1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus' baptism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by belvedere, Oct 22, 2006.

1. belvedere

belvedere Member

While studying John 1, I was left with a question. Hopefully someone can clear it up for me.

John 1:32-34 states that John didn't really know who Jesus was until after he baptized Him; that is, when the Spirit descended on Jesus, John knew that Jesus was the One that God had told him about. This was the sign that Jesus was the Savior.

32 And John testified, "I watched the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He rested on Him. 33 I didn't know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The One you see the Spirit descending and resting on—He is the One who baptizes with the Holy Spirit. ' 34 I have seen and testified that He is the Son of God!"

My question: Why then, did John seem to know who Jesus was BEFORE he baptized Him? Matthew 3:13-14:

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. 14 But John tried to stop Him, saying, "I need to be baptized by You, and yet You come to me?"

I would greatly appreciate if someone could explain this to me, or tell me what I'm missing. Thanks in advance!

Jeff

2. l_PETE_l

l_PETE_l New Member

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.”
    The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 . Zondervan: Grand Rapids

verse 30 says he did know Him then, but obviously at some point before he did not.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Don't forget Jesus and John were cousin's, even if we discard what was written in the Apocrypha books what Jesus did at 12 certianly let people know he was someone special. The word had to of gotten around and it's hard to believe that was the only thing he did. Remember, Mary called on him when the wine was running out.

I believe John was just giving way to one he perceived was greater than he, not knowing who he was until the dove landed on his shoulder.

#3 LeBuick, Oct 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  4. Allan

Allan Active Member

I think what Lebuick states is where I am giong to come from as well.

Both families (John's and Jesus') knew something special about Him, from His birth onward. They knew from the scriptures that some men were born to greatness. In fact they knew He was (potentially in their eyes) the coming Messiah - the redeemer of His people/military leader and spiritual guide like the judges of Old.

Now, how John responded at baptism was alot like us who grow up knowing about the Jesus who loves us, died on the cross for us, and rose from the dead. These are things we know but have not grasped spiritually till God reveals these truths to us and makes them come to life within us. John knew alot about what Jesus was to potenially do and knew "historically and spiritually" that this spiritual/military leader would bring in His Kingdom riegn John also knew that God could not honor ANY Kingdom for Him if the people were still in rebellion and sin, so John came preaching repentence as he was called to do amoung his people, for as Jesus stated "the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand". But was not at hand the way most percieved that it should be in their eyes.

Clear as mud?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Makes me wonder what Jesus looked like??? With all the miracles, the way he spoke and the things he did, there were many of his own who knew the scriptures yet denied him being the messiah. It's a fact that we as people just a persons apearence before we consider anything else. Just like David's own Dad kept asking, "are you sure it is he?"

Now if Jesus was tall in stature, had the appearence of a great leader with a very commanding voice I believe more would have believed who he was.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Very true,
    He came unto His own (those who should have known Him) and they did not recieve Him.

He was not who they were looking for.
    With your example LeBuick, I also think back to when the Jewish people wanted a king to Lord over them. And then came Saul.
    God knew exactly what the people wanted and gave them just that. A strong man from a great and known family, Tall and Proud. He was relgious and even seemed fearful of God. He was everything the PEOPLE wanted and what God needed to carve the pathway for the people to desire a King that God desired and not of themselves based upon the fallen worlds veiw.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

:applause: :applause:

I have always believed God will rarely use or satisfy man's perception because we will not see his work or hand in the victory. A king, tall in stature and a great warrior might just beat the giant, but a 16 year old scrawny shepherd boy???

Moses and his speach, Gidion who had so few and yet too many soldiers, Jonah one man preaching to a great city and the examples go on and on...

Last year our Church needed a new roof. I had to remind them, if we had the money then we wouldn't need God. We could just hire a contractor and have him put on a new roof. Because we didn't have the money, we get to watch God work.

Sure enough, not a month later and right before the snow we had a new roof on the Church. No bake sales or any fund raisers but it seemed for every need someone very unlikely came forward with a way.

That's why I often ponder, what did Jesus look like? A slain lamb, even John lost hope and cried when he saw a slain lamb but the heavenly host all worshipped him and cried, "worthy, worthy is the lamb...".

#7 LeBuick, Oct 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006