in scripture is as clear-cut as some would like to make it; if it were, there would be only one denomination. But that doesn't bother me because I can live with a certain amount of ambiguity and mystery. Why? Because there is a lot more to God and His ways that I can ever know, and I am content to let Him be God. I don't have to be able to make infallible pronouncements in His name or act like I know what is the exact and only meaning that a certain scripture can have.

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Oh, dear, that's not what I said. Can you all not grasp what I'm saying?

I'm saying that we all see through a glass, darkly, as Paul asserted.

If there is not more than one way of seeing something in a particular scripture, why do you think there are so many denominations? Are you 100% certain that you are 100% correct and everyone else is 100% wrong?

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said the singular verse meant what it meant. I was just taking your own words in that singular sentence to mean what it meant. LOL! :laugh:

Brother, you aren't going to get anymore "clear-cut" than the book of James. And it isn't the Bible's alledged "ambiguity and mystery" that leads to denominationalism. It's that faulty heart and mind of man. To much of humanity's pride and desire to justify their own will enters into every single denomination out there.

Peter and Paul couldn't agree on all the ins and outs of salvation and they had heard from Jesus Christ personally!