1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus a life to Himself?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Mar 16, 2007.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

John 5:26
    For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself.

2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I'm not sure what comments you seek in your OP. In the tradition, IMO rightly, this passage defends Christ's divinity "having life in himself." The orthodox version of the trinity in the past always claimed that the Father was the source, cause, and origin of both the Son and the Spirit, which still allows for them to be equal to the Father. Thus, this verse defended orthodoxy regarding both the Trinity and Christology. Some in the past (Eunomians I believe) tried to make this "granting" tantamount to the Father "willing" the generation of the Son, but the orthodox response was that the relation was prior-so the Father is the Father of the Son eternally.

BJ

3. psalms109:31

Trinity

I agree this does not destroy His oneness with the Father or the trinity, or Jesus divinity.

Those are truths of Jesus. Something else.

4. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Augustine, representing the orthodox line here, would say that this verse applies to the Son as "form of God," Jesus' divine nature.

I'm confused by your comment "something else" and still confused by this whole thread's purpose.

5. psalms109:31

view

We are viewing a verse, this is what this is all about right. Talking about God and His word. We know that it doesn't speak against the triune God.

I have find this verse interesting and this can be a very good thread. Adam comes to my mind. I will start of with that.

6. psalms109:31

Adam

Was Adam granted a life to himself?