1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John 4:23-24, spirit/Spirit (pneuma)

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pete, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Pete

Pete New Member

DOH! Link didn't work...OK, try http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible? type in John 4:23-24, tick every translation.

All translations on page above use "spirit" in place of pneuma in the verses above except the CEV which uses "Spirit". While the CEV is not the most reliable source (*CHOKE* UNDERSTATEMENT), I must admit this one did make me wonder a bit.

Any thoughts either way of using "spirit" vs "Spirit" there anyone? (I know, I know, the CEV is a great case against it ;) )

I might have to surf through gospelcom and check every occurrence of pneuma and see how the translations deal with it in each case ;) Only 385 to look at according to Strongs, shouldn't take long ;) Oops, I forgot to take off 93 hagios pneuma, makes things easier [​IMG]

Pete

[ October 13, 2002, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Titus2_1 ]

2. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

John 4:23 "worship ...in spirit and in truth"
    John 4:24 "God is a Spirit"
    "worship ...in spirit and in truth"

In these two verses, the only instance where the "s" should be captitalized is in v.24 where it refers to God. The other two times the word is found refers to the human spirit and therefore should not be capitalized. The translators of the King James Bible knew what they were doing.

Also notice in John 4:24, the modern versions such as NIV, NASV, RSV, NRSV... change "God is a Spirit" to the impersonal, New Age pantheistic, "God is spirit"

What happened to the word "a"? Who would want to make a subtle change like that? Could it be... Satan?!
    The devil has been trying to plant seeds of doubt in the mind's of God's people from the beginning, the first words from him recorded in Scripture is a question, "Yea, hath God said...?"

Don't fall for the wiles of the devil, stick with the King James Bible!

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

LOL ... I am pretty sure that God was spirit long before there was any New Age movement. The point of the verse is in no way dependent on the existence of the indefinite article. In fact, the point of the verses actually clarifies that the MVs are right. Jesus is contrasting worship (a place vs. spirit/truth) and using the nature of God as proof for the way that we are to worship. God is spirit, rather than fleshly; therefore, we are to worship him in spirit.