1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Bunyan's Methods of a full salvation

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by rockytopva, Jul 15, 2021.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John Bunyan's Methods of a full salvation... In which the witness of the Spirit is picked up at the Porter's House. And how I would teach the doctrine in metaphor to the Pilgrims Progress.

1. Salvation - As the Christian leaves the City of Destruction and makes his way to the Celestial City.
    2. Sanctification - At the interpreter's house
    3. The Witness of the Spirit - At the porter's house

The City of Destruction The place where evangelists set people on their journey to the Celestial City
    The Slough of Despair This represents the mire that well intentioned religious people bring to the way
    Legalities Mountain The enemy attempt to indoctrinate pilgrims with doctrine designed to inhibit true light
    Plain of Instruction The evangelist sets the pilgrim on the right direction from the “Mr. Worldly Wiseman”
    The Wicket Gate The sinners prayer. Salvation.... The pilgrim now enters into the Lord’s country
    The Interpreters House This is a time of instruction where caring people instruct and disciple. Sanctification.
    Porters House The journey to a higher place where one receives the Witness of the Spirit.
    Valley of Humiliation Time for some trials and testing!
    Valley of the Shadow of Death Time to overcome the wicked one!
    Vanity Fair Discipled and proven Christians now witness to their present world.
    Doubting Castle Christians choose path that takes them down to the terrible giant despair.
    Lucre Mountain Temptations of material goods
    Demas Silver Mines Represents those trapped by their material possessions and come to a place of all work.
    Delectable Mountains Represents revival and a season of refreshing
    An Entangling Net The flatterers will try to flatter pilgrims unto a place of high minded spiritual bondage
    Enchanted Ground ground to a sound spiritual sleep!
    Beulah Land Experienced Christian faith, hope, and charity that shine brightly night and day!
    Great River The river flows through various places in the Pilgrims Progress and represents death.
    Final Destination After crossing the river, either the Celestial City or the Underworld… Which will it be?

2. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Timeline

1384 AD - Wycliffe dies after translating his version of the bible.
    1500 AD - AnaBaptist began in Europe about this time
    1517 AD - Protestant Reformation - Beginning with Martin Luther
    1525 AD - Tyndale publishes an English New Testament
    1600 AD - Protestant Reformation spreads into AnaBaptist, Anglican, Calvinist, and Lutheran by this time.
    1678 AD - John Bunyan, jailed by the Anglicans, publishes the Pilgrims Progress.

I have read that John Bunyan said in the Grace Abounding book something to the effect that, "Some men call me AnaBaptist." He did not claim to be AnaBaptist, only that he was tagged as one. I would say he would call himself a "Puritan" is anything.

I would read John Bunyan's entire library and am a big fan. I know of no denomination, though, where I would associate such teachings.

• Informative Informative x 1