1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jews vs Christians

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

To repeat myself, and bring up something that I don't recall you addressing earlier, look at Rev 20:5: "The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed."

Whatever you might think about the 1000 years, the "first resurrection" is after it, and it includes "the rest of the dead" which can hardly be Christ alone. So the first resurrection does include more than Christ.

This is a serious issue I would love to see you give a serious answer to (not that previous answers have not been serious; as I recall there has been no answer given at all, though I may have missed it).

This is correct.

This is incorrect. The church is the body of Christ, which is built by Spirit baptism (1 Cor 12:13) which is future in the gospels (Mark 1:8, Acts 1:5). There can be no 'body of Christ' in the OT.

2. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No, some teach that because of the choice of God, not because of their race. When God chose Israel over all other nations and gave them a place of preeminence, he wasn't being racist.

Yes, there are many arguments. I will repeat just a few:

1) The church is the body of Christ. That doesn't exist until Christ comes and leaves.
    2) The church is formed by Spirit baptism (1 Cor 12:13). There is no Spirit baptism in the OT. It is still future in the gospels (Mark 1:8; Acts 1:5).
    3) The church was previously a mystery according to Paul. Therefore, it can't be in the OT.

Yes, but I don't have those notes handy. Gentiles were forbidden from certain temple rights and privileges, as well some other issues.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

While I agree that God has a right to do anything He wishes, and I certainly agree He chooses whom He will for what He wills, there is simply no basis in the Bible for this. There is no distinction among believers: all who are saved, are grafted into Israel.
    Paul's point in Romans is not that there are "two different" Israels, "ethnic' and "believing', but rather false Israel (those who do not confess Christ) and True Israel (all those who believe in Christ, from all nations).

Again, a person who was Circumcised into Israel in the Old Testament, was a full Jew. As has already pointed out, some of these converts were forefathers of Christ Himself.

Not so. We were "in Christ" before the foundation of the world, according to scripture.
    While I agree that the Spirit was given in a special way to the Church after Christ, I would disagree that this necessarily constitutes a new body. In fact, this was a promise made to Israel, so you can hardly use it to try and separate the Church.

Previously a mystery? Or previously non-existent? I do not see Paul stating anywhere that the Church was not in existence until the time of Christ.

You cannot find this. A person who was circumcised, was circumcised INTO Israel, and became a "Native of the land" (a native born Israelite). They are no longer Gentiles.

The God fearers, such as Cornelius, who refused circumcision, were denied certain Temple rights, etc. The scribes and Pharisees had also added some "traditions of men" (which Christ condemned them for); but the Torah expressly states that in all things one who is circumcised into Israel is, and is to be treated as, a native.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Havensdad, while it might be said that the Nation of Israel will have a pre-eminent place among the nations of the earth during the millenium while the flesh (sarx-unregenerate mankind) is still among the human race, it will not be so in the eternal state.

This has been dealt with already. It is a matter of history that there have been two distinct manifestations of the Kingdom of God on earth, Israel and the Church both of which earthly manifestations have/had been inter-mingled with the unregenerate who propogate these racist ideas.

I really don't understand how you don't see this that the regenerate heart is or should be incapable of this kind of racism unless deluded by the evil one. We each love everyone of the brethren in the bond of the love of Jesus Christ.

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight...

It is God Himself who established the boundaries of the Nations.
    It was God Himself at the tower of Babel who made the cleavages of language and therefore national and cultural lines.

No doubt we shall all communicate in that heavenly language in eternity.

And yes, the redeemed human race in eternity is one entity as the Bride of Christ, yet even within that oneness are distinctions that are not sinful but scriptural and the lasting result of the will of God.

Revelation 21
    22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
    23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
    24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
    25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
    26 And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.

In that day Havensdad there will be no racism there because...

Zechariah 14:21b
    ...in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the LORD of hosts.​

HankD​

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Brother, this is not what Classical Dispensationlism teaches. What you are referring to is Progressive Dispensationalism.
    I do not see anywhere in scripture where they are distinct. Gentiles in the Old Testament who were circumcised, were referred to as Israelites, with all the same rights and privileges. I see no reason why that right would get stripped away because of Christ. I see the opposite.

