1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 3:1-6

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you see as the context for this passage?

John 3:1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesusby night and said to him, Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him. 3 Jesus answered him, Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus said to him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

2. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good day, Rev

Nicodemus's ability to reconize the Lord as a Rabbi "a teacher come from God", and God being with him (Jesus) is of no use if one is not "born of the water and the Spirit".

Knowing facts about Jesus and $2.00, will get you a great cup of coffee and a dognut.

In Him,

Bill

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:eek:

No thanks I'll pass. :laugh:

4. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Good Day, Amy

Blueberry muffin??
    :wavey:

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That's better. Yes, I would love a blueberry muffin.

Sorry BB, I couldn't resist. That was soo funny!

6. standingfirminChrist

John 3:1-6 proves one can know who Christ is (as Nicodemus did) and who sent Him, and still be lost in sin.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about catnut? ;)

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It also teaches that despite Nicodemus' great intellect and his teaching gift, without the illuminating and regenerating work of the Holy Spirit, he cannot understand spiritual things, such as the kingdom of God.

I take "unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" to mean that he cannot understand the kingdom. I don't think it means that unless one is born again, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. I believe that to be true, but that is not the meaning I take from this verse.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I already have the coffee and donut. :D

The context is The Kingdom of God and how to attain it.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you describe this kingdom in this passage?

11. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

The context is the same as in the first chapter..... you must be born again of God. In continuing to read in John the Third chapter we see that God sent His only Son so that if men would believe they should not perish, but have eternal life. But then we see that the text exclaims that men loved darkness rather than light for their deeds were evil. This puts us back to the beginning of the chapter and the beginning of the book, you must be born again of God.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Kingdom is Christ talking about?

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

A Spiritual Kingdom. Is there another?

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The kingdom is that which is made up of subjects of the king, in this case, King Jesus.

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! The Kingdom of God is wherever, whenever and over whomever God is king.

16. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Why do you believe that about this scripture and if you do what scripture do you think does a better job of supporting the belief that someone must be born again to be saved?

17. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Why not? It seems fairly clear to me. Where else in the Bible do you find a better example of the requirement to be born again in order to obtain salvation?

18. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context is found at the end of chapter 2.

Many were "believing" (trusting) in Jesus, but Jesus was not "trusting" (believing) in them. No one needed to tell Jesus what was in (a) man, because Jesus already knows what is in (a) man. That is, Jesus knows the condition of a man's position before God and distinguishes between men (true believers verses "false professors".)

Then comes Chapter 3.v1 "There was a man....."

The context of verses 1-6, therefore, is not to define the Kingdom of God, but to explain how the Kingdom of God is accessed by men. The answer is that salvation (seeing the Kingdom of God) is a work according to the will of Holy Spirit. "The wind (Spirit) blows (moves) were it (He) wills (deliberate determination of the will)......so is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

Jesus uses an obvious play on the words "wind" and "spirit", which are the same in the Greek. Men are "born again" by the will of Holy Spirit.

peace to you:praying:

#18 canadyjd, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008