1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jesus Paid For Our Sins In Hell?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Truth Seeker, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't this a teaching commonly taught in Word of Faith churches? Is this an acceptable teaching within orthodoxy or is this a heresy?

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's called Heresy and I would avoid it like the plague.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no telling what will come out of Sandersons mouth. He was banned from here a long time ago. He's not worth the attention.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's not acceptable. I'd never heard of such a thing in a Baptist church, but it's not uncommon among WoF televangelists.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The body of Christ is divided as to what happened under the Old Covenant when when people physically died. This preacher is presenting one view. It is not the biblical view.
    1) Where did Jesus go on the day He died? Hades or Paradise? (Today you will be with Me in Paradise!)
    2) When Christ became the sin offering for mankind on the cross, did God the Father separate from Him spiritually? Jesus asks "why have you abandoned Me?"(Matthew 27:46) But when Jesus died, where was His Spirit commended? To the Father! (Luke 23:46) So the physical death lasted for 3 days (or parts of days) but the spiritual death (separation) lasted a brief time on the cross, and ended when Christ physically died. (Note: God the Son, was, is and always will be God the Son and He remained fully God throughout the ordeal.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Father did not abandon (separate) from the Son when He was on the cross. Jesus was simply quoting the beginning of Psalm 22.

(And yes I know a lot of preachers claim the opposite, but that's not biblical.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The fact that Jesus said "It is finished" on the cross tells me that there was nothing left to "pay" for in hell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, Annsni, the ransom had been paid in full!

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Bible Believer, various views are held, concerning "why have you abandoned Me." I reject the "He was merely quoting Psalm 22 and did not mean what He said. Rather, He was quoting Psalm 22 to make a final proclamation He was the Messiah. And His deliverance included the agony of separation, just as scripture had foretold.

To unpack this a tad, Jesus born the sin of the many, and the consequence of sin is separation, so it may be that separation (and its agony) was part of the price of the ransom. Anyway, many see it that way. :)

#9 Van, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the Creed!

"...He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    was crucified, died, and was buried;
    he descended to hell.
    The third day he rose again from the dead...."

'Reformed Answers' notes that

"the Creed mentions both that Jesus was buried, and that he descended into hell. To all appearances, these phrases are separate and consecutive items in the historical record."

And concludes that

"Jesus' stay in this part of hell was a necessary part of his work because it subjected his soul to the judicial punishment of true human death."

http://reformedanswers.org/answer.asp/file/40273

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm. Did He say that while alive? And if it was finished when He said that, why did He then die?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, the creed isn't the Bible but the term "he descended into hell" is not in the earliest versions of the creed. Additionally, saying that Jesus went to hell isn't supported by the Scriptures at all.

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/did-jesus-spend-saturday-in-hell--2

http://www.waynegrudem.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/he-did-not-descend-into-hell_JETS.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He said it because the sacrifice was done. Blood was shed for the forgiveness of sins. He died and rose again to prove that He not only conquered sin but the consequences of sin - death.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christianity has been divided on this issue for a very long time. Most of Orthodoxy accepts the Apostles Creed which reads "infernos" meaning "hell."

Today, among Evangelicals, those who accept the "two compartment of sheol" theory generally accept it as a second compartment of "hell" or "sheol" as the rich man, in torment, could see Abraham who was, according to the theory, not in Heaven, but in this "second compartment."

There is no incontestable reason to believe one way or another. As the bible is not specific, neither will I be. I have friends who believe both ways, and I won't break fellowship with either one. :)

It is, in my opinion, a non-issue. It does not affect historic theology one way or another.

15. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's one thing to believe Jesus went to Hades to either preach to the demons or to take the OT saints to heaven. But it's another thing to teach that Jesus paid as in suffering the flames of hell for our sins like Steve Anderson believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Apostles Creed is based on the Old Roman Creed which was a baptism recitation by the candidate for baptism. And it does not include the phrase "He descended into hell."

The first instance of the Apostles Creed as we know it dates to the 8th century.

The phrase ("he descended into hell") probably refers to Ephesians 4:9, "κατέβη εἰς τὰ κατώτερα μέρη τῆς γῆς" ("he descended into the lower, earthly regions"). Some consider that hell, and others consider it the grave.

I consider the whole context. Before Christ ascended to Heaven, he first descended from Heaven, to the lower, IE, Earthly, regions. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or listen to RC Sproul, in a 2011 interview with his disgraced son, explain that it was hell on the cross for Christ:

(skip to 20:30)

So one can "hold" to the Creed, but just shuffle the order from death-burial-hell to hell-death-burial.

Nifty, huh?

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 4:8-9 presents the case that Jesus descended into "the lower parts of the earth." Many think this is a reference to Hades, including the compartment called "Abraham's bosom." Thus the "captives" He led out of captivity He ascended to heaven with them. Thus all the OT saints are now in heaven, washed with the blood of the lamb.

19. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem that I have with this interpretation, is that Hades (paradise) becomes like some type of prison in referring to the souls OT saints as "captives".

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. He had to die. That's the reason He entered the world. He didn't die to prove something.

In another place, He said those who believe on Him will never die. Is that true?