1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus No Longer the Only Way?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Awhile back, I started a thread on inclusivism, the belief that people can know Christ through different religions without specifically knowing who Christ is. The reason I started that thread is because I am seeing this view cropping up more and more among evangelicals. They may not use the term "inclusivism," but they are expressing that view. The emergent church and postmodernism as well as the rising mysticism is contributing towards this, imo.

I have also noticed that it is not real popular now to say that Jesus is the only way, even among evangelicals. I've been saying for awhile that this view that Jesus is the only way is getting eroded and here is a poll that shows it. I know many dismiss polls, but I personally have noticed this in my ministry.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Technically, in and of itself, that statement is correct. Now, before you toss eggs at me, hear me out.

Many, if not most, people don't come to know who Christ is until after they've been saved. Indeed, there are a great many people here on this board who got saved before they even cracked open a Bible, so to suggest that those people weren't saved because they didn't really know Christ would be prejudicial.

However, once a person is saved, they begin a life in which they come to know Christ more and more over time. No Christian ever gets to know Christ completely or perfectly, and no person is ever done getting to know Christ, at least, not until we die and go to be with him.

Now, as far as being in other religions, one must remember, true Christianity is a relationship, not a religion. That which referrs to the Christian religion is the belief system, customs, practices, and institutional tradtitions which are all setup by man. Yes, even Baptist churches are setup by man, not God. Churches are our way of expressing, to the best of our imperfect human ability, our fellowship with God. But true Christianity is the one-on-one relationship each of us individually has with out Savior. No religious institution has a monopoly on that relationship.

The Title of the OP is "Jesus No Longer the Only Way". Don't confuse a certain religious institution with being the way. No church is the way. In fact, even Christianity is not the way. Only Jesus is the way. He didn't say "this is the way", he said "I am the way".

3. kubel

kubel New Member

"Can a good person who isn't of your religious faith go to heaven or attain salvation, or not?"

Poor choice of words to determine if people think Jesus is the only way. The result of that poll does not accurately represent what the topic question is. A more accurate question would be "do you believe Jesus is the only way to heaven".

I believe a Catholic can be led to Christ. I believe a good person who isn't of my belief can go to heaven... IF Jesus is the way.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point, kubel. The SOLE factor of attaining salvation is whether or not a person has accepted the gift of salvation that Christ offers. A Baptist doesn't have the exact same "faith" as a Methodist, Anglican, or Presbyterian, so being of a certain faith is a poor requisite for one's salvific condition.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Jesus is the only way

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Is Jesus the only way?

Can a good person who is a Muslim or Hindu go to heaven even if he doesn't know who Christ is?

The answer is "No." There is no other name given among men whereby we can be saved.

If a person is being drawn by God, that person will come to know Jesus Christ (who he is, what he has done)and will make a confession of faith.

God can reveal this truth to them in a vision or in direct intervention. But they will know who Jesus is and they will confess him as Lord.

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

The survey question was worded very poorly and says nothing about Jesus being the only way.

Define religious faith.
    Define good person.
    Define salvation.

To extrapolate from this poorly worded question that eangelicals in mass don't believe that Jesus is the only way is disingenious and misleading.

8. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Ro 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent?

Mt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations;

and then shall the end come.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

JohnV, I don't know why you think I'm confusing relgious institutions with Jesus as the only way. I didn't say any church or belief was the way. Jesus is the way - I know that.

We're not talking about how well one knows Jesus, either. I am talking about can a person be saved who has not believed in Jesus Christ.

I am hearing among born again believers that they think people can be saved without knowing about or believing in Christ. This is the topic of the thread.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think a majority of evangelicals believe this, but a growing number do. I was criticized by 3 born again Christians for saying that the God of Islam is not the God of the Bible. Afterwards, in the course of discussing this with them, I found out that they believe good Muslims who don't hear about Jesus will go to heaven. This is not the first time I've had this kind of discussion born again believers. I've met Christians who tell me that they used to believe Jesus is the only way to God and eternal life but they no longer believe it. This has been happening more the past few years.

This poll was given to people of many religions. If someone said "outside of your faith," I would consider that to mean outside of the Christian faith.

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

If inclusivism means all Christians, no matter what the denomination, it is one thing, but that doesn't seem to be what the article is talking about.

God said not to have "other" or "false Gods" before Him. Whether you call Christ Jesus or Christ or Messiah is irrelevant. Whether you are Hindu or Buddhist or Christian is very relevant.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

How many Christians believe that Jews do not need to be born again to be saved? Considering the way that some people act regarding the Jews in prophecy, I would suggest that figure could be high.

14. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The original mesasge of salvation that said belief in Christwas required for salvation was given to the Jews.

15. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Imagine that! The saints and martyers stood up for Jesus dispite crucifiction, burning, being fed to animals etc. And we wont stand up simple because it is unpopular and someone might not invite us to their party or attend our church. :rolleyes:

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Imagine that!

17. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I don't think a majority of evangelicals believe this, but a growing number do. I was criticized by 3 born again Christians for saying that the God of Islam is not the God of the Bible. Afterwards, in the course of discussing this with them, I found out that they believe good Muslims who don't hear about Jesus will go to heaven. This is not the first time I've had this kind of discussion born again believers. I've met Christians who tell me that they used to believe Jesus is the only way to God and eternal life but they no longer believe it. This has been happening more the past few years.

This poll was given to people of many religions. If someone said "outside of your faith," I would consider that to mean outside of the Christian faith.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I see the same thing Marcia. I keep hearing from people that claim to be Christian's, that the god of Islam and all the rest are the same God as the one in the Bible we believe in. Something like it's just God's way of using different paths for different cultures or some such nonsense. Then they say when you point out scripture that says otherwise, that some of scripture might be from God but it's mostly from men. :rolleyes:
    How do you talk to someone like that?

18. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Persecution does work wonders. Talked about that last Sunday in SS and how much the church gets so much bolder and spreads in times of persecution.

19. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Rachel-"Persecution does work wonders. Talked about that last Sunday in SS and how much the church gets so much bolder and spreads in times of persecution."

Rachel, that is only after the chaffe is separated from the wheat. I can tell you are wheat. [​IMG]

20. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

this is a moot point IMO

there are no good people. one sin makes a man "ungood"

there is none good but God alone, Jesus' words.

so the technical answer is YES, a good person can be saved outside of Jesus.

However, no such person exists.