1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus Suffered In Hell For Our Sins? Is That Biblical?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by BibleTalk, Dec 19, 2008.

1. BibleTalk

BibleTalk New Member

This question has been posed to me several times... My answer is to this question may not be satisfactory to some... but I would be interested to discuss it...

Did Jesus Suffer In Hell?

Did Jesus descend into hell to suffer for our sins? Many believe that Jesus descended into hell in order to pay in full the ransom for the sin of mankind. The answer to this doctrine can only be found by rightly dividing the word of truth.

Before Christ was crucified, both the lost and the saved went to Hades (Heb. Sheol). Hades was divided into the place of torment and paradise (also known as Abraham's bosom - Luke 16:19,31). When Jesus hung on the cross, He consoled the repentant thief that he would be in paradise with Him on that very day. Christ descended to Abraham's bosom and lead captivity captive... that is, to remove the Old Testament saints from Abraham's bosom and lead them to heaven.

There was no need for Christ to suffer in hell (as some believe He did). Why? We are not saved by His sufferings... we are saved by His death (1 Corinthians 15:3). There is no indication nor implication from God's Word that Jesus went to hell for our sins. He went to Calvary to DIE for our sins.

What can wash away my sin? NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD OF JESUS!

Sincerely, Dr. Arthur Belanger - www.InvitationToChrist.org

#1 BibleTalk, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this a slick form of spam?

3. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Yes. .

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Dr. Belanger - Common "netiquete" is that you post an introduction, get to know the board some before you start posting "teaching". Without that, you don't know our beliefs and might be teaching us something that has already been discussed and hashed out. Otherwise it is considered a "drive by spam" and is against the board rules, if I remember correctly. Stay, discuss and get to know those who come to this board.

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree but you won't find many here who will.
    MB

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

:eek:

There are "many" here that would disagree with this? In the "Baptist" section??

The idea that Jesus had to "suffer in Hell" has it's basis in the "Ransom to Satan" theory of the atonement. I truly hope no one in this section of BB, would believe such craziness.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't! And I've argued against it online. :)

8. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

If you haven't learned by now MB just likes to stir the pot.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is it that you believe then. Myself I don't believe God is limited to signs. He can come when ever He wants.
    MB

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe Christ suffered in Hell either. Read the whole op again He doesn't believe Christ suffered either.
    Pay particular attention to this Part I enhanced;
    MB

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think you're responding to the wrong thread.

I said that I don't believe the idea that Jesus went to hell. :)

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The lady do got a point.

Ed

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ after His death walked in paradise with the theif who asked Him to remember him. Where do you believe that paradise was?
    Paul wrote;
    Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
    Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
    Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

MB

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm running out in the snow to do some quick shopping so this is a fast response.

Paradise is heaven.

Christ descended to the lower parts of the terra firma - earth. Not hell. He ascended to heaven after descending to earth. How else can He ascend but to have descended to earth?

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you do with this verse.
    Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
    Wouldn't the lower parts suggest below the surface?
    MB

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

BibleTalk, let me "Welcome to the Baptist Board." :wavey:

If my first response seemed a bit curt, I apologize for that. However, as noted, this definitely could appear as a case of what we call "drive-by" posting. I shall give you the benefit of the doubt, on this.

Now to your post. I shall add my own comments in bolded 'blue,' plus bold in 'red' where I would disagree with what has been posted. The stuff that remains in black, I have no problem in agreeing with, regardless of who has said this, initially.
    Ed

#16 EdSutton, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope.... :)

18. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

That is one of the many heretical beliefs of the Word of Faith movement:

In order to redeem humanity, Jesus had to die spiritually as well as physically. When He died spiritually, he died in the same way that Adam died. In other words, He lost His divine nature and was given the nature of Satan. Jesus’ death on the cross and His shed blood did not atone for our sins. The atonement took place in hell through the devil's torturing of Jesus’ spirit for three days and three nights. Unfortunately for Satan, Jesus was taken to hell ‘illegally’ because He had never sinned. This ‘technicality’ enabled God to use His ‘force of faith’ to revive Jesus’ spirit, restore Jesus’ divine nature, and resurrect Jesus’ body. Through the resurrection process Jesus was ‘born again’.

From Kingdom of the Cults page 497ff, by Walter Martin, revised by Hank Hanegraaff.

19. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

OR, is this your belief or are you conveying the belief of the Word of Faith movement. I hope it's the latter because it doesn't resemble any orthodox approach to this issue I have seen. Frankly, it looks like the OP comes real close to getting it right.

20. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The reference to the "lower parts of the earth" means the grave--burial. Jesus physical body was in the grave. He himself was with the Father.