1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James White at Golden Gate

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you!

Thank you for those kind words!!!

I hope God answers your prayers.

sdg!:smilewinkgrin:

rd

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

What are the reasons?

Yeah.............then there's Thomas Ice, the R C Sproul's (Jr & Sr), Kenneth Gentry, George Grant, Joseph Morecraft, et. al. So, what's the reasons? I'd love to know.

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning James White's Credentials

It is possibly (probably) the Sovereignty of God?!

sdg!

rd

:thumbsup:

:wavey:

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==When you consider that Tommy Ice and James White "BOTH" teach on a part-time basis, and when you consider the number of people with PhDs (both accredited and non-accredited) you will see how rare people like Ice and White are. If you desire to teach full-time, at an accredited college/university/seminary then you better get an accredited degree. Unless you plan on becoming a popular speaker/author first (but even then it would probably only be part-time jobs).

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

But then again not everybody wants to TEACH in a COLLEGE or SEMINARY,some just want to go plant a church, be the second man or just become a better Christian.

You guys act like White and Ice and those who have become recognized did so in spite of the fact that some school tried to drain thier brain.You don't seem willing to give credit for anything not on your own particular list. I have learned a great deal from most of you and really appreciate and respect most of what you have to say, but I think you need to loosen up a little and give credit where credit is due.I can't imagine how hard of a time Moody and Sprugeon would be having trying to start a school up in these times , since nobody starts out accredited and not everybody is looking for accreditation.

You ask yourself what makes some of these schools attractive?Here goes:
    They believe the Bible is true word for word cover to cover.
    They are not trying to be calvinist or arminean in thier theology or doctrine.
    They believe in pre-mil, pre-trib rapture of the church.
    They believe OSAS.
    They believe in the creation account as given in the Bible(6 days).
    They believe in all of the miracles as written in the Bible.
    They are somewhat affordable.
    They can be done from where the student is.
    They want some hard skills,hands on over and above academic skills.They know when they have a mentor (or have to account to a pastor)that they will know how to do visitation,build a bus ministry,learn to teach a SS class,do practicle evangelism.
    Due to a variety of reasons they don't trust most Bible colleges and seminaries that are accredited.

I think the above criterea is more important than ease of earning a degree.:BangHead:

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    P O B Response!

Hey Bill,

How are you? It has been a while since you and I have talked.

You said:

"You guys act like White and Ice and those who have become recognized did so in spite of the fact that some school tried to drain thier brain.You don't seem willing to give credit for anything not on your own particular list. I have learned a great deal from most of you and really appreciate and respect most of what you have to say, but I think you need to loosen up a little and give credit where credit is due.I can't imagine how hard of a time Moody and Sprugeon would be having trying to start a school up in these times , since nobody starts out accredited and not everybody is looking for accreditation."

I want to make sure the record states that I have not impugned the integrity of Dr. James White in any way.

I disavow the "You guys..." of the quote above. I am not one of the "You guys...."

I don't think that you meant me to be one of those. I mean no disrespect or any criticism whatsoever just clarification.

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

7. Plain Old Bill

Hey Rhet,
    Good to talk to ya. I been busy reading Calvin's Institutes and Grudem's Theology as well as still trying to teach myself Greek. Plus it's been a little quiet here as far as topics of any real interest. I have been Peeking in though.
    As a matter of fact you were not included in that group. I am assuming you are still a mentor at Columbia. The reason I mention them is I'm leaning in that direction somewhat, designing my own program of study is very appealing.How are your language skills?:1_grouphug:

8. Plain Old Bill

Oh, by the way, I am not trying to be insulting either. I'm just trying to get folks to think a little outside of thier own box and get a little understanding of what many are really looking for. Does that make sense?:godisgood:

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

10. Plain Old Bill

Sometimes you are so funny I have to laugh. Thanks.:laugh: :thumbs:

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

You ask yourself what makes some of these schools attractive?Here goes:

==

Is this a quality not found in accreditedschools, then?

==

===

help me understand why eschatology must be precise, but soteriology is wide open.

==

They believe OSAS.

==

well then, how are they Arminian?

==

==

But this is true of EACH and EVERY TRACS accredited schools!

==

==

So, distance education is only done at UA schools , and inexpensive SA is not an option?

==
    They want some hard skills,hands on over and above academic skills.

===

I think you'll find that most accredited MDiv programs have about 1/3 praxis.

===

They know when they have a mentor (or have to account to a pastor)that they will know how to do visitation,build a bus ministry,learn to teach a SS class,do practicle evangelism.

===

You've got me there. Bus driving is a part of no accred MDiv that I know. Seems might be a difficut subject for DE instruction.

===
    Due to a variety of reasons they don't trust most Bible colleges and seminaries that are accredited.

==

Difficult to respond to something indefinite.

==

I think the above criterea is more important than ease of earning a degree.:BangHead:[/quote]

==

I think ease may be a part of why some opt for UA grad programs.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer to Questions...

==As far as a seminary goes this IS one of the most important factors to consider. I say "one" because you have to make sure they believe in the Divinity of Christ, the Trinity, the Personhood of the Holy Spirit, and a literal resurrection (etc).

==That rules out alot of schools. I think of Knox, Reformed, Southern, Liberty, and Southwestern. Each of these schools generally push one view or the other (while I am sure exceptions exist in some). So I am not sure I agree with this critera. While I strongly lean in the Calvinistic direction I have a degree from a some what Arminian school (Liberty).

==Not that important to me. Well at least the pre-tribulational rapture. While I am pre-tribulational I realize that Godly Christians can and will disagree over this issue.

They believe OSAS.

