1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Gerstner's Unbiblical Nonsense!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Feb 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what John Gerstner, who was a leading Reformed theologian, said about people who end up in hell. His response to a question from a student, is totally unbiblical and goes against what the Holy Bible actually teaches. The question that I have, is this unbiblical nonsense actually "Reformed" teaching?

Event #2: One student asked Dr. Gerstner, “How can I be happy in heaven if I’m aware that one of my loved ones is in hell?” Dr. Gerstner responded: “Don’t you know that when you are in heaven you will be so sanctified that you could look at your own mother in hell and rejoice in the display of the justice of God.” And Sproul burst out laughing, informing Dr. Gerstner that his statement was absolutely ridiculous.

2010 Ligonier National Conference - R.C. Sproul (II)

There is not even ONE verse in the entire Bible that says what Gerstner taught! This is one of the reasons why people in this world are put off the Christian Faith!

This is what God says in His Word!

"Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord God, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?" (Ezekiel 18:23)

"Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?" (Ezekiel 33:11)

#1 SavedByGrace, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you recognize that you are doing the very thing you accuse Gerstner of doing? Your two verses from Ezekiel say nothing about hell. They only say God has no pleasure in the death of the wicked. They don't answer the young man's question.
    Second, you ignore the context of Ezekiel and therefore you misuse the Bible and claim a false prooftext.
    May I ask why you are so angry?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give just ONE Scripture that says what Gerstner falsely proposes

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically he ignored the crux of your op. Your context on the verses you used is correct. The idea we will look into hell and rejoice at those there is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read what I wrote. I am not saying Gerstner's postulation is proved in scripture. I am saying that your verses don't disprove Gerstner either. You misuse Ezekiel as it says nothing about hell.
    Since you are now making an assertion, it is upon you to prove your assertion. Your two verses from Ezekiel do not prove your assertion, nor do they disprove Gerstner.

Let me ask this:
    Is God just in sending sinners to hell?

• Like Like x 2
  6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev, Ezekiel says nothing about hell. You are reading your bias into two sentences.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give me a single Scripture that teaches God sends anyone to hell

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesnt have to. When you apply the context of that verse to the quote in the op it disqualifies that ridiculous statement. They cannot both be true. Since that is a given then Ill side with scripture.

Further, there isnt a single verse in scripture that says anything like the asinine statement in the op. It has no scriptural foundation whatsoever. Its completely made up out of some sick disgusting ideology.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Are you unaware that Jesus speaks of hell more than anyone?

Matthew 5:22,29-30
    But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brotherwill be liable to judgment; whoever insultshis brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hellof fire. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away.

For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.

And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

Matthew 10:28
    And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 23:15,33

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hellas yourselves.

You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?

Luke 12:4-5

“I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell.Yes, I tell you, fear him!

Read 2 Peter 2.

That should suffice.

sbw, do you deny the existence of hell and that God casts sinners in hell?

Finally, you never answered my question.
    Is God just in sending sinners to hell?
    Let's shorten that question.
    Is God just?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism's view of God is irrational nonsense. They say God does not love the world (humankind) rewriting John 3:16.

I do not think scripture answers the OP question, how could we be happy in heaven with the knowledge our earthly loved ones are in torment in Hades and Gehenna. The best answer is God is just and we would know they received perfect justice.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't have to? LOL, that shows me everything I need to know about your interpretive approach.

12. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unbelief and the rejection of Jesus as Saviour is what destroys sinners to eternal punishment

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So once again you avoid things. Show me one verse that supports the statement in the op
    Are you going to avoid this request as well?

14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, no one is talking about Calvin. Man, you don't even know what Calvin actually said. You just can't deal with the Bible and what the Bible says, so you say "Calvin" as though that means anything.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another you, you, you post devoid of on topic content, again trying to change the subject from the bogus unbiblical views of Calvinism, which is that God's supposed hateful behavior demonstrates His glory. Complete rubbish

How could we be happy in heaven with the knowledge our earthly loved ones are in torment in Hades and Gehenna. The best answer is God is just and we would know they received perfect justice.

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yours is much worse

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stick to the topic, Van. When you have nothing, you just say "Calvin." Have you ever read anything written by John Calvin? Please quote John Calvin on hell for us.

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please answer my question of you, sbw.

Is God just?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 18.25

20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible's reason why people go to hell

International Standard Version John 3:36 The one who believes in the Son has eternal life, but the one who disobeys the Son will not see life. Instead, the wrath of God remains on him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.