1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jason Lisle and Hugh Ross debate

Discussion in 'Science' started by Gup20, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the book by Hugh Ross, and as well as I remember, his proofs were nothing more than the evolutionists use to "prove" and old earth; IE science.

I would have absolutely no problem with an old earth if I were not a Christian, but this fact changes my whole paradigm.

3. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mercury, UTE, Paul o E

Any of you guys listen to the whole debate?

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The quality of Dr. Ross' audio is so poor that I can hardly hear him at times.

The same interview with better quality is presented on Hugh Ross's site, "Reasons to Believe" using RealPlayer.

HUGH ROSS/JASON LISLE DISCUSSION

Is Jason Lisle the same Jason that was trying to debate this topic on this BaptistBoard a while back?

Rob

5. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Do you have a transcript? I really am not going to sit and listen to that for any length of time. A transcript iwill read. I read one from a debate with Jonathon Wells over the weekend. Didn't bother with the audio and could not even tell you if it was offered.

6. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  7. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I doubt it. Jason Lisle is a PhD in astrophysics.

8. Mercury

Mercury New Member

That transcript would have been a lot shorter without all the pot-shots from the AiG peanut gallery.

While I don't agree with either debater about the creation days, on the age-of-the-earth issue I agree with Ross.

This is what I thought was the best point of the debate (my slight changes are in brackets):
    In one exchange, I think Ross missed a perfect opening. They were discussing Jesus' statement in Mark 10:6 that "But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female' ":
    At this point, Ross should have asked, "How long did creation take?" Lisle would of course respond, "Six 24-hour days." Ross could then reply, "So the beginning of creation would be the first day, not the sixth day? And yet Genesis 1 states that the first humans, male and female, were made on the sixth day. Was Jesus wrong, since this actually happened at the end of the period you call creation and not at the beginning?"

The point, of course, is that there's many ways to take Mark 10:6 literally. What Lisle wants isn't for everyone to read the verse literally, but to read it the same way he reads it. He rejects other literal interpretations just as quickly as other people reject his interpretation.