1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jo 5:24-29 implies 2 ways to God's Grace: election & works

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alfred Persson., Jan 25, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are making a false assumption. You are assuming that John only saw one class of people in Revelation 20:4 when he saw two classes of saints:

1. 4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them.

2. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness

So your process of elimination is based upon a false restriction.

Second, you are ignoring the phrase:

6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years

Therefore, those in the second resurrection after the end of the thousand year reign or the Great White judgement are under the power of "THE SECOND DEATH"!

That alone destroys your whole argument as that alone proves there are no saved people among "the dead" raised up under the Great White Throne Judgement as all "the dead" raised up in that resurrection are under the power of "THE SECOND DEATH" and Revelation 20:14 explicitly defines the Second Death:

Rev. 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Rev. 20:6Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years

2. Alfred Persson.

Alfred Persson. New Member

Incorrect, I propose a three class outline of humanity, not the classic "two."

There is the righteous, the unrighteous, and the intermediate.

Therefore it does not follow "all the rest of the dead" who are subject to the second death, must be "the unrighteous". The Intermediate are also subject to it, if they fail the judgment according to works.

AND your theory is inconsistent with the juxtaposition....it is impossible John say "the evil vile wicked aren't raised up to reign as kings and priests in God's Kingdom.."

That is a no brainer. Everyone knows they are raised up separately (Mat 25:46)

What is not a no brainer is what happened to those righteous who aren't martyrs...so the text says the "rest [of the righteous] dead are raised up later...

Therefore the connection you drew from the warning about the second death, to the "rest of the dead" does not identify them as "the wicked." the Intermediate might also fail their judgment according to works, they might be among those servants Christ cast out into the outer darkness, because they were goats in sheep's clothing.

#62 Alfred Persson., Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I would not at this time be in agreement with this comment. I see no second chance given for anyone to accept Christ after they leave this world, and no one will be found in Him in the last day apart from being 'in Christ' 'in this world' as I read Scripture. Today is the day of salvation, not tomorrow after one dies.

I hope I have not misunderstood your position LOC. If I have, set me straight.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The RCC agree with you. The intermediate they call "those in Purgatory."

5. Alfred Persson.

Purgatory is wrong on every level, its about believers being purged when scripture is clear we are saved to the uttermost, and immediately go into the presence of the LORD upon death.

The thief on the cross is the best illustration purgatory is wrong.

But Catholics got purgatory from somewhere, like many other peculiar Catholic beliefs they corrupted what was passed down to them about Hades for non believers...into purgatory for believers!

God rescues the dead from Hades, who died unbelieving, if they "done good", because He is merciful and full of grace.

Works of law cannot save, but Paul said the conscience is a law unto itself able to excuse:

14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves,
    15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them)
    16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.
    (Rom 2:14-16 NKJ)

Christ listed various charitable acts He judges equivalent to receiving Him:

34 "Then the King will say to those on His right hand,`Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    35 `for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;
    36 `I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'
    37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying,`Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?
    38 `When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?
    39 `Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'
    40 "And the King will answer and say to them,`Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.' (Mat 25:34-40 NKJ)

Surely all can see how these works indicate a love of light, a reception of Christ even though those doing the charity didn't know they were treating Christ.

AND we all can see how such paltry works could never merit eternal life in God's kingdom...therefore its by Grace Christ received these into the kingdom, not these works.

Evidently God will accept these works as indicating love of light, and then extend His mercy to save these by Grace, in Christ's name, applying His propitiation to them, just as it was to us":

2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. (1Jo 2:2 NKJ)

I don't think we should complicate this more than scripture elegantly says:

28 "Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
    29 "and come forth-- those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (Joh 5:28-29 NKJ)

I am convinced God did all things perfectly, that He saved the maximum possible from a population granted truly free will, and that He does this in such a way that He can't be accused of partiality, unfairness. Therefore He did not elect all He knew would be saved, if they "might" have chosen not to be saved, lest someone accuse Him of partiality.

So we have the remnant elect, and the sheep saved according to works, and that is how God accomplishes the saving of the most possible given the nature of things.

30 For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience,
    31 even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy.
    32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.
    33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! (Rom 11:30-33 NKJ)

Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest. (Rev 15:4 KJV)

#65 Alfred Persson., Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Allah is also "merciful, gracious, beneficent, kind," and has a total of 99 attributes. It is a religion of good works. So is Hinduism. Do good.
    Christianity says: For by grace are you saved through faith and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast. Your statements run contrary to the Word of God, but are right in line with Islam and Hinduism. Is that what you believe?
    His gospel is not of works. What is his gospel? Read here for a better understanding:

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
    --That is the gospel; not good works.
    Context is important. When does this event happen?
    Matthew 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
    --It happens after the second coming of Christ.
    Who are these people?

Matthew 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
    --They are all the nations that have come through The Tribulation. They are about to enter the Millennial Kingdom. What is the requirement for them to enter into the Kingdom, as he divides the sheep from the goats?

