1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus vs. Paul

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by PastorGreg, Feb 10, 2009.

1. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "words of Paul" as recorded in his epistles must be compared with the words of Christ recorded in the Gospels, and some of the "words of Paul" are actually the words of Satan. Is there a name for this heresy? Anyone know anything about the history of it?
    Don't know if this is in the right place, if not, I'm sure our handy-dandy moderators can move it.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Huh? Is this something you believe or what you've heard someone else say?

I've heard of red letter Christians but I've never heard anyone say anything about Paul's writings being attributed to Satan.

As for Jesus vs. Paul - I always thought they were on the same team.

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to see some examples of what you're talking about.

4. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Either I'm misunderstanding this or

That's nuts!

5. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have specific examples. This heresy recently became something I have to deal with in my church, and was just trying to get info on whether there is a historical name of anything organized or whether this is just something that has sprung up in isolated groups and individuals throughout church history.

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it came up in my church, they'd have to show me it in the Bible.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

8. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Pastor Greg,

You need to go to those in your church who are saying such things and have them completely explain their position to you. That I know of, no such accusations have been made against the writings of Paul historically. Your responsibility lies in protecting the flock against such things. If you can find out the exact nature of what their teaching, then you'll be in a much better position to respond to it.

Blessings,

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I copastor a small church in Northeast Florida and I have caught wind of this. The wind stinks and it is definitely smells like brimstone to me. :mad:

10. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, that's pretty far out there. Any reading of the conversion of Saul (Paul) should help squelch any concern over what the purpose of his ministry was, or from whom he derived his apostolic authority. Not to mention he was eventually received among the other disciples (Acts 15).

Blessings,

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And the only reason they didn't accept him right away was because shortly before that time, he was looking to kill them. So they were justified in being a little cautious. :)

12. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This kind of stuff springs from the thought process that recognizes Paul's message as different, from Jesus Kingdom gospel, thus somehow evil..

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This is new stuff to me. Is this somewhat related to the feminist idea that Jesus elevated women but Paul was a chauvinist who relegated them to second-class status?

14. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor David - it actually is something that came up when I was dealing with a member about a different issue. He has not tried to influence anyone else in the church in this regard. In fact, he has been very gracious. The elders and I are meeting with him in a few minutes, and unless we can help him see our position, he will have to be dismissed from membership, because this is heresy and a view of God's Word that we must stand against. I do think, from talking to him, that the feminist stuff is a part of it. Thanks to all of you for your input.

15. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Modern day Ebionism! (Reject Paul so you can go back under the Law). The first version of this I saw was JudaismvsChristianity.com They even took Jesus' statement to Peter about being bound and "carried where he would not go" to mean that Peter would in his last days be caught up in Paul's "deception"; hence Peter's epistles can be dismissed as well, and Luke was said to be deceived as well, so there goes Acts. The only thing they believe in is the Gospels, and John, James, and Jude's epistles and Revelation. (this site appears to be accepting Hebrews, so they would obviously not think it was by Paul).

16. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Yes, it is.

17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

This take red letter liberalism (which I've had to deal with) to a whole different level. May God give you wisdom in dealing with this heresy.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

(If one reads the Bible front to back) Moses taught that all post Torah writings must be compared to Torah. Did anything attributed to Jesus conflict with Torah? Any writing attributed to Paul?

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Hey Bill, first show us the verse or verses where this is taught then maybe we can give you an answer.

20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Just what I thought. Bill makes another drive by post which he cannot back up with Biblical evidence.