1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joel Olstein

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Oct 7, 2015.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Joel has a new book out, "The Power of I Am". Do you think it's about God? Nope, think again, The "I Am" he is referring to is YOU!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From the Amazon reviews:

3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh boy, another wonderful book explaining how one can pat their own back. o_O :eek:

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saw this character on FOX a couple of days ago and Mrs. JWP and I commented on the strong potential of a bit of blasphemy here, whether intended or not.
    I told her that if JO would just remove the "REV" before his name, he would qualify as a great motivational speaker?!?!
    I just wonder how many peopl will wind up in hell because of his " God loves you, feel good, self esteem" gospel??

• Like Like x 2
  5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Does Joel mention this small detail anywhere in his book....."He that believeth on him [Jesus] is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amy13

Amy13 New Member

Another way to make money. That is all these mega church/Tv pastors are worried about. Let them be that way, they won't have that money when their day comes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

He is a great motivational speaker, and he's not the first with a Rev. in front of his name to be more humanistic in his theology. People like him because he gives people the power. Every one wants the power to change things themselves. Surrender is much more difficult concept.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It might be more correct to say that he claims to give people the power.
    Maybe a reading of Matt. 5:3-12 (the 'Beatitudes') would be in order at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

I have only listened to Joel Olstein once on Australian TV and his message seemed to be self-esteem and the motivation to achieve, possibly with a prosperity perspective. It was when I was switching between channels and I only heard a short segment. But one illustration that I noticed he used, was the incident of when David was first fleeing from Saul and he had fled to Nob where the tabernacle and priests were, but sadly witnessed by Doeg the Edomite. He used the occasion of David being offered and taking again Goliath’s sword as something of great value, while I believe that it was one of David’s moments of failure, a low ebb in his life, relying on the weapons of this world for security, rather than trusting in God. David never needed this sword to defend himself against Saul, but was always guided and protected by God.

Kind regards
    Trevor

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do you know God didn't guide David to get the sword? Are you suggesting David, nor Israel for that matter, didn't need to have any swords to defend himself or Israel? You think David would have lived long without a sword? How about Israel? Should Israel disarm even today? How many of them do you think the Muslims would let live?

11. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joel Olstein is a WOF Heretic who is leading people to hell with his self love, self esteem, self motivation nonsense. My husband and I saw that book today while at Walmart and I just commented on how blasphemous the title, and my husband who looked at the back said he is not hiding his WOF ideas as much.

• Like Like x 2
  12. John Public

John Public Evangelist, author, muscian. Meek servant.

13. John Public

John Public Evangelist, author, muscian. Meek servant.

Only once does the word "reverend" appear in the Bible.
    http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Psalms-111-7_111-10/

What is a man doing with the title referring to the living God?

St. Mark's gospel also has a tiny detail luciferian name-it-claim it Joel "Sweet Tea" Olsteen must have carelessly misplaced in chapter sixteen,
    16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

John the apostle would not be on Joel's Christmas (Pagan) card list for what he penned in his primary epistle. This seems odd as he is the Beloved, the only to ever lean on the Lord Jesus' breast.
    7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

12Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

#13 John Public, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  14. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings steaver,
    Firstly consider how David obtained the sword in the first place and David’s comments at the time:
    1 Samuel 17:45-47 (KJV): 45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. 46 This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. 47 And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD’S, and he will give you into our hands.

I am suggesting that David in these immediate circumstances looked more at the sword of Goliath for protection, than in trust to God. As the narrative continues, David did not trust in the sword of Goliath to make a stand against Saul, as he clearly indicates later he had no intention of fighting against the LORD’s anointed. David fled to Gath, and could you imagine what message Goliath’s sword would speak out loud to the Philistines if he was carrying the sword? It was possibly the largest sword ever made, and it could not be hid. The Philistines would say, this was the man that slew Goliath. Possibly David threw away Goliath’s sword before he entered the city. Even so they took David and could easily have killed him. Again he did not escape because of the sword, but he feigned himself mad. If anything this is where God’s providential care is revealed. David’s acting and actions were so realistic that the King of Gath drove David out and he escaped to the Cave. Psalm 34 was written to record David’s thoughts at this time. He was delivered not by the sword but by his fear of the LORD and the angelic host that encamped about him.

This is a larger question, but I believe that Israel today rely more upon their weapons of war than trust in God. There are parallel examples of this in the book of Isaiah and the Chronicles records of the reigns of Uzziah and Hezekiah. Uzziah was noted for his weaponry and pride, Hezekiah for his humility and trust in God. Although this is off topic, on a personal level I do not believe a Christian should take up weapons of warfare.

Kind regards
    Trevor

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Israel has rejected God when they rejected God with us in Christ. However, God is the reason they are not annihilated. As far as Christians taking up weapons of warfare, well let's just say thank God's children we are not all speaking German.

16. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again steaver,
    I can agree with you in general, but you seem to state this in absolutes. Israel will soon go through a time of trouble, and a significant remnant of the nation will be converted and become the first dominion of the Kingdom of God.
    Micah 4:1-8 (KJV): 1 But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. 2 And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 3 And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. 4 But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it. 5 For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever. 6 In that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that is driven out, and her that I have afflicted; 7 And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast far off a strong nation: and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever. 8 And thou, O tower of the flock, the strong hold of the daughter of Zion, unto thee shall it come, even the first dominion; the kingdom shall come to the daughter of Jerusalem.

I do not see the outcome of WW2 and other conflicts was mainly as a result of “God’s children” and “Christians taking up weapons of warfare”, but rather God’s purpose being accomplished and some judgements on the nations. There were German Baptists fighting for Germany, and British and American Baptists fighting against them. There were Northern Baptists fighting against Southern Baptists in the American Civil War. A prominent brother in my fellowship encouraged those in the South and North during the American Civil War to be faithful to the Commands of Christ and not to fight, and gained exemption for these brethren. To achieve this he crossed the front lines of the Battle to negotiate this result. I cannot imagine why a brother in Christ would determine and allow himself to kill another brother in Christ at the request of the present evil rulers of the nations.

There seems to be a difference between the early Anabaptists together with a few early Baptists who were influenced by these Anabaptists in comparison to modern Baptists regarding taking of arms in warfare.

Kind regards
    Trevor

17. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again steaver,

The subject of military service has been mentioned in this thread and I decided to add a few more aspects.
    God brought the nation of Assyria against Israel in judgement because King Ahaz and the people would not heed the Word of God.
    Isaiah8:5-8(KJV): 5The LORD spake also unto me again, saying, 6Forasmuch as this people refuseth the waters of Shiloah that go softly, and rejoice in Rezin and Remaliah’s son; 7Now therefore, behold, the Lord bringeth up upon them the waters of the river, strong and many, even the king of Assyria, and all his glory: and he shall come up over all his channels, and go over all his banks: 8And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and go over, he shall reach even to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel.

It was greed and self-aggrandisement that motivated the Assyrians.
    Isaiah10:5-7,12(KJV): 5O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and the staff in their hand is mine indignation. 6I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the people of my wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets. 7Howbeit he meaneth not so, neither doth his heart think so; but it is in his heart to destroy and cut off nations not a few.
    12Wherefore it shall come to pass, that when the Lord hath performed his whole work upon mount Zion and on Jerusalem, I will punish the fruit of the stout heart of the king of Assyria, and the glory of his high looks.

Should the individual Israelite fight against the Assyrian whom God had sent to punish Israel?
    Isaiah8:11-17(KJV): 11For the LORD spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying, 12Say ye not, A confederacy, to all them to whom this people shall say, A confederacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid. 13Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. 14And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. 15And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken. 16Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples. 17And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.
    Many looked for some military solution, including making a confederacy with other nations, but Isaiah and his disciples were instructed to look to God, and wait for Him.

This is but a small example of how God brings war upon the nations. The answer is similar to David’s experience when he fled from Saul and after escaping from Gath he wrote Psalm 34 concerning the fear of God. Peter combines both Psalm 34 and Isaiah 8 to encourage the early believers as they faced persecution. Were they to take up the sword to defend themselves, or were they to trust in God?
    1Peter3:8-15(KJV): 8Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: 9Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. 10For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: 11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it. 12For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil. 13And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? 14But and if ye suffer for righteousness’ sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; 15But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Christ’s commands are seen in the following:
    Matthew5:43-45(KJV): 43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Individually we need to decide whether we should partake in military service. I believe we are at the time of the end and Daniel 11:40-45 and Ezekiel 38 speak of a king of the north who will sweep down into the Middle East. In many ways this will be similar to God using the Assyrians and Babylonians in time past. I personally believe that this king of the north will be Russia. This will be part of God’s judgements, and like the Assyrians of old they will at first be successful. The present troubles in Syria could be a precursor to these moves, even if there is a temporary solution soon. My personal belief is that if we fight against this invasion, as a result of our nation’s decision, to whom we should show some but not all allegiance Acts5:29, then we will at first be fighting against God.

Kind regards
    Trevor

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "And the women answered one another as they played, and said, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands." (1Sa18:7)

19. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again steaver,
    Yes, David was a warrior King who used his sword to subdue the surrounding nations in his quest to establish the Kingdom of God in the territory of Israel in his time. It is interesting that you quote from the time when David was still in the employ of Saul, and thus before Saul started to persecute David. David in his life not only prefigures the events in the establishing of the Kingdom of God when Christ will rule upon the earth, but David also prefigures the sufferings of Christ.

The present status of the servants of Christ is that they have their swords sheathed.
    Matthew 26:51-53 (KJV): 51 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest’s, and smote off his ear. 52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. 53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
    John 18:36 (KJV): Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

When Christ returns to establish His Kingdom, the servants of Christ will take their swords out of their sheaths.
    Psalm 149:5-9 (KJV): 5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds. 6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand; 7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people; 8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron; 9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

Kind regards
    Trevor