1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 19:30

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Old Union Brother, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

In John 19:30

(Joh 19:30) When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

What do you think that Jesus meant when he said these words?

Did he mean that his time on earth as a mortal was over?

Did he mean that the Plan of salvation was finished?

Or did it mean something else?

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The payment for man's salvation was completed.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He came to die a covenant death for the children the Father gave to Him

It is finished...
    those given to Him....out of the worldHe came to die for the seed of Abraham. He did it making full atonement and propitiation for their sins with His vicarious suffering on the cross;

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I believe, Bro. Jeff, that this has a twofold meaning. "It is finished", I believe means the Law was finished(fulfill by Him dying on the cross), and the plan of salvation was finished(accomplished by the shedding of His blood). Or at least, that's the way I see it.

i am I AM's!!

Willis

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

But the law is not yet finished there are yet 3 feast to be fulfilled, Leviticus 23:24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.

Trumpets is yet to be fulfilled.

25Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.

26And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

27Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.

28And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.

29For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.

30And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people.

31Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.

32It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

33And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

The nation Israel is yet to be at rest.

34Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the LORD.

35 On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

36 Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein.

39Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.

40And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.

41And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month

The tabernacles aor ingathering of Israel is yet to be fulfilled so the law is not yet complete.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The payment for the sin of mankind was finished. This had to do with the promise that was made before the world was. The love that God had for the world and salvation for whosoever would believe (John 3:16).

Joh 17:3-6
    (3)
    And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
    (4)I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
    (5)And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
    (6)I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

Yea, the Father gave Him those who would believe the Word and have faith through the mediation work of Christ.

#7 Benjamin, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
  8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Reply to revmwc

Here is the groundwork for the fulfilling of the Law:

Jer. 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

I believe the "after those days" was in reference to Jesus' life(33.5 years) here on earth), or that's the way I see it.

Now, here is where it's fulfilled:

Heb. 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:Sound familiar??

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Heb. 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Heb. 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Gal. 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Gal. 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

The law was done away with, meaning the ceremonial part was done away, in that we don't offer up lambs, turtledoves, calves, oxen, etc. We have the two commandments that Jesus told His Disciples, "Love thy Lord with all thy heart, soul mind and strength, and love thy neighor as thyself." On these two hang ALL THE LAW AND PROPHETS!!! Give me Grace over Law any day!!

i am I AM's!!

Willis

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Brother Jeff. You've already gotten good responses, I'll throw these in:

Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to accomplish his work. Jn 4:34

I glorified thee on the earth, having accomplished the work which thou hast given me to do. Jn 17:4

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'It is finished' is one word in the Greek. Tetelestai. It is the Perfect tense, passive voice of the verb teleo. It certainly means 'it is finished,' or, better, 'it has been finished,' but it also means a few other things.

Teleo appears in Matt 11:1. 'When Jesus had made an end of commanding His disciples.' (KJV).

It appears in Matt 17:4. 'Does your Teacher not pay the temple tax?' So tetelestai could mean, 'It has been paid.'

It appears in Luke 2:39. So when they had performed all things according to the law.......'

It appears in Luke 18:39. '.....And all the things that are written concerning the Son of Man will be accomplished.'

What was made an end of? Our sins and the guilt of them.
    What was paid? The price of our redemption (cf. Col 2:14).
    What was performed? All the requirements of the law.
    What was accomplished? The work the Father had given Him to do.
    What was finished? The making of atonement for the sins of His people.

Steve

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

There is still a part of the law age the covenat to Israel however you want to put it to be completed, that is the last of Daniels 70 weeks, that will be the tribulation period, then Christ will come in His second advent and rule 1000 years after that time. So the law is not yet completed in all aspects of the law, we as gentiles are under the covenant of Grace but Grace has always been the means of salvation by faith.