1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jericho's Walls

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by pinoybaptist, Mar 21, 2004.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember that some scientists said the reason the walls of Jericho tumbled down was due to an earthquake that coincided with the exact time the Israelites yelled in unison on the seventh day.

Now, I remember also where there was an article that said more than an earthquake happened. Seems like there was some foundational defect or something that weakened with thousands of men's feet pounding the earth around it at a certain distance plus the yell and....craaaasshh !!!

Can anybody help me with these, please ?
    'preciate it.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The initial excavations at the tel of OT Jericho in the late 50's looked promising to show the destruction of the walls in 1400 bce. This was long ago proven to be "wishful thinking" and not good archaeology.

There is no conclusive evidence from the site. Even the most modern "discovery" is now seen to be simply a "double wall", not a fallen wall.

3. Russ Kelly

Russ Kelly New Member

It seems that you have stumbled across several very liberal books which want to explain away every miricle of the Bible as ?divine? coincidence.
    Unfortunately, the public libraries abound with liberal theology books and commentaries.
    May I suggest ascertaining that your material is from a conservative viewpoint which believes that Bible is true but not always proveable.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, no, not really.

The first one is available online and in fact refutes non-believer's claims that the earthquake happened before Joshua's time.

The second one, in fact, refutes both the earthquake theory and the before Joshua theory in that the writer points out that God knew about the foundational/geological defects and so ordered the great army of the Israelites to do the marching around to further weaken the foundation and the structures. I feel that there may be somebody here who came across these articles and kept it for future reference. It's just that I forgot where I read this, could be at the Creation Science site or something.

But, anyway, thanks for your advice about checking out my sources.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So would you say that water can be frozen and be turned to steam a coincidence or a miracle?