1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jeremiah 31:22

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeremiah 31:22 How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the LORD hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass a man. (KJV)

Theologians have considered this verse as a prophetical statement regarding the Virgin Birth. Some agree; some disagree. Consider these two conflicting statements by two commentaries:

What think ye?

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

That's an interesting one! The verse is definitely Messianic - but I'm not sure the verse is specifically about Mary. It seems like God is talking to Israel as a woman (generic). His new thing is that the (weaker) woman (Israel) shall surround the (stronger) man. Thus in God's new covenant (in Christ) He will condescend to that point that we can touch Him! A good explanation of this can be found in Keil and Delitzch's OT set. [​IMG]

3. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I think, in context, the "backsliding daughter" is Israel, at least according to chapter 3 verses 14 and 22. And the "new thing" is the restoration of Israel which we also see in Isaiah 42:9 using very similar language. As to the "woman shall compass a man" it seems to be saying that the woman, Israel, will again return to a close intimate relationship, characterized as something akin to a hug, with her LORD. At least that is my understanding, with a little help from the Zondervan Study Bible.