But there is still being distinction being made, where the Bible expressly says otherwise. We are all "one" in Christ not "two".

But He also makes it clear that the boundaries of Israel are not set upon racial lines. There are many not born of the "flesh" of Abraham, who are now "Abraham's seed". We are "grafted into" the true Vine, Israel. Israel incorporates all true believers of all time.

I have dispensational friends who believe the original language was Hebrew.

The only distinctions made, are according to our works. Matryrs are given a special place out of "all nations".

I believe this strengthens my case. Division according to race has no place in God's economy. There is "no distinction". All are of the " true vine" grafted into Israel.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I always thought that dispensationalists thought the first resurrection was before the 1000 years but you are denying the resurrection of Jesus Christ and telling me He will not be resurrected until after the 1000 years with the rest of the dead.

However, Jesus Christ is not dead. He has already been resurrected unless you want to deny Scripture.

Matthew 28:6. He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
    Matthew 28:7. And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.

Romans 1:1. Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
    Romans 1:2. (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
    Romans 1:3. Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
    Romans 1:4. And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

Revelation 1:4. John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
    Revelation 1:4, 5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

The Apostle Paul in his sermon before King Agrippa while imprisoned at Caesaera declared:

Acts 26:22,23, KJV
    22. Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
    23. That Christ should suffer, [and] that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

I suggest you read post #80

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

This is the kind of absolute nonsense I am talking about. At no point have I denied the resurrection of Jesus Christ. At no point have I said anything that could be understood to say that Jesus won't be raised from the dead until after the 1000 years. You are completely out of line to suggest this. You are acting unethically to an extreme degree. You need to apologize.

I have pointed out to you what the Bible calls the "First Resurrection." I would like to see you actually deal with Scripture instead of accusing me of denying the resurrection which I most emphatically do not.

I did. It doesn't help.

I agree. But it must be interpreted in light of all of Scripture.

The grammatical construction in John 5:24 is exactly the same. Do you apply your exegetical method to that? The same grammatical construction is found in John 4:23. Do you insist that the hour in which God is worshipped in only one instance of time?

You have to deal with both of these passages because it is the same author using the exact same construction.

That is false. It is entirely possible that this is describing the same resurrection as Daniel 12:2. Yet there are other resurrections in Scripture, such as in Matthew 27:52-53, 1 Thess 4:13-18, and 1 Cor 15:23.

I don't have a problem saying that the resurrection of John 5:28, 29 happens at one time. I have a problem saying it is the only resurrection because these other passages seem to describe other instances of resurrection.

So now what are you saying? That John 5:28, 29 toook place at the hour that Peter couldn't watch? Or at the hour that there was darkness over the land? You previously said it takes place when Christ returns, which is neither when Peter couldn't stay awake, nor when there was darkness over the land (both of which were not a single instance, but a period of time). So to say that the hour of John 5:28, 29 is a period of time seems very consistent with the verses you are trying to use to say it isn't a period of time.

This is a switch made out of convenience. There is no textual reason to adopt a symbolic understanding of Revelation. You adopt taht understanding only because if you didn't, you would have to change your position. There is no symbolic use of "first" to mean "only" that I am aware of.

But again Rev 20:5 seems to disagree with you. Doesn't that trouble you? Are you saying that Christ isn't raised until after the thousand years? I don't think you are, but how do you get around it apart from simply saying, "The words don't mean what they say."

On what exegetical basis do you asser that this first resurrection is spiritual? Already you seem to be changing the way you use the words. First, you said that the first resurrection was Jesus'. Now you are saying that the first resurrection includes those who are spiritually raised and justified (though I can't recall any place that the Bible uses such language).

So I think we are seeing that you are slippery with words, and use some pretty unconventional means to dodge what appears to be the plain meaning of the text.

#87 Pastor Larry, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2008
  8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

But there are some very difficult passages for you to explain.

But at no place in Romans does Paul include non Jews in "True Israel." True Israel is a subset of ethnic Israel.

Yes, but they did not have full rights as a Jew in some areas. Deut 23 spells out some instances of this, as do other passages.

Or were we chosen before the foundation of the world? Read that passage carefully and see what "before the foundation" goes with.