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
    --Who are "my brethren?"
    The "brethren" are the Jews, the nation of Israel. Christ, in his Second Coming came for the nation of Israel. All those that stood against Israel will be condemned. This is the criteria that he has set for those coming through the Tribulation to enter the Kingdom. They are not saved. They are only permitted to enter the Kingdom on that basis.
    It got them temporary physical salvation, another chance to trust Christ. But in the end many of them, and many of their offspring did not. They, under perfect conditions, still rejected Him.

Revelation 20:7-9 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
    --At the end of the Kingdom, the thousand years, these and their offspring are so numerous that in number they are as the sand of the sea. Those are the number that did not trust Christ in a perfect world where Christ reigned as King. They still did not trust Christ, but rose up and rebelled against him.
    God never gave them salvation according to their works. They were on earth, coming through the Tribulation, entering into the Kingdom, and still rejected Christ, and in the end were cast into the Lake of Fire. Only faith in the blood of Christ could have saved them.
    Only if one appropriates that sacrifice unto himself.
    Right--two resurrections: one for the just, and one for the unjust.
    God can never be accused of partiality no matter what. How can a puny finite mind comprehend the infinite God. It cannot.
    No one, not sheep, or anyone else is saved through works.
    Your philosophy is not according to God's Word. It is more in line with Hinduism and other religions of the world. Why? It is a religion based on works.

7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe these are both really, the saved Jews and Gentiles who lived through the Tribulation to see Christ's return. I believe they were either born-again during the tribulation or at His coming and these are the "brethren" through regeneration. Verse 46 indicates that they have received everlasting life.

"And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal".

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is a difficult passage with much controversy.
    Verse 46 simply says that the "righteous" will have eternal life. But it doesn't make a dogmatic statement that all who enter are "righteous." One must still trust Christ to become "righteous." When Christ comes he comes for Israel. "All Israel shall be saved." They shall turn to him as a nation. Then the Kingdom will begin. Also at that time will this judgment take place. Not everyone in the Tribulation will be killed off. There will be a great many that will live through the Tribulation that will still be unsaved. What will their status be? Since I believe "my brethren" are the Jews, which had just turned to Christ, I believe that this great remnant here are those who made it through the Tribulation. The Lord shall judge them according to their relation to Israel.

But that is my view. It is not set in stone.

9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One thing is for certain, your broader point that no one shall be saved by works is better than written in stone, it is God's sure Word!

10. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not comment when you first stated you agree with LOC but it seems obvious now that you, like LOC, are not considering context. Him the Bible and you what he is selling here. He ha jerked the passage in John out of it´s context and is selling a heresy here because he gives everybody in Hell and everyboddy in the Abyss a second chance. God does not do that and if I were the Mod here, he would already be down the road for the heresy. In that respect, he is lucky. In the other respect he is bound for eternity in Hell because of his teaching that will lead others into hell and the Abyss.

Please, please, read his OP!

11. Alfred Persson.

Not in the abyss, or tartarus (2 Pet 2:4; Jude 6) only those in Hades or in prison. Paul said it was possible, after destruction of the flesh, to have one's spirit saved in the Day of the LORD Jesus:

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. (1Co 5:5 KJV)

The day of the Lord Jesus is Judgment Day, the Day Christ sits in Judgment over the spiritually dead, both those who survived the wars of Gog and Magog, and who are raised up from Hades.

Some object and claim its not Christ seated on the great white throne, but that is clearly wrong, Christ is the Alpha and the Omega, and He is the one sitting on the great white throne:

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. (Rev 20:11 NKJ)

Him who sat on it is Jesus Christ, God the Son not God the Father, who in this book of the revelation of Christ is shown to be the Alpha and the Omega (Rev 22:13-16 "I-Jesus"), who is seated on the throne in Rev 21:5-6). Hence the juxtaposition of Christ's coming with the clouds with the Alpha and Omega speaking (Rev 1:7-8; Rev 22:12-13).

Christ plainly stated He would be the Judge on Judgment Day (John 5:24) and Paul confirms this (2 Cor 5:10; 2 Tim 4:1) as does Peter in Acts 10:42 "He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead" proving both good and bad, the sheep and the goats are being judged in Rev 20:11-15.

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
    19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
    20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
    21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:(1Pt 3:18-21 KJV)

If Jesus "proclaimed doom" this would not be a "like figure" to the answer of a good conscience which now saves us.

These spirits in prison were the hybrid children of the sons of God in Gen c. 6, who repented "formerly disobedient". Not being human or angel, they were separated from everyone else---hence the special trip to let them know there was a way out.

Half the reason why Christ has the keys to Hades, is so He can let people out.

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. (Rev 1:18 KJV)

#71 Alfred Persson., Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
  12. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once more, your much speaking is not of God, it is of the deceiver! I´ll do you the honor of dealing with the basis only because you have not glorified God in your teaching of Satanic lies, itś heresy!

This verse, like all of your ¨proof texting is jerked out of it´s context to try to fool the elect. The context is concerning one that has slept with his father´s wife and the Church, there, has not roken fellowship with him in a godly attempt to wake him, and her, to realize their sin to repent and avoid Hell and the Fiery Abhyss.

