1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jesus Wept

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by salzer mtn, Jun 12, 2013.

1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

If man knew everything there is to know about God, then, God would not be God. Men in their sin tainted minds want to conquer God by complete knowledge of him. Rom 11:33-35 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God ! how unsearchable are his judgements, and his ways past finding out ! For who hath know the mind of the Lord ? or who hath been his counselor ? Job 11:7-11 Canst thou by searching find out God ? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection ? It is high as the heaven; what canst thou do ? deeper than hell; what canst thou know ? the measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea. If he cut off, and shut up, or gather together, then who can hinder him ? For he knowest vain men: he seeth wickedness also; will he not then consider it ?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a problem brother. I never said we could know everything there is to know about God.

But He has revealed Himself to us through His word and the Spirit which has been infused into us and that word along with the witness and enlightenment of the Spirit does allow His children to know what He has chosen to reveal to us about His essential being else why give us His word His Son and eternal life.

There is one emotion that God claims is of His very essence.

Exodus 34
    5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.
    6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
    7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.​

John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God;for God is love.

HankD​

3. salzer mtn

I knew that you would finally get there, declaring a scripture of Gods love. This is the only attribute the world has a understanding of who God is. Go out and ask the worlding who God is, why God is love. So only knowing this one attribute of God they continue in sin because a loving God to them is a god that will turn his head at their iniquities. Their God will some how save them on their dying bed because you know a loving god doesn't send anyone to hell. The truth is, God has many attributes other than love, and these attributes are recorded in scripture many more times than love. God also will not show love toward anyone at the expense of his righteous. God is a just God and a savior, but first, his justice must be satisfied. When the angels are spoken of, they are not called loving angels, but holy angels. When the prophets are spoken of, they are not called loving prophets, but holy prophets. The bible is not referred to as a loving bible, but a holy bible. God is to be referred to as a Holy God and this takes in his whole character.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet, John referred to God as love. I’m not certain that we can separate the various “emotions” of God (i.e., he loves OR he hates). When God shows wrath, does he cease to love?

It does seem that Christians focus more on the love of God and that his wrath is distinctly missing. Perhaps this is because some fear that God’s wrath is incompatible with his love (like you say, they think of God as they would think of man). But what if God’s wrath is a consequence of his love. Lactantius noted (I believe correctly) that a failure to hate evil implies a deficiency in love (A Treatise on the Anger of God).

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and so sayeth the scripture

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

HankD​

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the issue is not presenting God as love, but rather leaving that love undefined and presenting it as God’s only relationship to man. There’s a church in Alabama which boasts a billboard stating “God loves you no matter what.” Perhaps – but perhaps that statement alone can be misleading.

Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I will drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them Leviticus 20:23

All their evil is at Gilgal; Indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels. (Hosea 9:15)

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Presumably the Spirit of God will lead them on further after seeing the Alabama sign.

Otherwise it will be evident:

Acts 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

HankD​

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Presumably. I also misstated the sign (just realized it) - it said that God is not mad at you no matter what you do. Either way, I think it necessary to present the Word of God instead of only the portion that we find agreeable.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I think we also need the wisdom to know the timing of when to say what as well.

HankD

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, Salzer. You live in a beautiful part of the country. I’m about 90 min SW, but I’ve taken my family to Fall Creek Falls several times and we pass through Spencer. Everyone keeps suggesting that I hit Dale Hollow Lake when I go next time. (Sorry - off topic but couldn't help it).:tonofbricks:

11. salzer mtn

I live right outside of Fall Creek Falls, Spencer is just my home town.