But the passages indicate that it does. So how do you disagree?

Please explain.

Not sure what distinction you are making here. How can something that exists be a mystery?

The total weight of the passages indicate this.

So again, I think you have some severe problems.

9. OldRegular

Your response in Post #87 makes the point that I have suggested several times. You may not lie but you are a master at obfuscation.

In Post # 81 you stated: To repeat myself, and bring up something that I don't recall you addressing earlier, look at Rev 20:5: "The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed."

Whatever you might think about the 1000 years, the "first resurrection" is after it, and it includes "the rest of the dead" which can hardly be Christ alone. So the first resurrection does include more than Christ.

Taking you at face value you are stating that Jesus Christ is part of the First Resurrection which occurs at the end of the millennium. Your thinking is all screwed up. I thought you dispensationalists said the first resurrection, that of the Church, occurred before the so-called seven year tribulation and the beginning of the so-called millennial kingdom.

Furthermore it is quite obvious from Revelation 20:5 that there has been a resurrection prior to what you want to call the first resurrection..

Larry, you state:
    I have pointed out to you Scripture that showed that the resurrection of Jesus Christ was the First Resurrection, a resurrection that occurred 2000 years ago, not with what is called the First Resurrection of Revelation 20. I present that Scripture again: you deal with it.

Matthew 28:6. He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
    Matthew 28:7. And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.

Romans 1:1. Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
    Romans 1:2. (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
    Romans 1:3. Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
    Romans 1:4. And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

Revelation 1:4. John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
    Revelation 1:4, 5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

The Apostle Paul in his sermon before King Agrippa while imprisoned at Caesaera declared:

22. Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
    23. That Christ should suffer, [and] that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

Your posts are perfect examples of dispensational obfuscation of Scripture to support their fatally flawed doctrine. You can dispute the above if you wish, that is your perogative, but you will no longer dispute with me.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

And what is that?

I have been called a lot, but never that to my knowledge. My point here as to been to seek clarity, not obfuscation. I wish you would do the same.

Perhaps being more aware of what dispensationalists believe before you talk about them would help. I don't know of many dispensationalists who call the rapture alone the first resurrection. Perhaps you do. Cite them and I will take a look. I may simply not be aware of it. Or you might not be aware of it. So if you know a dispensationalist who says that the rapture is the "first resurrection," please give us the source so we can check it out.

Please remember that I am not the one who wants to call it the "first resurrection." That's what God called it since he's the one who wrote Revelation.

Furthermore, even if Christ were the first resurrection as you say, there are still resurrections before it, such as Lazarus, the widow at Nain's son, and the Shunnamite woman's son. So how can Christ be the first when he isn't the first?

So are these passages wrong? Only two of them say anything about the first, and I think understanding "first" correctly will help to solve that problem. Again, remember that prior to the resurrection of Jesus there was the resurrection of Lazarus, the widow at Nain's son, the Shunnamite woman, and several others. What shall we say? If Jesus was "the first," were these others not resurrections? Or is it possible that you are confusing terms and theology here? I think the latter is clearly the case.

"First" does not always speak of chronology. It sometimes speaks of importance, such as Isaac being Abraham's firstborn son. So Christ being the "firstfruits" or the "first begotten from the dead" speaks of his importance, not his chronology.

Please also remember that I am not the one calling it the first resurrection. That is what God chose to call it, assuming you believe in inspiration. So accusing me of obfuscation won't hide the fact that your disagreement is with God, not me. If God calls the resurrection after the 1000 years the"first resurrection," who are you or I to disagree?

Then please show how. So far, it seems to me like you are the one not willing to look at what Scripture says. I have plainly pointed out to you that there were resurrections before Christ's, meaning his is not the first. I have pointed out to you that the Scriptures themselves say that the "first resurrection" is after the thousand years and includes more than Christ.

Actually the dispute is with you whether you like it or not. Again, I have simply pointed out that Scripture uses the name "first resurrection" for something other than the resurrection of Christ. Therefore, it seems to me to be incumbent on you to change your view to conform to Scripture.

#90 Pastor Larry, Dec 15, 2008
  11. OldRegular

It is sad when someone does not know what is meant by the resurrection from the dead.

