1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James Pendleton Excluded?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Dr. David E. Stafford, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Dr. David E. Stafford

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello all,

I am doing a little writing pertaining to the landmark movement. I am well aware of the occurrences at Nashville First Baptist that led to the exclusion of J. R. Graves and Dayton, but somewhere in my memory there is a tidbit of question concerning James M. Pendleton and whether he had been excluded by the Baptist church to which he belonged in Hopkinsville before going to pastor in Bowling Green, Kentucky. My memory is fuzzy on the issue, and I have been unable to find reference to it in my library, but for some reason, the thought continues to resonate in my mind. I will relate the nagging anecdote, and you can tell me if it was Pendleton or someone else.

The preacher in question had been a member of a body. For some reason he was excluded by that church and went to another body where he was taken in by statement. After pastoring the second church for a number of years, the church that excluded the brother experienced some sort of internal trouble and called the brother they had previously excluded to be their pastor.

Did a similar scenario happen to Pendleton? If so, where is a good reference for the events? If not, am I recounting the events of another landmarker?

Thanks for your help.
    David

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Dr. David E. Stafford

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Brother. That is exactly the dialogue I was thinking of. Can't believe I missed that one, lol. I have a copy of Middle Tennessee Baptist on my desk. Sometimes it is the simple things that elude us.

I am a member of Siloam Missionary Baptist Church in Macon County, Tennessee, right outside of Westmoreland, Sumner County, where I live. All of these events took place in my relative backyard.

The Landmark Movement has always interested me. I personally subscribe to the majority of the tenants of Landmarkism, but the movement itself, that led by Graves, Dayton, Pendleton, and others, was like so many other movements in Baptist history . . . it led to unintended consequences. I have always made the claim that Graves and Dayton, with their exclusion from Nashville First, the establishment of Spring Street, and in line Gallatin First, weakened the modern conception of church authority over its members. In Pendleton's Manual (I have no love loss), Pendleton took a great blow at church authority in his discourse to defend "wrongfully" excluded brothers. Graves and Dayton were anything but excluded wrongfully, in my opinion.

Thank you for your help Jerome. I am actually a little embarrassed I didn't figure that out myself.

David

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to help. Baptist history folks here have found that Hathi Trust site useful, it has lots of old books digitized and searchable.

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Related to Pendleton and Hopkinsville, there is a history booklet of FBC Hopkinsville HERE.

6. Dr. David E. Stafford

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you rlvaughn. I have enjoyed reading your post from the past. Very enlightening.