1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 10:27-28 teaches several critical truths while warning us!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Samuels, Feb 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John 10:
    27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
    28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish;
    neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

John 10:27 “My sheep hear [listen to (NLT), recognize (TLB)] My voice”

We are presented with 3 conditions for eternal life!
    HEARING -- hearing Jesus’ voice begins by God’s grace, but must be continued.
    KNOWING -- depends on Jesus and us wanting to “know” each other (PLUS see below).
    FOLLOWING -- depends on us (we have the free will to follow Him, or not follow Him).

Who is hearing Jesus’ voice?
    Initially, this is hearing the prompting of the Holy Spirit that the Gospel message is true!
    (Many say it is possible for a recipient of this prompting to refuse to believe.)
    Then, those who accept God’s call must continue to hear and respond to God’s voice.
    “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him,
    and We will come to him and make Our home with him.” (John 14:23)

They will come in the form of the Holy Spirit, who is another (Greek “allos’) of the same kind.
    “But if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live.”
    (Romans 8:13, NLT)
    “For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.” (Rom 8:14, NASB)

Yes, this is all about continuing to hear the Holy Spirit (and being obedient to His guidance)!

Who does Jesus “know”?
    “The relationship between the sheep and their shepherd is intimate,
    like the relationship between God and Christ. Jesus knows and loves His sheep.
    … If we continue to knowingly commit some sin, we are not in Christ. We do not know Him,
    and He does not know us … Only those who obey Christ and are pure in heart
    will see Him and know Him (Matthew 5:8, 1 John 2:3-4).”
    (The Applied New Testament Commentary – Thomas Hale, 1996, ChariotVictor Publishing;
    Dr. Hale is a Spirit-filled believer who served as a medical missionary with Interserve in Nepal.)

“… and I know (approve of) them” (John 10:27)
    Re: to know, “ginosko”, Strong’s [HASHTAG]#1097[/HASHTAG] >> “here the ‘knowing’ suggests approval
    and bears the meaning ‘to be approved’ in 2 Tim 2:19; cf. John 10:14, John 10:27
    (Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words – W. E. Vine, 1984, Thomas Nelson, Inc.)

Who is following Jesus?

Mark 8:34-36 (Matt 10:38-39, Matt 16:24-26), Luke 9:23-25
    “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul (is himself destroyed or lost, Luke 9:25)?Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”

You don’t carry your cross by having belief-faith through His grace, then trusting Him to do the rest!
    You carry your cross by denying yourself (your fleshly desires, etc.) and following Jesus.
    You follow Jesus by believing in Him and His words, and obeying Him and His commands.

The ones who follow Jesus are the obedient ones!
    John 8:31 (TLB) “You are truly My disciples if you live as I tell you to …”
    Matthew 19:17 “But if you want to enter into life, obey the commandments.”
    John 8:51 “Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone obeys My word he shall never see death.”
    Hebrews 5:9 “He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.”
    1 John 2:17 “… but he who obeys the will of God abides forever.”
    1 Corinthians 7:19 “… obeying the commandments of God is what matters.”
    James 1:22 “But be obeyers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”
    1 John 2:3-4 “Now by this we know that we know Him, if we obey His commandments.
    • He who says, “I know Him,” and does not obey His commandments, is a liar …”
    Romans 6:16 “… you are that one’s slaves whom you obey,
    whether (slaves) of sin leading to death, OR (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness”

Disobedience proves Unbelief
    Hebrews 3:18-19 “And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest,
    but to those who did not obey? So, we see that they could not enter in
    because of unbelief.”

#1 Samuels, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In fact we are presented with one condition for eternal life: being one of Christ's sheep. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Sam, I must point out that what you are presenting is Galatianism. Paul had to deal with the Judaizers on this same point.

Turn to Acts 15:1 Certain people came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the believers: “Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 This brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them. So Paul and Barnabas were appointed, along with some other believers, to go up to Jerusalem to see the apostles and elders about this question. 3 The church sent them on their way, and as they traveled through Phoenicia and Samaria, they told how the Gentiles had been converted. This news made all the believers very glad. 4 When they came to Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the church and the apostles and elders, to whom they reported everything God had done through them.

5 Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees (i.e., Judaizers) stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.”

Keep in mind that the law of Moses is the Pentateuch - the first, five books of the OT, that included the moral law..

The demands of the Judaizers were that believing in not enough. Christ has forgiven your past sins, but now you must keep the law in order to actually be saved. So the equation for salvation was Christ righteousness + our righteousness. This is a subtle form of legalism.

How did the Apostles and Elders respond?

6 The apostles and elders met to consider this question. 7 After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: “Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe. 8 God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. 9 He did not discriminate between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith. 10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? 11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”

What did these guys mean by "a yoke"?

Turn to Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free,and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.

4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus gav eto us NO conditions to having, posessing, keeping eternal life other than being one of His sheep, as He saves forever those who are in Him!

5. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP has a ring tune to it from the OJays...

I'M workin' my way back to you babe...

6. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Springsteens, "I'll work for your love."

I'll work for your love dear
    I'll work for your love
    What others may want for free
    I'll work for your love

• Agree Agree x 1