If we search the Scriptures, in fact if we search truthful secular history, we will read of only one person who died and came to life never to die again. That person was Jesus Christ. The Apostle Paul preaching before King Agrippa declares:

23 That Christ should suffer, [and] that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

Jesus Christ, in prophecy and in history, was the first and only one to rise from the dead to die no more. It is true that the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, records accounts of people being raised from the dead:

1. The son of the widow of Zarephath restored to life by the prophet Elijah[1 Kings 17:22].

2. The son of the Shunammite woman restored to life by the prophet Elisha[2 Kings 4:35].

3. The dead man restored to life at the touch of Elisha’s bones [2 Kings 13:21].

4, Jairus’ daughter restored to life by Jesus Christ [Matthew 9:25, Mark 5:22].

5. The son of the widow of Nain restored to life by Jesus Christ [Luke 7:15].

6. Lazarus of Bethany restored to life by Jesus Christ [John 11:44].

7. The disciple Tabitha, or Dorcas, of Joppa restored to life by the Apostle Peter [Acts 9:40].

8. The young man Eutychus restored to life by the Apostle Paul [Acts 20:9-12].

Although Scripture is silent about the further lives of these people, they did not have a resurrection body like that of Jesus Christ and they all died again consistent with Paul’s statement to King Agrippa. It is also true that Matthew 27:52,53 states:

Matthew 27:52,53, KJV
    52. And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
    53. And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

However, there is absolutely no indication in Scripture that these Saints possessed a resurrection body like that of Jesus Christ and that they ascended to heaven. It is my belief that these bodies returned to the grave to await the general resurrection. We see from the following Scripture that Jesus Christ was the first resurrection and that there will be no further resurrection until He returns.

1 Corinthians 15:20-23, KJV
    20. But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
    21. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
    22. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
    23. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes indeed. And it is sad when someone will ignore the indisputable teaching of Scripture to maintain their position. The Bible tells us what the first resurrection is, and you disagree with it.'

There is nothing in the Matt 27 passage that says those people died again. They may well have had resurrection bodies. Ultimately, you can win the argument the way you are arguing. It simply doesn't work because even if "resurrection" only means "never to die again resurrection" (something that is not clear from Scripture), you still have to deal with the fact that Rev 20 calls something other than Christ's resurrection the "first resurrection," and you deny that.

#92 Pastor Larry, Dec 15, 2008
  13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me this debate appears to be something somewhere between a contest of wills and a sort of one-ups-manship of insult and innuendo.

IMO it is a useless exercise even to the extent of brethren sharing different views.

I believe one or more of you owe Pastor Larry an apology.

Pastor Larry and I don't agree on every jot and tittle but we don't make outrageous accusations against each other.

I've said my piece for now. If the ad hominems calm down maybe we can discuss this in a more amicable manner.

God bless you all my brethren, heaven knows we all need His grace to treat each other better than this.

HankD

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As an interesting post script to the Matthew 27 passage as related to 1 Corinthians 15, some translations such as the NIV separate "first fruits" from Christ"

NIV 1 Corinthians 15:23 But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him.​

Looking at the original language it seems unlikely but not out of the question that those who came forth from the grave AFTER His resurrection were the first-fruits brought back to the Father by His Son, the Lord of the Harvest as required by the Law, signifying that the time of harvest is ready and the laborers should be thrust into the fields of harvest...​

Luke 10:2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.​

HankD​

#94 HankD, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  15. OldRegular

I consider the NIV to be more a paraphrase than a translation. A "dynamical equivalence" is certainly subject to the "translators/" opinion.

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I don't think so.

Rom 11:25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I want you to understand this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

What do the Gentiles "come in" to?
    The structure of the sentence, and the lack of a noun for "come in" to reference, leaves no other option but for Gentiles to be "coming into" Israel.

Also, you dismiss this verse too quickly:

Rom 9:8 This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring.

A natural born Israelite, would not need to be "imputed" as offspring. Just as here, where the same word is used:

Rom 4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

Does this mean He was already righteous? The fact that He had to be counted as righteous, means that he was NOT already righteous. Likewise, the fact that they are "counted" as offspring, means they were NOT already offspring.

