1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John MacArthur

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Jan 23, 2012.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Would we then be guilty as in the same way we judge him?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There are other examples out there. Having read a number of Dr MacArthur's works I see him basically going after anyone who disagrees with him at any level. For instance (this won't be terrifically precise) but he's gone after more contemporary worship styles in the past as being out of bounds. One of the specific criticisms recently has been his sort of odd attack on Darrin Patrick's method of starting churches. Another might be his dismissal of most recent movements in church growth and expansion.

It seems to me that Dr MacArthur's criticisms are directed, incorrently, too often at wholly orthodox, honestly evangelical, purposefully missions minded believers when he might, otherwise, be able to offer a terrific reply. I like Dr MacArthur, but think this is a bit of a shortcoming. :)

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

example would be his broad brush attack upon ALL pentacostalists/charasmatics as being "unbiblcal/doctrines of demons" MUCH of what goes on is, but cannot say all of it is!

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I would have to agree with his position on that.

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

that ALL of the Christians in that camp are heretical?

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I didn't call anyone a heretic. I agree with MacArthur that the charismatic movement is unbiblical.

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Think have to remember within that group there aretrue believers that beong to groups like AOG who tend to be more moderate, empaphasis just as we Baptists placed on bible as sole authority/infallible, and are looking towards second coming of Christ!

MOST of the problems that he references found in the fridge heretical groups such as word of faith health/wealth kingdom now name it claim it etc!

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well perhaps this is a good example. I would suggest that the larger issue at play is Dr MacArthur is simply unfamiliar with the diverge expressions of Pentecostal/charismatic theology and does tend to paint broadly. Not every form of expression of Pentecostal/charismatic theology is the same. Yet in his engagement there is an unfamiliarity with the subject. This is the kind of reaction that uninformed dogma often illicits.

Again this isn't to say he is entirely uninformed, but does make (unnecessary) blanket statements. There are many things in certain forms of the Pentecostal/charismatic theology I can appreciate, and some thing I don't care for theologically.

9. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Amy,

He is my favorite preacher/teacher. I have almost half of his commentaries and several of his books. I think he is very solid. Do a little research on him, he probably studies scripture more than any other today. I wish more would model themselves after him today.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I was thinking about ordering his commentary on the whole bible. Thanks. :thumbs:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was going to say something similar. The irony is his ministry is called Grace To You. Needs to spend less time tearing down others. Love his historical approach in putting Scripture in context, his eschatology...dislike his soteriology for obvious reasons.

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I have it and it's good. His study Bible has most of the notes that the commentary has. The only difference that I've seen(apart from the text of the Bible being included) is some charts are not in the study Bible that are in the commentary.

btw, his NT commentaries are great. Very, very thorough and a great help.

13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :applause::applause::applause::thumbs:

14. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

few other one volume commentaries to consider would be:

Wycliffe Bible Commentary
    New Bible Commentary
    Elwell's Evangelical Commentary on the Bible

15. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I generally do not defend the theology or behavior of anyone except myself, but...

Anything that comes from the pen of John MacArthur is solid with respect to the teaching of the Bible. John MacArthur has a gift of putting complex theological concepts into a format that is accessable to those who are willing to put a little time and effort into learning.

To those who think he is harsh on his critics, they should read what his critics say about him. For that matter they should read what their favorite theologian has to say about anyone with whom they disagree with.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I already have:
    Wycliffe Bible Commentary
    KJV Bible Commentary
    Bible Believers Commentary
    Wilmington's Guide to the Bible
    Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary
    Key Word Study Bible NASB
    NASB study bible
    Life Application Study Bible NKJV
    Sword Searcher bible software

17. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this point Amy you would probable be better served getting single book commentaries as needed rather than another all-in-one. I have a few of the MacArthur commentaries, 2 vol on Revelation, 4 vol Matthew, Hebrews, a few of Pauls epistles and Romans. They are good solid commentaries.

18. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, what version of sword searcher do you use?

How is it used in comparison to the other helps you might have available?

19. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Agree with thomas, probably better to concentrate upon individual commentaries for each book studying!

20. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

any favorites for authors for each book?

last "meaty " commentary that I read was book of Romans by leon Morris!