1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John 8:3-11 : The Case Against Christians Supporting Capital Punishment

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zaac, May 29, 2014.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A zealous Catholic tried this once (as I remember). He attacked a doctor for carrying out abortions (committing murder). He was the one who ended up with a life sentence. Be careful what you advocate lest you also be the murderer.

2. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You clearly do not understand that passage or you are purposely twisting scripture which puts you in the same light as the Pharisees in this event. I pray it is the prior and not the latter.
    Jesus did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it.
    In that passage Jesus does NOT tell them not to stone her. He I fact tells them to stone her. Read the text. That was the law and He could not change it.
    Jesus was under the law and the law stated that it took two or three witness. When they all left He could not pass judgment on her by Himself. Also the Pharisees were playing with the Lord to trap the Lord and He trapped them. He passed double judgment on them.
    First they brought the women and not the man. That was part of their evil and their condemnation. Second when the Lord said "he who is without sin cast the first stone" they should have confronted Him as that was not a command of scripture. Instead they then refused to stone her which was the law and brought another condemnation on themselves. They set out to trap the Lord and were trapped by their own actions.
    Lastely that command was givin to Israel, READ your scriptures. It has no bearing on weather or not a government supports the death penalty which God commands prior to the giving of the law. As believers we should support what God supports and He supports the death penalty for murder.

#62 Judith, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the command to have a murderer put to death due to his crime came BEFORE the law was given!

And the Cross paid for our sins ,so God will freely forgive me based upon the Cross in full, so that the father could freely forgive us ALL of our sins, and to be able to grant to us while yet sinners eternal life in Christ, but did NOT take away from us the results of that sin, as IF I rape and murder a cchild, God will still forgive me and grant me eternal life in Christ due to the Cross, but will NOT remove the punishment due to me in this life, of capital punishment!

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I haven't read all the posts but I went back to the OP where you posted the scripture and then looked at one of the first posts that you made which was in post #4:
    Here is the context, conveniently ignored and more accurately translated in the KJV:

John 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
    The Pharisees came with the intent of tempting Jesus, not carrying out the law. Their intent was to get him to give into temptation or to sin, to break the law in some way. They thought they had him between a rock and a hard place. There was no intention of them to carry out the law.

Here are some things to consider:
    Where was the guilty male with whom she was committing adultery. He also needs to be charged.
    Which one of them was in the bedroom watching them have sex? IOW, how did this accusation come to be? There is no statement of any visible sign of pregnancy which is usually the case of one having committed adultery.
    It is plainly said that she was "caught in the act". Interesting.
    It sounds like a set up. They dragged her there.
    What did Jesus say about her "adultery"?

John 8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
    11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
    --He does not condemn her for the act of adultery.

Consider the comments by Albert Barnes:

In reference to "go and sin no more" Poole adds:
    IOW, it was not referring to adultery in particular.

In no way can this refer to the Pharisees enforcing capital punishment. They didn't have that authority. They were tempting Christ to sin.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was them using that act in order to trap Jesus!

And NOT a passage to get the verdict of God on capital punishment, try Romans instead for that!