1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James Dobson's Political Surrender

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, May 15, 2009.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dobson stopped be relevant years ago. I for one welcome the exit!

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Was he ever relevant to you?

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to his place once when he was in California and once in Colorado Springs. It seemed nice enough. I think it is a good idea to be "focus on the family". I don't think it is a good idea to mix politics and religion, something he did more and more the older he got.

It should be noted not all of Colorado Springs thinks he's great. There is a popular bumper sticker "Focus on Your Own Darn Family". This pretty much captures my sentiment concerning Dobson.

4. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well yes, you've said that Dr Dobson is clueless on another thread, so I'm not surprised that you feel he's irrelevent. He's written some helpful books, he gives good practical advice re: relationships and child-rearing. Maybe if he wasn't so conservative you might not be so happy to see him go.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mixing politics and religion is not a conservative value

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The term "mixing politics and religion" is a misnomer and simply political propaganda nothing more. It is hypocritical to live dual lives. Our Christianity should fall over into politics as well else our politics is godless and that is antithetical to Christian living.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Of course liberals and moderate Christians(compromising) are not going to like James Dobson. He has stood for what is right for many years and endured much criticism for it. I for one am thankful for what he has done and still stands for. What we need is more men of true conviction like Dr. Dobson and not this liberal mishmash that we have today.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then libbie Christians need to stay away from the Democrat party. See what libbies do not like is their very close relationship to the democrat party is exposed. So if they can guilt everyone into thinking that it is wrong to be involved in politics then they can work their agenda guilt free and remain under the radar as an arm of the Democrat party. Supporting abortion and all its evil. Voting for the current Alinsky Administration is as "dirty' as you can get.

#29 Revmitchell, May 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  10. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's different. (isn't it??)

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think mixing politics and religion is a good thing then you set yourself apart the history of Christianity and of Baptists. That's not conservative any way you slice it!

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right as rain on this one. Anyone who believes mixing politics and religion does not know their history.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You should check the history of the founding of this country. It is apparent you do not know it at all. Of course libbies need to pretend they don't themselves. But they could not be more closely aligned with the Democrat party.

#33 Revmitchell, May 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  14. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

Well it sure ain't the Baptist way !!! Anyone who believes otherwise doesn't know Baptist history !

15. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

What do you do with your Christianity when you go to work or to vote? Do you hang it on the nearest door knob to keep it out of the way so there will be no intrusion in your private life? I really don't think you do this, but how can we leave our religious beliefs out of all aspects of our life?

16. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Obviously so-called liberal Christians do when it comes to politics and certain politically correct movements in society otherwise:

1. How could they vote for baby killers like obama and Clinton?

2. How could they support homosexual perversion as an acceptable alternate lifestyle?

3. How could they support the covenant of marriage between these perverts?

17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If conservative Christians are supposed to stay out of politics and influencing the government then why are these so called Baptists (liberals masquerading as Baptists) interfering with an act of the state legislator? They should keep their political opinions out of the public arena just as they tell us to do. They tell the conservatives to keep to stay out of government when they themselves are just as active. Rev. has them pegged. They are just as guilty of what they are accusing the conservatives of. I think it's called hypocrisy and it stinks to high heaven.

#37 sag38, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you are the ones uninformed about your history. Quit listening to Barton and his bunch and pick up an actual history book!

Baptists where the ones insistent on freedom of religion, others wanted to establish an official state church, which some states actually had, Virgina, Massachusetts, South Carolina, Maryland for example. Baptists where the ones proclaiming that it's not freedom if you aren't free to say no!

Can you name one place where church and state have mixed and it turned out to be a good thing?

When given every opportunity to spell out in the Constitution that America was specifically a Christian nation, our founders DIDN'T!

No one is asking for a private citizen to leave their religious beliefs anywhere, how could you? Like me they inform and shape my beliefs, chief of those is taking serious the words of Jesus when he says "my kingdom is not of this world". Jesus didn't need the right kind of people in power to transform the world and I don't believe we do either. What if all the time and money spent on trying to win elections was spent instead on spreading the Gospel (Matt 28) and feeding the hungry (Matt 25), would so many think of Christianity as unloving and irrelevant to their everyday lives?

Elections don't transform lives, Jesus does.

I don't know why believers vote for whom they vote for, that is between them and the Lord. I have however committed myself to no longer questioning someones Christianity just because of the box they check on election day, there has to be more "fruit inspection" then just that.

19. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You miss the point. Individuals are not to stay out of government. It is religious institutions that should stay of. In history it has always been bad when religious institutions become too involved with government. Look at the Middle Ages in Europe. Look at the Mid-East today. When religious institutions become too involved with government or actually control the government very bad things start to happen. Like wise, when the government controls religious institutions ... very bad.

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was primarily Virginia Baptists who fought for and won religious freedom for you, me and all of us. It also was Virginia Baptist who fought and won the the separation of church and state. They knew first hand what happened when religion becomes too involved with government.