1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jesus Christ On Unlimited Atonement

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by ICHTHUS, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to refer to Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus, in the 3rd chapter of John's Gospel. We read in verses 1 and 2, "There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him". Nicodemus was not only a Pharisee, but also "a ruler of the Jews", which makes him a member of the Sanhedrin, a Council of 71 members, which was the supreme religious body in the Land of Israel during the time of the Holy Temple. So, when Nicodemus says "we know", he was not only speaking for himself, but also would include other Pharisees and members of this Council. Jesus, in speaking with Nicodemus, says to him, "Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again" (verse 7). Interesting in Greek, "you" is in the plural, which is a response by Jesus to the "we" spoken of by Nicodemus. My question to those who believe that the Bible teaches a "limited atonement", that Jesus' death was only for the elect, something that even John Calvin did not believe. How can they account for the words of Jesus Christ to Nicodemus? In this chapter we have one of the clearest accounts on the New Birth, and Jesus here says that it is a must for all those whom Nicodemus refers to in "we". Surely one cannot conclude that all those "we" are the "elect"? This would be forcing Scripture to say something that it does not. The honest conclusion is that Jesus Himself clearly taught that His death was for "everyone without exception", which also included Judas, who was present at the institution of the Lord's Supper, where in Luke's Gospel we read: "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you" (21:20), where again we have the plural "you". The next verse shows that Judas was included in "you", as it says, " But behold, the hand of My betrayer is with Me on the table". Here Jesus very clearly says that He died for Judas, whom we know did not go to heaven (Acts 1:25).

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, that is not what "Limited Atonement" means.

We believe it. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is it sufficient for everyone but efficient only for the elect when Jesus stated He gave His life for the sheep and Ephesians 5:25 says He died for the church?

What benefit from His efficacious death do the non-elect get?

I ask to learn more about your statement.

4. ICHTHUS

ICHTHUS Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ramifications of His sacrifice extend beyond that primary purpose of securing salvation for the elect.

All of God's creatures, including those men and women who reject God, reap many benefits from the death of Christ, not the least of which is life itself.

God could have justly destroyed the world immediately after Adam and Eve sinned, but He graciously allowed it to flourish and sustained it by His hand for thousands of years.

So I believe that even the non-elect are affected positively as a result of the atonement of Christ.

The atonement is limited in the sense that Christ acts as a substitute only for those who believe in Him. The atonement is unlimited, however, in the sense that its benefits extend to all of God's creation. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All will have a resurrected body, all experience goodness and mercy while in this life!

7. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You seem to be mixing up God's patience and mercy with Christ's atonement. They are different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All have a resurrection, so that would be a blessing due to the Cross....

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm not.

Yes, I know.

10. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Please explain the above quote. I'd like a finer toothed presentation so I understand your perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I 'agree' with both Brothers MennoSota's and TCassidy's perspective. I can see both perspectives. However, I tend to agree moreso with Brother MennoSota.

12. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Here's Paul on the atonement:

Romans 5:6-10 refers to the lost, sinful, unbelieving human race.

Rom 5:6 For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly (the nonbeliever). 7 For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. 8 But God demonstrates His own love (agape) toward us, in that while we were yet sinners , Christ died for us (i.e., the ungodly - sinners). 9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. 10 For if while we were enemies (again, ungodly) we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Verse 11 refers to those who have "received" or accepted what God has already accomplished "in Christ"

11 And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we (i.e., we believers) have now received the reconciliation.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That refers to those saved, not towards all sinners now!

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You misunderstanding will quickly be corrected if you start at vs 1 and see who paul was speaking to;
    5 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

This is written to sinners who were now saved and regenerated, justified......
    the ungodly are not justified, they do not have saving faith.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is something that is very familiar to those who have a knowledge of the KJV. "Marvel not that I say unto thee, ye must be born again." Bunyan, Whitefield, Spurgeon and a host of other five-point Calvinists were aware of it. It goes back to John 3:3. "Unless one [Gk. tis, 'one,' 'someone,' 'anyone'] is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.' So 'ye' in verse 7 refers not just to Nic and his friends, but to everyone. How many people get into the kingdom of God without being born anew? None!
    But being born anew is not something we can do for ourselves. How much say did you have in your first birth? None at all. The time came for you to be born and you put in your appearance. You had nothing to do with your gender, your weight or anything else. So it is with the New Birth. It is all of God and none of us.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

No, that's legalism....You are equating salvation to what Christ does in us....Faith isn't the Savior. Christ is the Savior. We accept what He has already done by faith. Our faith as an object and that is Christ....

17. anerlogios

anerlogios Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this is what Peter meant in 2 Peter 3:15:
    And regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you.

18. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    TCassidy seems to lump God's goodness, displayed to all of His creation, in with Christ's atonement for sin. I do not see this juxtaposition in scripture. God is patient with humanity until all the elect are brought into the Kingdom. This is not caused by Christ's work of atonement. The cause is God's patience with sinners. The effect is God’s atonement of his chosen ones.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God reconciled back to Himself ONLY the saved is truth, how is that legalism?
    To be now reconciled back to God is to have Him forgive you and save you, correct?

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't.