==I don't know about this. Personally I DON'T really believe in OSAS. While I reject the idea that a person can lose their salvation I believe that those who don't persevere show they are not saved. So I like the phrase "The Perseverence of the Saints". OSAS is somewhat different. If you don't believe me read Charles Stanley's book "Eternal Security" and compare it to John MacArthur's book on the subject (Saved Without A Doubt). I could attend a school that taught OSAS or Perseverence but I don't think I could attend a fully Arminian school. That would just drive me up a wall :BangHead:

==This is a must, agreed.

==This is a must, agreed.

==That would be nice and it is certainly part of the picture.

==Again a nice benefit.

They want some hard skills,hands on over and above academic skills.They know when they have a mentor (or have to account to a pastor)that they will know how to do visitation,build a bus ministry,learn to teach a SS class,do practicle evangelism.

==If the person is going to be a pastor I agree. Others should not be requried to take those classes.

==Well if you are talking about Wake Forest Divinity School, Duke Divintiy School, Yale, Princeton, Harvard, Union, etc, than I fully agree. However there are many fine accredited schools out there.

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    P O B Language Skills Reply

POB,

If you are considering seriously Columbia, may I make a suggestion? (I am going to make it any way!):tongue3:

Get your pastor or someone in close proximity to you to process/apply for the mentorship @ Columbia. Then you can find a close ministry context and do both praxis and academics simultaneously while being mentored or overseen by them.

Then you could fill the void of those (seemingly) anti-intellectuals here on the BB by doing and learning at the same time. You could use your ministry context as your laboratory.

The way Columbia is set up, you could even design a new ministry concept, write it up, and execute it and get the 3 sem. hrs. credit. That is one of the things that makes Columbia's approach so unique.

Just a thought!

FYI!:thumbsup:

sdg!

rd

#33 Rhetorician, Nov 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2006
  14. Plain Old Bill

Dear UzThD,
    There is more to it than learning how to drive a bus which you would learn at church (one of the bus captains would help you).There is learning to develop and grow a bus route.There is follow-up visitation and getting to know the parents of the children on your bus route, inviting them along to church as well, presenting the gospel message to the whole household as you get to know the family.

The Calvinist/Arminean thought was to point more toward what is taught in the Bible than what the two main bodies of theology teach. The word calminean comes to mind but it is still not quite appropriate.

Knowing where someone stands on the rapture will tell you something about the rest of thier theology.I don't want to spend my study time protecting myself from what my professor is teaching.If we can't agree on a few things in the beginning I don't want to waste my time.

Some are always going to take the easy ride. I don't think there is anything we can do about those folks.

I know you have a particular expertise in DE, so I especially respect your views.I love the fact that TRACS is gaining more respect and recognition and am hoping more and more schools turn to TRACS. I don't know if there is a way in which TRACS could accredit an undergraduate program and not a graduate program from the same school but I think that would be helpful in some cases.It would also be useful if they could separate professional graduate degrees from research degrees for accreditation.What think you?

Your Friend in Christ,

POB Bill

15. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Who perseveres?

Like my good friend Roger, I rather think of "Perseverence of the Saviour" than "Perseverence of the Saints." If it depends on me, I may not perservere--my Saviour will.

16. Plain Old Bill

Amen Paid!:thumbsup:

17. UZThD

UZThD New Member

The Calvinist/Arminean thought was to point more toward what is taught in the Bible than what the two main bodies of theology teach. The word calminean comes to mind but it is still not quite appropriate.

==

Bill:

Forgive my confrontiveness, please!

I think representatives of each group would say their opinion is taught in the Bible. To say,"Give me Bible not Calvinism or Arminianism" IMO is presumptuous. One can hold views which are pure assumption and call it "Bible."

MY MA in Theol is from an Arminian school...didn't hurt me a bit!

==

Knowing where someone stands on the rapture will tell you something about the rest of thier theology.

===

Is that right? As for me I lean toward Post Trib, but am unsure. After thorough study, I remain undecided!

Now, what does that tell you about the rest of my Theology?

My beliefs on prologomena are?
    on Theology proper??
    on Christology???
    on Pneumatology????
    on Anthropology?????
    on Soteriology??????

Be specific now all based on my indecision on the rapture.

Or here: contrast the soteriology of Feinberg and Moo given their differences on the Rapture.

===

I don't want to spend my study time protecting myself from what my professor is teaching.If we can't agree on a few things in the beginning I don't want to waste my time.

===

So, you know more than does your professor about his subject? I agree ; don't waste your time...or his(or hers).

==

Your friend,

Bill

18. Plain Old Bill

You are right I won't. There are all kinds of people in all kinds of colleges and seminaries with doctorates. Are you trying to tell me they all have thier theology correct?

My best guess about you is:
    You are probably a Regular Baptist or lean in that direction.If that's not so then you are probably some form of Reformist in a southern baptist church.
    You are probably a 4 or 5 point calvinist.
    Your favorite translation of the Bible is probably NASB.Mine is ESV.
    You are probably also a cessationist.
    I would be curious to know your beliefs on the creation account in Genisis.
    You think that the rapture will be at least seven years from now if the tribulation were to start at this moment so that rules out the eminant return of the Lord.

I could be wrong on all of this but I think I'm closer then you thought I would be.

19. Plain Old Bill

On the differences in soteriolgy between Douglas Moo and John Feinburg, would'nt it be easier to look in "Continuity and Discontinuity" by S.Lewis Johnson and John Feinburg.
    Does'nt that discuss the difference in O.T salvation and N.T. salvation.I have'nt read that yet but plan to in the near future.:godisgood:

20. UZThD

UZThD New Member

#40 UZThD, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2006