1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Calvin’s errant views

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really think well of yourself don't you. lol

These are your words, Sir, not mine. I would remind the Calvinists of Galatians 5:14-15. I know that passage clearly applies to me.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Could you just clarify yourself? You metaphored yourself as a sweet smelling incence stick bearing with much longsuffering against your persecuting wick burning bomb Calvinists.

So we get metaphored as suicide bombers by you and you metaphor yourself as a sweet smelling aroma. lol

It makes me laugh....and think..man, this guy really thinks highly of himself.

Rather, let us both take Romans 12:3 to heart.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember a debate between Reagan and some opponent. Reagan said, "there he goes again."

(1) I did not metaphor myself as a sweet aroma to God.

(2) I did not metaphor Calvinists as fuses.

(3) I did not allude to suicide bombers.

What was I saying in the post? I was providing an illustration of long suffering as in Ephesians 4:1-3. Try reading Galatians 5:14-15. This is a bible study forum, not a place to bite and devour one another.

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You talk about idiots! I suggest you find a mirror!

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Where in this is any reference to Ephesians 4:1-3? How could I possibly make a connection with bombs and incence with:

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why is it ok to call a brother an "idiot"?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps rather than assuming that something other than Christ is the center of my world, and condemning me for seemingly thinking of myself as more important than my brothers and sisters in Christ, you could have asked, "Van are you saying you are incense and we are fuses?"

Or you could have read my reference to Ephesians 4:1-3. Here it is again from post # 114:

If we strengthen Calvinism, and bring it into alignment with scripture, we do not demean Calvinism, we honor it.

As for implying I am a fool. Is not a fool wise in his own estimation. Is not the one who calls his brother a fool in danger of Gehenna fire.

It does not take a lot of study or prayer to abandon the unity of the body. Ephesians 4:1-3.

Here are some of my observations from the OP:
    Calvin closes part one of Chapter 21 with an appeal to stick with the truths revealed in the word, and not invent answers to mysteries, but rather accept and worship Him cloaked in part in mystery. (True)

Calvin opens part two with the statement that our first aim must be to know only the doctrine of predestination as set out in scripture. (True) Calvin closes part two with the statement we should rightly be alarmed about presumption, which could plunge us into ruin. (Amen.)

#127 Van, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow Robert....... You can really lash out..... Wow, oh ouch! You must of spent an hour on that one. youve wounded me LOL terribly :tonofbricks:Ouch. you know....I wont be able to sleep tonight. :laugh:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry mam, I dont know what came over me. Will I loose my salvation now? :laugh:

10. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Robert Snow,

I know how painful it is to dial down your thinking so that EWF can understand, it is impossible, just ignore -- I have it a blessing.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes & your last name is priceless & it fits you

12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Notice the winking dude? That means I'm joking around. No disrespect was intended.

But, seriously what is so disrespectful about pointing out a practical application of your doctrine's logical conclusion? Isn't it true that if God didn't predetermine/decree for my friend to join this board that he won't? Isn't it true that if God didn't create him and his desires in such a way as to willingly want to engage here that he would never willingly choose to do so? Isn't it true that the choice is really God's, if indeed all things are determined by Him in the manner argued by many Calvinistic believers? If not, explain why not?

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This food fight is now closed. Please don't start another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.