1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus or God 2

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Marcia, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm no expert but looking at the Greek he appears to be quoting Romans.

Bruce Metzger thought that the difference pre-dated Polycarp's writings.

I personally think that the difference is negligible and doesn't change the meaning of the passage in any significant way.

Rob

2. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

I agree , I don't think it makes a big difference either.

3. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

That is to say, the earliest reading (ca. 150) is also the "majority" reading in Rom 14:10, i.e., "of Christ." At an early date it was probably changed to "of God" to conform it to the text of the following verse (v. 11).

What is interesting is that this earliest source also appears to omit the "to God" of verse 12, along with Vaticanus and a few other important manuscripts.

Both of these examples just go to show that many of the errors in the text predate our earliest manuscripts (usually Aleph & B) by 200 years or so, and so appealing to the earliest manuscripts alone is rather foolish in and of itself. Textual criticism has much more to do with than simply appealing to the earliest manuscripts that most of time are far later than the variants attested in all surviving documents. Although age of a document is important, it can hardly be the deciding factor.