1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 20:22

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, May 30, 2010.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I have for sometime attempted to study the Bible instead or merely reading it and one of the discoveries is this verse which dispells the belief that the Holy Spirit first came to believers in Act 2. Actually Jesus breatherd on the disciples and they received the HS.(Jn 20:22) I was ignorant of this believing that the first comming was in the upper room after Christs ascention. These are two separate incidents one to the Disciples and one to the Church.

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

This appears to be an ordination of the apostles. V. 21 says, "As the Father has sent me, I also send you." The apostles are to occupy the role of Christ when He departs from the earth a few days hence. In V. 23 we see they are given special spiritual powers to carry out their role as apostles. The question remains, however, was Thomas omitted in this process or was there an unreported ordination of him at a later time?