1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Bunyan's Methods of a full salvation

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by rockytopva, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither have I, rockytopva.
    I have never ceased to thank God for that day when my name was written in the Lamb's Book of Life by the Lord, and I know that it was registered long before I was born ( Revelation 13:8, Revelation 17:8 ).

2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly sir,
    I can't think of anyone who considers themselves so low and abased as to genuinely and soberly know, deep down and because the Bible told them so,
    that their gift of eternal life had absolutely nothing to do with their own efforts, and they then thank the Lord out of a true and heartfelt gratitude realizing that God could have just as easily passed them up in favor of just about anyone else.

In other words, He could have made them a vessel of wrath, instead of a vessel of mercy.
    He could have decided to leave them right where they were at before He blessed them with the new birth, and never made them aware of their situation by allowing them to keep on rejecting His words as unimportant...as most men do when they hear them preached.

That He chose them to salvation is the most amazing and humbling gift that anyone could ever have...
    To know the God of creation and His Son, for all of eternity ( John 17:2-3 ), while the rest of humanity outside of Christ goes to the Lake of Fire to be punished for their sins, and deservedly so.

To be made accepted in the beloved by the kindness and mercy of a loving God, and to be found in the favor of a Saviour who could have simply let them go on in their delusion, darkened in their hearts and minds, slaves to sin and debauchery, satisfied with this world and its lusts and diversions, and never ever thinking for a moment that anything was wrong in how they were treating His holiness.

I praise Him every day for His gifts, because I know that outside of them I would have no hope...
    Either in this life or the one to come.

Do you think of any of that when you look back on the day that you first heard God's word, and realized your need of a Saviour... because outside of His mercy and grace you knew for sure that you were a goner?

I do, sir, and I don't think very highly of it at all.

#22 Dave G, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021