1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus is only Spirit?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Nov 20, 2003.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Well, john6:63, I'm back to not knowing whether you believe that Jesus, now in Heaven at the right hand of the Father, is Spirit, Flesh, or both. :confused:

Why don't you just answer in one word so we can all know what you beleive?

Spirit?

Flesh?

Both?

2. trying2understand

Nope. I fully believe in the Trinity.

I am just trying to find a way to get you to answer a very simple question.

Do you believe that Jesus in Heaven is Spirit, Flesh, or both?

Why is this so hard for you to answer directly?

Do you ever pray to Jesus?

I agree. The Church agrees. That is why Catholics do not honor the Saints in the sense of worshiping God.

It's been said to you several times by several different people here. Perhaps you should start believing us. [​IMG]

3. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

Doesn't seem that way.

Re-read my first post at the top of this thread please and carefully.

I pray to our Heavenly Father in Jesus’ name.

4. trying2understand

Why is this so difficult?

I am unable to understand your answer from anything that you have written so far.

Pretend that I am the dumbest person you have ever met. Humor my stupidity by answering in the most direct and shortest way you possibly can and in a way that I can comprehend with no possible room for misunderstanding on my part.

Do you believe that Jesus in Heaven is:

Spirit, Flesh, or both.

A one word answer is all that is required. [​IMG]

Now I don't want to risk misunderstanding you and I don't want to be accused of misrepresenting you.

Do you mean by this that you do not pray to Jesus?

Yes or no will do.
    [​IMG]

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Fully God and Fully man in the glorified body. And still - the 2nd person of the Godhead.

In Christ,

Bob

6. trying2understand

Bob, thank you for the direct (and correct) answer.

Now if only john6:63 could do the same....

7. Elk

Elk New Member

Dear John 6:63,
    You said, "Therefore, according to John 1:14, Jesus the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. Meaning the disciples could physically touch Jesus. Once Jesus was crucified and His Father raised Him from the dead. You will notice in John 20:17 Jesus tells Mary Touch me not;..."

Just wanted to point out, in the New Testament, it says John 2:19-21, and it also says in three other places, that the Holy Spirit raised Jesus, and that God raised Jesus, and that the Father raised Jesus.
    John 2:19-21
    19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21 But he spake of the temple of his body.
    KJV

If you are trying to make a point, why are you just pointing out your biases? Your argument would be much more believable if you embraced all of Scripture. If you are trying to make it sound like only the Father raised up Jesus, instead of the full Godhead, I would deem that as a bias view.

But I find what you are saying interesting.
    God bless you.

8. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

john6:63,

The "body" is not the man but instead is the "tent",or "outward dress",which covers him:

"For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
    2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
    3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
    4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life"
    (2Cor.5:1-4).

The Lord Jesus also put on an "earthly house" when he put on a "flesh and blood" body:

"Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same"(Heb.2:14).

The Lord Jesus assumed "a natural body".But the "natural body" is a "dress" that is for the earthly sphere while there is a "spiritual" body that is for the "heavenly" sphere:

"There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body"(1Cor.15:44).

And now the Lord is enthroned in heaven as a "Man",but He is no longer in "flesh and blood",but instead has put on His eternal,heavenly body.

There is no place for a "flesh and blood" body in the heavenly sphere:

"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God"(1Cor.15:50).

The Lord is now in His glorious,heavenly and spiritual body:

"It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body"(1Cor.15:44).

When we Christians meet the Lord in the air the Lord will be in His glorious,heavenly body and we will be made in the likeness of Him:

"And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly"(1Cor.15:49).

So this demonstrates that "flesh and blood" are not essential to humanity.Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom,but yet as men we are to dwell in heavenly glory.The body is not the man.Instead the body is the "outward" dress" which covers the man.

The things which are "not seen are eternal"(2Cor.4:18),and that is why the Lord Jesus is described as now being "invisible" while He sits at the right hand of the Father:

"Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever"(1Tim.1:17).

And while the Lord may change His "outward dress",He does not change in regard to what He actually is:

" Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever"(Heb.13:8).

In His grace,--Jerry

9. Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart New Member

...just another thought.

Before the Lord took on a "flesh and blood" body He described HImself as "the Son of Man":

"What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?"(Jn.6:62).

We were made in His image before He even put on a "flesh and blood" body.

In His grace,--Jerry

10. Elk

Elk New Member

Dear Jerry Shugart,

Thanks for your message. I have a verse for you to consider...

1 Cor 15:47-48
    47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
    KJV

1 Cor 15:47
    47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.
    RSV

1 Cor 15:47
    47 Adam was made from the dust of the earth, but Christ came from heaven above.
    TLB

1 Cor 15:47-48
    47 The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven.
    NIV