First I would like to note that the word "assembly" here, as translated in the Septuagint, is the same word used for the "Church" in the New Testament.

Secondly, let me say that this is not so. Deuteronomy is not referring to circumcised natives. It is referring to Uncircumcised, Ammonites and Moabites: and even this curse is temporary: ten generations has long since passed.

Again, there is no Bible verse that distinguishes: this would make even Jesus of an impure line, for He had fore bearers who were not born Israelites.

Those who were circumcised were considered native born Israelites: there is no Bible verse that says otherwise. This discrimination was extra-biblical "traditions of men" introduced by the scribes.

I am unaware of any passages that speak of the Church as a completely new entity. Would you mind pointing a couple out?

Eze 36:26 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
    Eze 36:27 And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.

A mystery is just something that we do not fully understand. Haven't you ever played "Clue"? Just because you don't know if it the candlestick in the little brown envelope, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The total weight of the passages say that we are grafted into the Assembly, a.k.a. Israel.

Perhaps because of my limited understanding I do. But I think yours are much bigger.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Into the group that was hardened? I don't think so. This is a passage that I think you have a very hard time with. Israel was partially hardened. If Israel is the church, then you have God hardening his church. This only makes sense if Israel is national Israel.

Not at all. In fact, I lean on this verse very heavily. You are not in Israel when you are a descendant of Abraham. It takes more, not less. That is the point of "not all Israel are Israel." He has already said that he is talking to his "kinsmen according to the flesh."

But there are a great many words that serve multiple purposes, so this proves nothing.

You will notice that this is not what the text says, however. You have to bring this into the text. You didn't get it from the text.

I think the passages I have already given make an airtight case.

But that's not Spirit baptism. That's regeneration.

I don't think we can transfer board games into theology. The whole point of a mystery is that no one knew because it didn't exist. If you read the passage, Gentiles were not considered one with the Jews.

18. OldRegular

I thought the remarks of John Walvoord, the preeminent dispensational theologian and former president of the Dallas Dispensational Seminary, on resurrections might be of interest to some on this thread. [Major Bible Prophecies, page 376ff]

The Origin of the First Resurrection

The term “the first resurrection” is found in Revelation 20:5-6: “[The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.] This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.”

Theologians who attempt to put all the resurrections together into one grand resurrection at the end of the present age find in the expression “the first resurrection” sufficient proof that there is no previous resurrection. It does not take much investigation of Scripture, however, to find that this is a false deduction. Several resurrections precede that which is called “the first resurrection.” This becomes evident when the order of the various resurrections is laid out.

The Order of Resurrections

Though there are numerous restorations to life in both the Old and New Testaments, resurrection in the sense of being given a resurrection body that will last forever did not occur until Jesus Christ was raised from the dead. His resurrection is the first resurrection [Matthew 28:1 -7; Mark 16:1-11; Luke 24:1-12; John 20:1-18].

The second resurrection is recorded in Matthew 27:50-53. The Scriptures declare that when the earthquake occurred at the time of Christ’s resurrection, tombs were broken open and bodies of holy people who had died were raised to life. Later, after Christ was raised from the dead, a number of these individuals were seen in Jerusalem. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus’ resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people [vv 51-53]. The sequence of events seems to be that at the time of the earthquake when Christ died the tombs were broken open - that is, unsealed. The resurrection and the appearance of the people who were raised from the tombs, however, did not occur until after Jesus’ resurrection.

The third resurrection will occur in connection with the rapture of the church [1 Thessalonians. 4:13-18; cf. 1 Corinthians 15:50-53]. At the Rapture “the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air” [1 Thess. 4:16-17]. This resurrection apparently refers to everyone who is baptized into the body of Christ from the Day of Pentecost until the Rapture. Old Testament saints seem to be resurrected at a later time.

The fourth resurrection is prophesied in Revelation 11. Two witnesses who will be killed for their testimony will be left lying in the streets of Jerusalem and will be raised from the dead on the third day [v. 8]. “After the three and a half days a breath of life from God entered them, and they stood on their feet, and terror struck those who saw them. Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, ‘Come up here.’ And they went up to heaven in a cloud, while their enemies looked on” [vv, 11-12].

