1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John MacArthur

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Could you provide some examples of this?

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it you try to turn every thread into KJVOism? This is about John MacArthur, not KJVO. BTW, I have Calvinist friiends who use the NIV to support their beliefs. You'd better post something about the NIV then. :laugh:

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry but most Calvinists today use the ESV. ;)

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. I know that when you're in the dating stage, you want to be careful not to completely turn the other person off but if you hide truths about yourself, you are setting yourself up for a bad relationship later.

5. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many today use the ESV which is great translation that I use myself. However I also use the NIV & the KJV/NKJV. Some translations are better for some passages than others. I prefer the KJB for memorization and open air preaching. But prefer the NIV/ESV for devotionals.

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

This should concern you much more than her not liking John Mac. You may be in early stages of courtship now such that she is hesitant, but if you are even remotely moving toward marraige [which incidentally, you should be moving that direction eventually, or else break up with her...but that's another discussion], She will have to be willing to talk to you about the real reasons why she does things, or likes things, or doesn't like them...otherwise a month after you're married she will be really mad at you...but she won't tell you why because she's scared of offending you.

8. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Yeah, good answer Annsni. If she is KJVO (which it sounds like it is the case) then maybe you should get more informed on the matter and maybe you could both share in your discovery of the truth. I'm speaking as though you don't know already... no offense intended... for all I know you may be well informed. What I'm getting at is in proper timing and in the right spirit it will need to be discussed. Few people enjoy being told that they're wrong but many more would appreciate a shared journey in the topic. Annsni is absolutely right, if it's important then communicate with her and let her know that "I may be wrong but let's look into this thing together". Also, I'd make sure that you don't communicate that for you to be correct on the KJVO issue gives more weight to the correctness of your belief in Calvinism. Keep them separated. Imo, for a guy in your position (as an evangelist?) they are both very important issues to discuss eventually though.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not that bog of a deal. People have preferences and I realize that not everyone likes the same thing. Should I make such a big deal of the fact that she likes certain foods that I dislike? Tracts and authors are preferences and people have different preferences. People are different and not everyone is the same. Its really not a big deal. I am not WOTM Only and use other tracts as well. I am also not John MacArthur Only and read from many others as well.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I agree with you 100% if she was KJVO then we would have a serious problem. However she is not KJVO, she is KJVP. My church uses the NKJV and she liked my church. David Jeremiah also uses that and she loves him. Jerry Bridges mostly uses the NIV and she loves him. When we have spoken I have referred to the NIV, the ESV, and the NKJV and she does not mind.

So yes I would agree if she was KJVO then we would have a problem. I can tell the difference as I have meet people on the dating sites that were KJVO and they always made a big deal of the fact that I read from other translations, attended a non KJVO church, and sometimes listen to rock music. Crystal has not done so, and so is KJV Preferred which is much different than a Only advocate.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe she is put off by the fact someone with an organization titled "Grace To You" sometimes exhibits very little of it in dealing with his brothers and sisters. I know it rubs me the wrong way.

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TMI

And does she know you're talking about her by name on the interwebs?

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is one of the best expositors of the Bible though!

Don't have to agree with him in everything, but still a lot of meat would be left over for you to chew on!

14. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he was such a great expositor of the Bible, he wouldn't be a Calvinist! :tongue3:

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Such silliness! The greatest Bible expositors of all time have been Calvinists.

A.T. Robertson, Gill, Matthew Henry, MacLaren, even J.N. Darby leaned Calvinist.

16. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's just your personal opinion, not mine. :smilewinkgrin:

17. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bridges is also a Calvinist, yet you say she loves him?

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Forgive me for trying to confuse you with facts. :smilewinkgrin:

19. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive me for trying to cure you of Calvinism. :tonofbricks:

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No cure needed, thanks. I don't understand how anyone would need to be "cured" of believing in the sovereignty of God.