1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jeri Massi and Astrology

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Truth Seeker, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeri Massi is one who has refuted many extremes in ifb churches. But she also believes that one can predict things based on astrology. She uses the argument that in the bible the magis and Daniel also were astrologers. She believes that this is what Jesus meant when He said to look His sign in the heavens.

Isn't astrology condemned in the bible? Is there a bad and good astrology?

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know enough about the person to make a comment about her personally. However, her position seems to fall under Scriptures' strictures on prophecy.

3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would remind y'all of this forum's guidelines. And in particular these sentences from the first paragraph:
    This forum was born out of a cry from many who despaired that their conservative and traditional views were constantly being attacked. It was designed to be a type of safe haven where one can post and be assured that others on the forum at least agree that the Bible is true and accurate, and will not question the Word of God in the course of the debate.​

4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a sharp delineation between astronomy and astrology today. The ancients used the stars to track the passing of time, in addition to what we would consider astrology today. Using the stars to track time is a good use.

And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, Gen 1:14

But using the stars for other purposes was condemned in other verses.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Seems to me that it is about misuse, instead of uses as in as you say 'to track time' as in writing of horoscopes, predicting the future. This is not something I've looked into though.

I did look in a perfunctory manner for Massi via google and astology and what I saw was vague. She does seem a little odd imo... (I read a review she wrote on an astrology book)

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As soon as you make this sort of blanket statement, I put my size nines into the matter. I won't deny that there hasn't been or currently is abuse occurring in some Fundamental Baptist Churches. I will however deny that Fundamental Baptist equals Abusive Baptist. In other words, each and every Fundamental Baptist church is not an abusive one.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and no doubt the Magi were following Daniel's instructions to them pertaining to those times, after all, he was 'Dean of the Magi' some six centuries earlier.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Divination in any form is sin. Christians should avoid anything related to divination such as fortune-telling, astrology, witchcraft, tarot cards, necromancy, and spell-casting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

We have to be careful about things like this. Because as Truth Seeker said, divination is not okay.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well she argues for two types of divination in the bible. The good divination was practiced by Joseph, David, Daniel, the Magis and even the apostles of Jesus Christ. She claims that the good divination was instituted under the law.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it would be good to invite Jeri into this discussion. She is well able to hold her own and how the Scriptures are used to support her thinking.

Some of us have communicated with Jeri long ago on another forum, and found both agreement and disagreement.

I will say, she is skilled in martial arts and doesn't mind a good match.

12. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's possible to be a martial arts champion and be wrong in one's theology. Does anyone knows of a bible scholar or teacher who would agree that there is a good type of astrology taught in the bible? If so, please include the names, thanks!

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerri is also an author.

Amazon

Schizophrenic Christianity seeks to demonstrate a link between the Fundamentalist mind set and child abuse.

She recently updated her research and includes more from recent accounts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that, since she has a blog and has written several books I see no problem using her name in public. If she was just a layperson then I would have done it privately.

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is in the Baptist-only section. I believe Miss Massi is some sort of Presbyterian.

What in the world do the gal's astrology views have to do with Baptist Fundamentalism?

16. Internet Theologian

Sounds like an interesting read, I'll have to check it out.

17. Internet Theologian

So Baptists can't discuss Presby's? Is that a rule for this forum?

18. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are good questions. Since she has refuted baptist fundamentalism I thought this would be a good place to discuss her views. I believe she was once a Calvinist so she might still be a Presbyterian but don't know that for sure. Come to think about it, I don't think she has a statement of faith on her blog or where she attends church.

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is clear that the thread is:

1) about a person, not a denomination. You need to get that when questioning the placement of a thread in any forum.
    2) it is about the fundamental position of astronomy. Jeri was saved and brought into a fundamentalist church from the Catholic background, attended and graduated from fundamental schools, including BJU, and has insight into fundamentalism.
    3) she is also into astronomy - that she would contend that what she considers Biblical is part of this discussion, which is why I suggested inviting her into the discussion.
    4) she left "baptist" fundamentalism - no doubt - but was for some time a baptist fundamentalist.
    In my opinion (which she wouldn't share), her discouragement over the massive abuse and cover ups by fundamental "leadership" and the lack of the local assemblies owning the problem and biblically dealing with the victims drove her out. She remains fundamental and (if I recall) Presbyterian. ​

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is about a person's position on astrology. That is what the op is all about. It's not an attack on the person or her salvation. Perhaps some christians would agree with her but not all. This is a forum where one can discuss a person's beliefs without bashing the person. Can anyone state why they agree or disagree that astrology can be practiced by born again christians today?

• Agree Agree x 2