1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus is Lord....or not?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Mar 23, 2010.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I am disobedient to Jesus, I am disobedient to MY LORD. I don't see how my failure negates his position or my recognition of that position.

To say that Jesus was not Peter's Lord "at that moment" (of disobedience), is an artificial construct. The Lordship of Christ, and our recognition of it, is a relational phenomenon, not something that comes and goes based upon every action we take.

Notice that Peter did not say, "Not so, you who are not Lord". If Jesus were not Peter's Lord, then Peter's statement would not be self-contradictory as you so rightly imply.

The action does not change the relationship, but the relationship influences the action, as is seen in Peter's eventual repentence.

#21 J.D., Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Havensdad,

Carnality is a state of being not a measurement of standards.
    They were carnal, Paul was not. Their standards were miserable because they were carnal.

Paul under inspiration gives his assessment of their disobedience:

1 Corinthians 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
    2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
    3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
    4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?​

If Christ is their Lord they would obey Him and "love one another".

But, yes, of course Christ was still their Lord, they were not however in
    line with His Lordship by the bickering.

Also

1 Corinthians 11
    20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
    21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.​

I think we can safely say that even in a liberal church (muchless an LS church) coming to church drunk would not be considered an act of typifying one who declares Jesus as His Lord.​

In addition they were glorying in the "ONE guy" that was practicing immorality which Paul in Romans 1:32 said in and of itself was worthy of death.​

The point is brother that we need to be sensitive to the needs of our weaker brethren who are still struggling with sin and/or those who stumble and that we do not judge to quickly lest we ourselves come under chastisement as warned by Scripture. ​

When we must judge then it should be therapeutic and not punitive (with exception).​

Punitive (expulsion) is also defined in the Scripture but for the protection of the Body of Christ as well as in the hope that the serious offender will come to his/her senses.​

Yes, there is accountability and discipline in the church but there is also pharisaism and legalism to be avoided.​

HankD​

#22 HankD, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree ....