1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Japanese NT First Draft Finished

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Aug 18, 2008.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who have shown interest in our new Japanese NT translation from the TR, I have finished the first draft. In the translation process I have learned much Bible, translation theory, linguistics, and Japanese grammar, syntax and vocabulary. What a blessing and privilege!

So to celebrate, I took my wife out to eat last night at "Five Star," an all-you-can-eat restaurant where you barbecue your meat on a grill in the middle of the table. Scrumptious! The "five stars" are: Korean barbecue, Japanese (love that salmon sushi), western, Chinese, noodles (ramen). There are also dessert and salad bars (both rare in Japan).

Also, week before last the revision committee finished revising half of the NT, including John, Matthew, Romans, Revelation, Acts. My partners are "Uncle Miya," a retired English teacher who is an excellent Japanese and English linguist, and Frank now retired from Japan and doing furlough replacement ministry. Uncle Miya's chops included being the final editor on the English translation of a famous Japanese novel, Shiokari Pass by Ayako Miura. Frank was a US Air Force linguist, a Russian analyst who flew out of Viet Nam as well as out of Turkey monitoring Russian fighter pilots.

We still have much to do, including trial versions of John and Romans (after they have been corrected by my editors), finishing the second draft, adding corrections from the editors to the rest of the NT, etc. Editors include two Japanese pastors, a missionary, a Japanese layman and my son Paul, currently working on his Ph. D. in NT Greek linguistics at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.

#1 John of Japan, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats to you and your team JoJ! Good job.

Western-style restaurants are common in most of the bigger cities.Does Five Star have chairs?I don't squat so well.Whenever I'm invited out,it's usually at a chairless restaurant.

You'll have to translate the translation of at least one book like Jude for us into English.What? You've already done enough work?

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks!

Squat restaurants? Not fun! Most restaurants in Japan nowadays have chairs, as does Five Star. Some have both chairs and tatami mat sections, but we usually try to get the chairs. The old knees aren't what they used to be. [​IMG]
    Not likely to happen. Sorry! :saint:

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have forgotten if you have already told us before,but what was the hardest New Testament book to translate?What are the reasons for the difficulties?

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found Romans to be the hardest by far because of Paul's complicated syntax. He can go on with clause after clause all in one sentence. Japanese has difficulty with that kind of syntax, since it has a very regular grammar, with the main verb always coming at the end of the sentence for example. Also, Japanese has no infinitives or participles. So verb transformations from Paul's writings, esp. Romans, can be difficult.

Some translators consider Revelation to be difficult, but I treated it as a normal narrative and enjoyed it. However, when we went to revise it, that was a different story! Japan doesn't have much of a tradition of prophecy of any kind, though Shinto has various forms of fortune telling. :type:

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Praise God for this news John and thank you for your work!!

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, brother! :wavey:

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Rejoicing with you- may the Lord richly bless His word and the new translation be found fruitful.

:godisgood:

9. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Congrats, John! A big first step has been accomplished.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Mexdeaf and franklinmonroe! :wavey:

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah 52:7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

My husband has been wondering lately how your work was going, so we are excited to hear this news!

Congratulations and you deserve a rest!

:applause:

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Great news brother!!!

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

John, I just noticed this one. Congrats!

And I love what you did in your celebration.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, folks! God is good. :wavey:

In our revision committee also we've reached a milestone. We finished revising half of the NT. I wanted to take Frank and Uncle Miya out, but Uncle Miya never goes out for a number of personal reasons. So when they got to the church Friday I had Starbucks Frappacinos waiting for them. (The expresso machine was broken down or I might have gotten lattes. The young lady was so apologetic!)

It was the first ever Starbucks for Uncle Miya. He chose the plain coffee one, took a taste and said, "It's a sherbet, right?" :smilewinkgrin:

16. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

congrats John. No telling how many wil l be blessed over the years from your hard work. God bless you and your team.:applause::thumbs: :applause: :thumbs:

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks brother!

18. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

You know what I think about the TR! :) AMEN!

AMEN! & AMEN! :)

I Have studied God's Word many years also... And, though I have no appreciation for the willful and Compassionless seperation among the brethren (Though before the Lord alone vindicated is found) remember friend?, ... I do have great appreciation for the conveying of God's Word to the Believer and the Lost in a reliable translation in their own language! May God reward you for your work of love that He has promised not to forget!

And, May God speed the remainder of the Translation Work!

#18 Apreacher4Him, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, brother! :wavey:

Sorry, I don't remember any separation between us. I have no uneasy memories of you on the Baptist Board or elsewhere. If I need to apologize for something, please send me a PM (Private Message).

20. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Praise the Lord brother. What about printing? How far away are you from printing? How are funds for printing? Feel free to PM me the details.