1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John MacArthur NT Commentary's

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by hawg_427, Oct 31, 2008.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Does anybody have the John MacArthur NT Commentary 27 Volume Edition?
    What is your opinion if you have it or have read it?

Thanks in advance,
    Hawg

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a number of the volumes and they are A-1 in content and quality.

I've never had the $$ for "sets", so just buy books that correlate to my expositionary preaching. His 4-vol Matthew and 2-vol Romans were specially helpful.

Mac is a strong Baptist, dispensationalist, pre-mil, expositor and calvinist - a little like heaven for me!!

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Dr. Bob, I've known a lot of people who have the MacArthur study bible. What is your opinion on that? I have often thought about trying it. Are the notes in it just a mini version of the commenteries?

4. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I am considering to buy the 2 volumes on Romans. It would be interesting to study Romans with commentary from both John Stott and John MacArthur.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have his entire volume set (it comes in quickverse - and I have Quickverse 8) along with many others complete sets like Barnes; Clarke; Jamison, Brown Fausette (sp?) Matthew Henry and others. If you buy it from Quickverse it is like 400 plus dollars or something. I just kept looking on e-bay for about a week till I found one for $60 (still in it's packaging). I used to have this one already and bought it for about the same price then but lost the disk. After my compture got fried by a serious virus I had to wipe it clean and so I didn't have my beloved Quickverse on it.

Check e-bay for Quickverse 8. I say 8 because it has almost everthing the newer versions have and all that the older ones have. :)

And even though I am not a Calvinist I use his commentaries alot.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, that is a good way to describe it.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have Mac's NKJV Study Bible and very simplified/condensed notes. Marine gave it to me when I became ill and I'm grateful to him for his love.

BTW, the BEST Commentary set on Romans is James Boice (10th St Presbyterian). It is lightyears better than Stott, Mac, Shedd, or any other set. 4 vol paper for about $50 and WORTH IT.