1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James Robison

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by D28guy, Mar 17, 2005.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I remember way back when I was 1st born again James Robison was a pretty firey Baptist(I believe) evangelist. He then acknowledged having a change of direction, due to a fresh touch of the Holy Spirit, which led him to be less "firey", and more laid back in his approach.

I remember he talked of God opening up his understanding to the fact that he was too judgemental and "hard hearted". He began his daily broadcast with his wife, and I thought it was just excellant. I loved this new emphasis of his. He wasnt compromising anything that I could tell, but was simply ministering in a different way.

Well, here lately any time I catch him and his wife on TV they seem to be doing infomercials for vitamins or something. Is he just doing this as side thing in order to fund his broadcast?

I sure hope thats the case. Not that I think thats the best way to go for funding, because I dont. But I hope its that rather than James simply bailing on his broadcast.

Anyone know whats going on?

(I'm not trying to start anything. Honestly. I just used to really be blessed by that broadcast and I'm wondering why he is doing infomercials now.)

Thanks,

Mike

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been noticing the same exact thing!

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Was he the one who (as was shown in a clip on a PBS special about Christianity years ago) who shouted "I AM SICK OF ALL THE PERVERTS, HOMOSEXUALS, ATHEISTS, LIBERALS, COMMUNISTS; [etc.] COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET AND... [forget exact words; but basically something like "capturing the minds of our children" or whatever]! IT IS TIME WE STAND UP AND CHANGE AMERICA!!!
    (Almost all of them were the same back then; so I couldn't tell them apart. I just remember hearing the names, and try to remember who said what).
    This was back in the 80's when the top preachers were known for thundering morality and allegiance to God and the nationalistic emphasis it was mixed in with; but cared nothing about issues of poverrty, world hunger and relief, and other issues like race. They focused on the areas where the THOUGHT they had an upper hand over everyone else; and ignored those where they obviously wer on the side of evil, or at least benefitted from it. Bt it was the scandals shortly afterwards that showed that even in morality they were no beter than anyone else; and greatly changed televangelism. They were humbled, and some turned to a more friendlier and caring approach; including focusing on world relief. (others, of course went a different direction and become more wrapped up in money and sensationalism; with claims of signs and miracles abounding. But they still don;t DARE preach fire and brimstone anymore!)

When I first saw Robison on his current show; I was so shocked (especially if it was him who preached that screaming message before). While that earlier approach only further turned off the very secular society they were so mad was not listening to them; this new approach is exactly what everyone thought Christianity should be about all along!

4. music4Him

music4Him New Member

D28guy,
    I have seen other televangelist promoting health info and dietary infomercials.
    Rod Parsley with Dr. Ted Boer(sp?)(foods that can hurt you), John Hagee(sp?) with Dr.cobert (or something like that?) eating healthy, and then James and Betty with the vitamins. They say they make them feel better and give them energy so they of course want to share their energy secrets. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they are being truthful and sincere when they say it has helped them so they can help others. As for me I'll still buy the vitamins I can afford. [​IMG] Nothing wrong with making extra money outside of their ministry for their own needs as long as its honest. Maybe some of the other televangelist will follow suit?

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the question is , not the legitamacy of the ads, but are these ads superceding the "ministry" in the TV time slots?

I am sorta like D28guy on this; seems like during my "flipping" episodes, I see more & more of this couple doing infomercials as opposed to preaching, having guests, reporting on their mission trips etc.

6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Thats exactly what I was wondering about. Is this all they are doing now? In other words, are they still doing that wonderful broadcast they used to have? I think it was called "Life Today", or something like that.

It was just excellant. Just James and Betty having casual conversation with the guests.

Mike

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Mike [​IMG] they are still doing "Life Today". I was just watching them yesterday. Kathy Trocolli(sp?) was their guest.

8. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Here the TV listing for Kentucky.~

KENTUCKY

LEXINGTON
    WUPX
    PAX
    Mon-Fri
    8:30A

LOUISVILLE
    WBNA
    IND
    Mon-Fri
    6:00A

LOUISVILLE
    WBNA
    IND
    Mon-Fri
    11:30A

PADUCAH-C.GIRD-HARBG-MT VN
    WTCT
    TCT
    Mon-Fri
    8:00A

PADUCAH-C.GIRD-HARBG-MT VN
    WTCT
    TCT
    Mon-Fri
    2:00P

9. D28guy

D28guy New Member

music4Him,

Thanks!

I'm glad to hear they are still doing that program. The Lexington station would be the one for us, but that particular station isnt included on our cable system. I used to see it on in the early afternoon on our cable, but they moved it to some other time. Probably when I'm sleeping since I never see it anymore.

I never did think of this, but I may check their web-site...if they have one...and see if they stream it on there.

I like Kathy Troccoli. My wife and I saw her on tour a few years ago near here and it was the week of christmas so it was a special christmas concert. Very very good. She seemed really down to earth.

God bless,

Mike