1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 12:32

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by calledbyHisgrace, Mar 30, 2019.

1. calledbyHisgrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 12:32 KJV
    And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

This verse has gotten a lot of attention lately, and I thought I'd share my view on it for your consideration.

I believe in sovereign grace, and I believe that the "all men" in this verse literally means all men, without exception. I believe that the verse means exactly what it says, in it's clearest sense, and it in no way conflicts with my salvation beliefs.

In what way will every man be actually drawn to Christ?

Will God draw every man into a universal salvation? Obviously not.

Will every man be caused to desire Christ and be drawn to Him by attraction? Obviously not.

It's been said that draw here means to invite, but just inviting someone doesn't draw them. Drawing involves movement.

So in what way will all men actually be drawn unto Christ? The context provides a clue:

John 12:31-32 KJV
    Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

I believe that Christ is talking about the judgement. This isn't the Father drawing men to Christ, this is men being drawn before their Judge to give an account for themselves.

Romans 14:10-12 KJV
    ...for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree that "draw all men to Myself" refers to judgment. Consider the following:

"Yet, once "lifted up." Jesus will draw "all people" (not "all things" [see additional note]) to himself (the dynamic envisioned harks back to 6:37, 44, which speaks of those who come to Jesus never beings driven out and the Father drawing them [Beasley-Murray 1986: 76]. Hence, the world's judgment precedes "all people's" salvation (Carson 1991: 443). Then, from heaven, the place to which he returns by way of the cross, the exalted Lord will draw people to himself, now that the power of sin, sickness, death, and the devil will have all been overcome (Ridderbos 1997: 440]. At the present time, however, misunderstanding regarding Jesus' true identity still persists (12:34)."

Andreas J. Kostenberger, John, P. 384, Baker Academic, Grand Rapids
    Works Cited:
    Beasely-Murray, G.R.
    1986 "John 12, 31-34: The Eschatological Significance of the Lifting Up of the Son of Man." Pp. 70-81 in Studien zum Text und zur Ethik des Neuen Testaments: Festschrift fur H. Greeven. Berlin: de Gruyter.
    Carson, D.A.
    1991 The Gospel according to John. Pillar New Testament Commentary, Grand Rapids, Eerdmans.
    Ridderbos, H.
    1997 The Gospel according to John, Translated by J. Vriend, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.

"The Cross exerts a universal attraction, and people of nationalities, Gentiles, as well as Jews will be saved through it. "All" means all kinds of people without distinction, not all members of the human race without exception."

R.C. Sproul, The Reformation Study Bible, P. 1536, Ligonier Ministries, Orlando

"which is not to be understood of the concourse of people about him, when on the cross, some for him, and others against him, some to bewail him, and others to reproach him; but rather of the gathering of the elect to him, and in him, as their head and representative, when he was crucified for them; or of the collection of them, through the ministry of the apostles, and of their being brought to believe on him for eternal life and salvation: and this drawing of them to him, in consequence of his death, supposes distance from him, want of power, and will, to came to him, and the efficacious grace of God to bring them, though without any force and compulsion; and this is to be understood not of every individual of human nature; for all are not drawn to Christ, or enabled to come to him, and believe in him."

John Gill, John Gill's Exposition of the Bible

In the spirit of fairness, here is a quote from a theologian outside of my "camp":

"His saving grace will be available to Greeks (like those present, v. 20) as well as to Jews."

Charles Ryrie, Ryrie Study Bible

#2 Reformed, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  3. calledbyHisgrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info @Reformed. While your view causes no conflicts with my other beliefs, I believe a drawing to the judgement seat fits the context.

Also in John 6:44, it's the Father that's specified as drawing, while here it's the Son.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you considered that while Christ was in the flesh God drew men to Christ. After The atonement Christ draws all men. Christ invites all men to come.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
    For the most part all men Labour and are heavy laiden with the needs of this life. Here Christ is asking all men to come to Him.
    MB

5. calledbyHisgrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    @MB,

I believe that there's a difference between just inviting someone to come, and actually drawing someone to come. For example, you can invite a crowd to your event but still not draw a crowd to your event.

In verses 35-36 of John 12, Christ gives an invitation to His hearers:

"Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them."

But they weren't drawn to Him, in fact they "could not believe" on Him:

"But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him: That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart..." John 12:37-40

They were invited, but not drawn.

The only way that I know of that all men, without exception, will actually be drawn to Christ, is when Christ draws us to the judgement seat.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet they followed after Him. The reason was they were drawn. They were fascinated with Him. We can't say they weren't drawn other wise they would not have come to Him. No matter the reason No one can come with out being drawn. The fact that they weren't saved at that time does not mean they weren't latter on. I do not believe any were saved while Christ was still alive simply because the atonement had not been paid. There can be no forgiveness with out the shedding of blood

If true and I do not believe it is. Christ spoke to them in Parables to keep them from believing at that time. Christ wasn't ready to save until after He paid the atonement.
    This last statement of yours is because you cannot understand that Salvation is an invitation not a demand.
    Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

One thing for sure even though the word draw does mean to drag. I've never seen anyone who was dragged to God. Some Calvinist claim they were but it's not something I believe. I do believe I was drawn. For me it was a fascination sometimes good and sometimes not so good. The not so good part was my rebellion against it. I was literally rebellious because I didn't want to become a hypocrite like all those who made claims of righteousness. They all seem to all believe them selves better than everyone else. When I surrendered to this drawing is when I was saved. I had to decide to stop the rebellion first
    MB

7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that is not the clearest sense when you look at context of the whole passage. Verses were written inside of paragraph and book structures not as standalone truths.

The context is in John 12:20-22 where it shows Greeks were wanting to come to Jesus. Verse 32 is not talking about every individual man, rather, it is talking about all people groups both Gentile and Jew.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Acts 24:15 (NASB)
    having a hope in God, which these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

John 5:28
    “Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
    29 and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

Perhaps it refers to universal resurrection... some to eternal life & some to eternal judgment.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two resurrections in the Bible.
    ;
    Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
    MB