Just as many good teachers here have shown you, including myself, the people in Hell are there to await the final ressurrection and the Great White Throne Judgement, where they will be judged for their deeds and cast into the Abyss with Satan.

13. Alfred Persson.

Paul said "that his spirit may be saved in the Day of the Lord Jesus."

That's Judgment Day.

That some rise from Hades into life is the clear teaching of scripture:

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. (Rev 20:12 KJV)

As this judgment happens 1000 years after the church is resurrected/raptured in the first resurrection (Rev 20:4-6), this is a judgment of the spiritually dead. Yet the book of life is opened. Clearly that is to make sure none of those raised, whose names are in the book, are cast into the lake of fire.

Only those not in the book are cast into the Lake:

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev 20:15 KJV)

So some who rose up from Hades were not cast into the lake of fire.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is nothing but heresy. All that stand before Christ at the Great Throne Judgment are cast into the Lake of Fire are cast into the Lake of Fire. You have no way to prove otherwise, except of a terrible wresting of Scripture, which Christians can hardly imagine.

15. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And nobody here has said it is not! Your problem is still the lack of context in your heretical attempts to misapply scripture. Your god is Satan and you do not even realize it. If I follow your use of the scriptures i can prove that God hates women by going into the Old Testament and beginning with the scriture where the man sends his lady out to be raped and the next morning cuts her into twelve pieces.

Scripture has a salvation message and it is a beautiful message when we keep it in context. What you are doing is ugly and deceptive.

16. Alfred Persson.

You have it correct, but are wrong about no second chances in scripture, see POST #11 above where I posted lots of scriptures showing rescue from Hades is taught in scripture.

Here is one example, these mockers who spoke evil of Christian preachers remained spiritually dead, but Peter says it wasn't in vain the Gospel was preached to them:

4 In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you.
    5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
    6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
    (1Pe 4:4-6 NKJ)

FOR THIS REASON the gospel was preached, that they be judged worthy of Hades for living according to sinful men in the flesh, but know how to repent in Hades and then live according to God in the spirit.

#76 Alfred Persson., Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
  17. Alfred Persson.

Your interpretation is impossible as Christ said these are saved:

46 "And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." (Mat 25:46-1 NKJ)

18. Alfred Persson.

Your interpretation is incorrect as these dead are judged "out of" the book of life as well as the other books:

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. (Rev 20:12 NKJ)

You can't be judged out of the book of life unless you are or will be written in it. The book of life is more than a list of names:

19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. (Rev 22:19 NKJ)

So the dead were judged which book their works were consistent with, those whose works were consistent with the book of life had their names written in it, those not…not.

If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, that person was thrown into the lake of fire. (Rev 20:15 NET)

ONLY those not found in the book of life were cast into the lake implying there were some found written in the book.

#78 Alfred Persson., Feb 16, 2012
  19. Alfred Persson.

Which view is ugly and inconsistent with the Bible's teaching God is omniscient, infinite in power and wisdom, perfect in all His activity, and personally Merciful, just and love?.

1)Before the foundation of the world God reprobated the vast majority of mankind to eternal punishment, regardless whether they did good or bad.

2)Before the foundation of the world God Elected all those who could be predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son without violating their free will, AND perfectly created all things and sometimes tweaks events to maximize the number of those "intermediate" that will choose Him thus minimizing the number of the Devil's children eternally lost.

#79 Alfred Persson., Feb 16, 2012
  20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please list the "other books" since you have such a vast knowledge on this subject. They are judged according whether or not their names are written in the Book of Life. That is very obvious from verse 15:

(Rev 20:15) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
    --That is the only standard by which a person at the Great White Throne Judgment will be judged--whether or not their name is found in the Book of Life. If not, they will be case into the lake of fire.
    This only refers to degree of punishment.
    Only the saved will be written in the book of life. This is a stern warning.
    All the saved are in the book of life; all the unsaved are not in the book of life. This is known to God from the foundation of the world. Salvation is not of works, cannot be, never was and never will be. See Eph.2:8,9. God does not change his plan of salvation. Man cannot be saved by works.

You do have a problem, as you don't know what the other books are.

Here is what we do know:

Philippians 4:3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.
    --Paul knew that their names were written in the book of life. On what basis. They had trusted Christ by faith.

Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
    --All Christians are over-comers. See 1John 5:4. This is reassurance that all the names of the saved here at this church will be in the book of life.

Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
    --This is definitely speaking of the unsaved, those that follow the beast. Their names are not written in the book of life.

Revelation 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
    --Again, speaking of the unsaved who follow the beast. It is very clear here. Their names are not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world.

Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    --This is the Great White Throne Judgment. The book of life is the most important book here as we see in verse 15.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
    --Their names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, as it says in 17:8. There is no chance for these unsaved individuals. They are cast into the lake of fire where the beast and the false prophet are (vs.10), and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever (vs.10).

Revelation 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
    --No one will ever enter into the New Jerusalem, that Heavenly City, unless their names are written in the book of life. The unsaved are described here. No unsaved person can ever enter.