1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johannine Comma

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Martin Marprelate, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Martin, you are right, the NET footnote does not address the internal evidence arguments, but does reference pages 647 to 649 in the "Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament." I searched the internet (i.e googled it) but could not find those pages, only a zillion references to them.

Counter to the grammar argument I found two rebuttals, one that gender non agreement with multiple nouns is quite common and (2) the pronoun is pointing backward at the men (male gender) in verse 5:9. Without seeing some examples of these claims in other similar constructions, I am underwhelmed.

My rule of thumb for questionable passages is to not present them as doctrine, but only in support of other scripture (unchallenged) that makes the same point. Thus I would not use this passage to support the doctrine of the Trinity. ( I see the foregoing reads as if I preach, which I do not. Sometimes I make presentations in small group settings, but I am not a Pastor/Teacher, just a member of laity who used to pitch hit occasionally.)

#21 Van, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011