1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Job Interview today

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jan 9, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interview today I brushed up on the section on the topic in the 48 Days to the work you love book which was helpful. I was told to come back tomorrow for a 2 hour trial period after of which I will know if I will or wont get the job. Hiring applicants in this manor is not unheard of, as I know of cooks, and other companies that hire based on a trial period.

I am interesting to hear your thoughts on all this and about MLM jobs. I have heard both Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller condemn them and I have as well. However this one is the first of all the ones I have known that does not require me to pay a fee or pay any money to join. They said they will test me tomorrow for 2 hours and I will know if I have a job. Perhaps this is covered in the book No More Mondays and I need to check this out. However salary is $400-$800 wk which is middle class in the state of South Carolina for a single person.

Thanks..

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying for you!

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Move to Teaxs as there seems to be plenty of work here. Pull houston up on craigs list and look at the number of jobs.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    as long as it is salary and not straight commission - among other things.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Craigs List? You kidding me! Around CraigsList is the scammers paradise! MLM, affiliate marketing, and other pay to work scams all love and sleep on CraigsList!

But anyways what you say may be true. The SC job market is not the best and I am not going to settle on some dog low paying job under 20K a year. I get debts to pay off, and may be getting married. Got to find a career job.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Most dealerships hire salesmen year round to sell cars. You can make a decent living if you can sell them.

Hint: Sell used cars, make more money. You won't make near as much selling new, typically. So, find a dealership that keeps a nice stock of program and used cars, and stick outside by those used cars if they will let you.

If you're aggressive, you can make some money. If you can advance to a manager, you can make upwards of 100k per year. Some make way above this. Everything a finance manger sells, from the loan, to warranties, or whatever you sign for, they're making money on it. Sales managers get a cut off of everything.

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

Man evangelist , they are hiring you to work in the big house?

Sorry, the word manor just had me picturing you working in a mansion somewhere. I am sure you meant maner.

Sorry but the entire idea of multi level marketing seems like a scam to me. Be careful.

As far as a 2 hour trial, that sounds fine to me, but remember it is as much a trial for them as it is for you, if you don’t like it after 2 hours then don’t take the job. I have worked plants where we hired a lot through temp agencies. I have had dozens of potential employees walk off the job after two hours and never come back.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I've learned over the years to RUN from anyone peddling a MLM sort of position or product.

"People helping people..." seems to be one of the more familar lines that tip one off to the issues one will find with that type work. Seems that only the people at the top of the food chain make any money for longer than a couple of months.

Amsoil, Amway, Slick 50, Avon, Home Interiors, and a host of other firms use MLM to sell their product. Often, the product is GREAT. It is the way that their reps get used that is the problem. Once everyone you know, and everyone in the family who will still listen to you has tried the product once, you are done unless you are a cold call salesman extrodinaire.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made 29K last year and prior to that I have been a student, or worked at dog paying jobs. I am tired of being a student and need to make a real career and a real living for myself.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah I have unemployment and wont be settling on any dog paying jobs. I am 34 years old, have an extensive resume, 2 college degrees, and a bit of skill and experience. There is NO WAY in the world I am going to be paying off my debts with a dog paying job. I have heard COUNTLESS callers on the Dave Ramsey show call up with meager incomes and large debts. He ALWAYS SAYS find a new career, find a better paying job. This is what I need.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The interview I have wednesday is not MLM but insurance sales. Unfortunately I need to fork out $100 or so to get licensed. Another bad idea.

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I left a "real career" where I made a nice income, had a brand new home on my own land, swimming pool, workshop, shooting range, the works.

I sold almost everything to follow God's call into ministry and spent the next 13 years earning less than $27K as a family per year. That is a husband, wife, and two teenaged sons at $27K or under for 13 years...

On top of that, I paid in cash over $60K for my two degree programs, bought books until I amassed a personal theological library over 3000 volumes, keep everyone in clothes (not designer for sure!) and food (subsistence living) and under a roof.

I worked every available hour, most days for that time 20+ hours a day, at least two all-nighters a week for the entire period. I pastored a church for 5 of those years just to have a parsonage (horrible reason to be a pastor but we had to survive -- God blessed!), and always had some form of ministry if not as pastor. I lived away from home for almost a year of that time while carrying a full class load and starting a new church 700 miles away from my family. I sold tools, cleaned toilets, worked in packaging, and eventually started my own consulting business for doctoral dissertations.

I worked my way into management with a corporation that provides facility services so that I could eventually transfer back to Wisconsin. I did that this August, again living away from my wife (by now, both sons are married and living in their own homes) for 5 months while she held her job in Louisville (Executive Secretary to the Dean of the Billy Graham School at Southern Seminary -- yes, she worked for Thom Rainer, Chuck Lawless, and Zane Pratt, who just took the helm of the school after returning from the mission field in Turkey.) She is now with me in Wisconsin, we have found a rental home, I am working a secular job in Milwaukee managing a charter school, and I have just taken a church in Sheboygan as senior pastor (Yes! Feels great to preach and teach again!). I am back to working close to 20 hours a day.

Oh, and I'm 54 years old... :smilewinkgrin:

Just get out there and find a job, then get out there and find a ministry, then get busy... See what God might do if you prove faithful!

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Any job that COSTS YOU money up front is not the job for you.

Any REAL job will find the employer covering the costs of his employees!

RUN -- the other direction -- before you get suckered in with a slick sales talk.

15. North Carolina Tentmaker

You may have told us this before evangelist, but what part of the country are you in? Are you willing to relocate?

I actually have an opening I am trying to hire for right now in Western North Carolina. I need someone with a bachelor's degree. I would like an environmental engineering or industrial hygiene major, but I could settle for an environmental science like chemistry or biology. The guy who held this position previously had a major in geology with a chemistry minor.

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Employers who do these things literally "bank" on the fact sales isn't for everyone. Some will drop out, and the employer has lost nothing.

As far as auto sales, it doesn't take long for one to figure out if this is "for" them, and generally there is a check given weekly during training.

17. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Someone encouraged me to try MLM several years ago.

I gave it a try.

The problem was that the entire time I was involved, I experienced the Holy Spirits conviction. Obviously, that was the end of MLM for me.

Now I am not saying its wrong for everyone. I just know that for me it what not what God wanted ME to do.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in South Carolina friend. I appreciate the gesture, however thats not my background. I got a degree in Christian Education, been to seminary, and got an associates degree in computer technologies.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me the Holy Spirit led me to a youtube Newsclip video of this company that I found scaminformer.com and what I saw horrified me as it will you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL5YB90-t9Q&feature=youtu.be

Maybe I might walk away in handcuffs if I had taken this job. My goodness!! I wont even show up tomorrow to work for these losers.

20. North Carolina Tentmaker

We used to live in SC. Sumter.

With an education degree you must have considered substituting. Our schools here are always desperate for subs. I looked at it the last time I was out of work but it would have cost me more in lost unemployment and lost time than it was worth. But if my unemployment had run out I would have done it.