The fifth resurrection is described in Revelation 20:4-6. As the context indicates, this resurrection has to do with the martyred dead of the Great Tribulation. John wrote, “And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years” [v. 4]. If the resurrection at the Rapture covers all of the saints of the present age since Pentecost, this resurrection relates to the saints who will die in the period between the Rapture and the Second Coming. This will include the martyred dead that are mentioned here specifically. It is amazing how scholars have ignored the plain statement of this passage and tried to make it a general resurrection of all the dead or even make it a reference to the new birth of the believer at the time of his faith in Christ.

The Scriptures here show plainly that this resurrection refers to a particular class of people who will be raised in connection with the Second Coming of Christ.

The sixth resurrection will be that of the Old Testament saints: “Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt” [Daniel 12:2]. Though the fact that all people who die will be raised is commonly assumed in the Old Testament, there are relatively few references that speak specifically of their resurrection. This is one of the major passages.

A second major prediction of this resurrection is found in Isaiah 26:19: “But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the clew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.”

A third major reference is found in Ezekiel 37 in connection with the restoration of the children of Israel. Though the figure is largely that of the restoration of the nation of Israel, bodily resurrection is also mentioned in verses 13-14: “Then you, my people, will know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves and bring you up from them. I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD.”

According to Daniel 12:1, this resurrection will come at the close of the tribulation period described in Daniel 11:36-45: “There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people-everyone whose name is found written in the book--will be delivered”. The resurrection is mentioned specifically in the verse that follows. Though the chronological arrangement of this passage in relation to the resurrection of the Tribulation dead is not given in Scripture, it is probable that this will follow the resurrection of the Tribulation dead, and the Old Testament saints, accordingly, will be in the sixth and final resurrection of the righteous.

The last resurrection has to do with the judgment of the Great White Throne as recorded in Revelation 20:11-15. In this resurrection all the wicked dead, who up to this time have been in Hades, will be resurrected and cast into the lake of fire.

The order of these seven resurrections should make plain that the resurrection of Revelation 20:5-6 is not first in the sense of being before all previous resurrections. If that is not the meaning, what does the term “the first resurrection” mean?

The Nature of the First Resurrection

As the context indicates, the resurrection of the Tribulation dead will follow the Tribulation but precede the millennial kingdom. In Revelation 20:7-10 the millennial kingdom follows the resurrection of the Tribulation dead. During this time Satan will be bound [vv. 1-3]. At the end of the thousand years Satan will be let loose and will cause a rebellion against God. Then he will be judged and cast into the lake of burning sulfur [v. 10]. Accordingly, the point of the term “the first resurrection” is that it is first, not in the sense of being number one or prior to all resurrections, but in the sense that it occurs before the final resurrection, the resurrection of the wicked. In other words, the Tribulation dead will be raised before the millennial kingdom and before the resurrection of the wicked at the Great White Throne judgment. To use the term “first resurrection” to refer to the new birth, as amillenarians do in evading the teaching of this passage on the millennial kingdom, or to refer to it as the Rapture, as posttribulationists do, based on the idea that there could not be a resurrection before this, are both inadequate explanations of the expression. The doctrine of resurrection falls into place when one recognizes that that there is a series of resurrections in Scripture, beginning with the resurrection of Christ and ending with the resurrection of the wicked. In this series the resurrection of the martyred dead of the Great Tribulation is resurrection number five and is probably followed by the resurrection of the Old Testament saints. The resurrection of the wicked is the last resurrection.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Out of everyone on this thread, you are the one who ought to find those most interesting since they cite many passages of Scripture that utterly refute your belief.

20. OldRegular

Strange, odd, whatever, that you have the audacity to be so wrong. Walvoord agrees with me that the first resurrection is that of Jesus Christ. The resurrection which you insisted is the first [Revelation 20:5], time and again and then again a few more times, Walvoord calls the Fifth resurrection. I really believe you need to take off the rose colored glasses and read the post again and perhaps again and then maybe one or two more times. Walvood is correct only about the resurrection of Jesus Christ; however, in everything else he says you both can be consistently wrong.