1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joel Osteen

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by HOHNancy, Oct 24, 2004.

1. HOHNancy

HOHNancy New Member

Hi,
    If you ever watch a young guy preach on TV on Sundays, his name is Joel Osteen. He is a real-life pastor of Lakewood Church. Mom really likes him, and I watched him on my own TV with Closed Captioning sometimes.
    I just bought his book "Your Best Life Now", and I think it is a very good book! It's mostly about "life lessons" that we all need to learn. [​IMG]
    Here's the link about Joel, his church, and the new book that came out (that I bought): http://www.joelosteen.com/site/PageServer

If you ever heard of him on TV, what did you think of him? [​IMG]

Nancy

2. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Hi Nancy,

I watch him and really like him.

3. intojesus

intojesus New Member

Hi Nancy,

I catch him on Sunday nights and really love him. His preaching has touched my heart more times than I can count.

intojesus

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Osteen is openly a "Word of Faith" heretic. He has shared his pulpit and other pulpits with well such as Joyce Meyers, Kenneth Copeland and Creflo Dollar. His sermons and sermon titles are heavy on pop-psychology and the health/wealth gospel - Name it and Claim it.

His own ministry magazine has the cover story "Your Words Have Creative Power..."

A recent sermon stated the heresy that Jesus did not complete the atonement on the cross, but suffered in Hell under Satan's rule and demonic ploys. And that Jesus had to complete our atonement in hell.

What is sad is that his TV program has been ranked by Nielson as the #1 rated Inspirational Program in the nation. Good christians are being sucked in by the poison that he teaches as he smilingly tries to get into our wallets.

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I find his sermons to be man-centered. I'd rather listen to some in-depth expository sermons myself.

6. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I have never heard Joel try to get money. What do you think of John Hagee? I know that everyone has their own individual preaching styles, some more heavy than others. They just add different perspectives. Bible study should be the most important thing that a person relies on to understand God's Word.

Also, this thing about being in hell? What is that about? I have listened to Joyce but must have missed that program. I have also listened to Creflo and agree about the name it and claim it. As for the Copeland's ministry, I see your point on that as well. What is "Word of Faith"? Thanks!

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hi, nancy,

Someone a while ago on this board that he was of the Word of Faith / Prosperity Gospel camp. I had heard of him, but had not seen much of him, at that time. I have since seen a few of his broadcasts, and to date, haven't heard anything that's wof/prosperity. The bulk of what I've heard him preach appears to be biblically sound. He's got a good gift of preaching and public speaking, and to date, I like what I've heard.

8. ralb

ralb New Member

I spoke against his style on another board not too long ago. However I happened to be watching him yesterday morning and was really quite moved by his message. He spoke on how we need to speak encouragement and acceptance to others (in proper balance with correction and discipline) and how constant criticism is so destructive in the lives of those we are in authority over. I will say however that he did not use a lot of actual Scripture in this message although I didn't hear anything unscriptural. I don't watch him regularly but just happened to be yesterday.

9. NateT

NateT Member

I have watched him a few times. Never completely because I don't like motivational speakers and, at best, that is what he seems to be to me.

10. Lori

Lori New Member

Alright folkes from the horse's mouth and a native Houstonian (how unfortunate for me :D ) that has attended one of their functions, here are my thoughts on Lakewood a/k/a An Oasis of Love.

His daddy was the head of that church long before he was and right before his dad died the church started picking up steam and growing. They now own the summit (once called the summit, was home to the rockets and rock concerts) and hold services there. I've tuned in a few times and the overall message seems to be watered down (imo)a bit. They are an example of a non-denom church. I had some friends that went there and most of Houston goes to that church, or well maybe some of them go to 2nd Baptist lol.

azwyld
    <*}}}><

11. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Lori, Do they have a time for people to receive Christ as Savior and do they do baptisms? I grew up right outside of Houston. I haven't been back there since 1987 when my mother died. I am sure that I would be in shock since I have heard the town is huge now. LOL

One time I went to an Oakridge Brothers concert at the Summit and someone behind me threw up all over my back. Bad memories!!

12. Lori

Lori New Member

I guess they do...I went to a singles night function there once.

Yep the old town just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

No matter what they re-name it, in this Houstonian's heart it will always and forevermore be the Summit. lol Think that's one of the reasons I'd have trouble going to a service there. Hello :rolleyes: the very last concert there before the keys were handed over was a ZZ Top concert.

azwyld
    <*}}}><