1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James 2:8

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by CubeX, Apr 3, 2005.

1. CubeX

CubeX New Member

James 2:18 - "If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right.

Is this referring to the statement made by Jesus about which is the greatest commandment, or has this statement always been considered, by Jewish tradition, to have high authority?

Just wondering if anyone knew!
    -David

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

He is referring to the statement of Jesus in the Gospels which ties back to Deuteronomy.

3. CubeX

CubeX New Member

Yes, I knew that it was tied back to Deut. But I was wondering if James was referring to a book from the gospels which was not canonized at the time. Or perhaps this was always considered one of the most important commandments. Or, lastly, perhaps he knew that Jesus stated this. I was curious to see if a connection could be drawn from book to book, much like in the Old Testament, or if all that could be concluded is that it was stated by Jesus, therefore creating a connection from the early church doctrine to Jesus' statements.

-David

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From his reference to "royal law" (Moses wouldn't be referred to as royalty) and the use of the phrase "law of liberty" in verse twelve, I think James is strongly referring to Jesus' use of this command over the OT use of the command.

Having said that, I do believe that the OT use was very common, familiar and authoritative to Jews of that time.

5. CubeX

CubeX New Member

Okay, so I think that it is safe to conclude that this is a cross-confirmation from book to book on what Christ said. Thanks!
    -David

6. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not sure if you are drawing the right conclusions.

What do you mean by a cross-confirmation of the books?

James is referring to Jesus' use of the command which is from the OT, but when he calls it "Scripture", he is likely talking about OT scripture and how Jesus quoted OT scripture as a royal law. The gospel writings likely were not percieved as "Scripture" yet as of the writing of James.

7. CubeX

CubeX New Member

I mean that there is a specific confirmation of Christ's wordings and early church doctrines instead of the majority -- general confirmations.

-David

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

The NASB, 1995, reads,
    James 2:8. If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF," you are doing well.

The use of all uppercase letters in the NASB New Testament signifies a quote from the Old Testament. I agree with their judgment. There is no suggestion here that James is quoting Jesus or that he was aware of any written gospels.

[​IMG]

9. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What about oral traditions? Also, James being in Jerusalem probably did have access to some of the early copies of the gospels. He also had access to the disciples themselves or maybe heard it first hand.

10. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

These considerations, whatever may be their merit or the lack thereof, are irrelevant to the passage at hand.

[​IMG]

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These considerations, whatever may be their merit or the lack thereof, are irrelevant to the passage at hand.

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]My point is that you don't have to justify the canonicity of the gospels to say that James quoted Jesus.