1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Eldredge

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by LandonL, Oct 4, 2004.

1. LandonL

LandonL New Member

I've read a couple of his books, and found them to be good. Now I'm hearing rumors some groups are calling him a heretic.

Has anyone heard anything about this and who is saying it?

2. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

I like John's books too and I've also heard the same kinds of accusations from various places. So far, only from people who are simply repeating something they've heard and not from any evidence. It is unfortunate that rumors tend to get more life than reality. I don't know first hand if he is or not - nor do I know what standard his accusers are using to define heretic. All I know is that the book of his I read seemed pretty solid. Whether he is or not doesn't mean his books are bad in and of themselves. I am often encountering things with which I disagree in books of teachers who are not accused of being heretics - like an old friend used to say, you just have to chew the meat and spit out the bones.

I would like to see evidence being used for the accusations but I'll still recommend the book of his I read until somebody can convince me that it too is heretical. _Wild at Heart_ is the one I read and I was thinking about getting the companion book for women soon. I can see how some might take the things of this book to imply something John was not intending but I don't think interpretation of the reader makes it heresy.

3. LandonL

LandonL New Member

That's my thinking, basically. I'm mostly wondering if anyone knows of any links or something like that so I can find out who is saying thse things. Most of the time you can tell if the person has a case or not simply by examining the source of the accusations.

Thanks for your input, though. And yes, Wild at Heart is great. I just bought _Waking the Dead_ the other day, though I don't plan to get into that until I finish reading _Twelve Ordinary Men_ by MacArther, and perhaps Augustine's _Confessions_.

--Landon

4. BruceB

BruceB New Member

I am nearly done reading "Waking the Dead" and it is a great read. I have enjoyed the book and have gotten a lot out of it - it certainly sheds light on my own experience. I really didn't have the proper awareness of the magnatude of ongoing spiritual warfare, which I have gained from reading this book. Bruce

5. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Here is a link to a review of "Wild at Heart" that might give you some insight concerning John Eldredge:
    http://www.ccwonline.org/wild.html

It's rather lengthy but well worth the read if for no other reason than a good bible study.

6. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

Thanks, RJ. That is a thought-provoking review. I think, after reading it, I am about like the author - convinced of the basic premise but unneasy about the methods J.E. used in defending that premise.