1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John MacArthur

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been listening to John MacArthur not only in his standard teaching but his address of Lordship Salvation directly (The Gospel According to Jesus), and at no times does John even intimate that salvation is dependent on meritorious actions on our part, or in other words...teaching a works-based salvation, which is what some seek to charge him with.

He stands heads and shoulders above most preachers and teachers for the very reason that he is a staunch defender of Sola Fide, and comes under fire because he is not afraid to broach the controversial and confrontational.

His teaching is an effort to combat easy-believism, something Christ was also clear about. Many will erroneously be convinced they are in relationship with Christ despite the fact that...there is no evidence of that. It is a cautionary teaching only, it does not imply works-based mentality.

There is a difference between a Christian falling into sin at times, but when it is an unbroken pattern apart from repentance it is indicative of false profession.

And better to caution people about false profession than pat them on the back for it and hope for the best.

Right?

God bless.

#21 Darrell C, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed several MacArthur books but sadly his understanding of Scripture is lacking since he is still a dispensationalist.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's getting better. He is starting to accept some of the concepts found in Progressive Dispensationalism. That is a step in the right direction. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he can just shake loose of the idea there is a distinction between Israel and the "Church" he would be well on his way.

As I have stated over and over again (and which goes right over many people's heads) is that the so-called "genealogies" are not genealogies so much as ethnologies. They show the "family" relationship among the Old Testament saints, the New Testament saints, and the "family" relationship between the two.

In the Old Testament the ethnologies show the relationship of the "Family of Abraham" (Israel) and in the New Testament they show the relationship of the "Family of God" (the "Church"). And that the New Testament Family of God (Church) is initially made up of "Spiritual Israel" (Romans 9:6) or the "Family of Abraham."

If Brother MacArthur could just get past the "replacement theology" that was dreamed up to "fix" a problem with dispensationalism which only made it worse! :)

#24 TCassidy, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  5. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I have his NT commentaries and use them often in my teaching. I agree he is one of the best if not the best Bible teacher today. Take the time to research his history and how much he devotes to Bible study.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The MacArthur Study Bible is probably the best study bible on the market. I have one in NKJV and it is great. :)

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, PRETERISM is phony as a Ford Corvette!

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it is an either/or proposition. It is entirely possible to be a Premillennialist and not be a dispensationalist.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is absolutely impossible to be pre-millennialist without making a distinction between the dispensations of God.

It is evident that Christ has not returned in this Age, and His Return sparks the beginning of an entirely different Age, one which has distinctives not seen now, some not seen since before the Fall.

God bless.

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

JM had said early in his career that one could accept the marka the beast & still be saved, but has since recanted that notion. Same for calvinism; he has a much-modified opinion of that doctrine now. I reckon we all have had doctrinal changes in our Christian lifetimes. (For example, I was almost an Armstrongite until the HOLY SPIRIT caused me to see the TRUTH about ole Herbie!)

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure what you mean by his "much-modified opinion of that doctrine" but John MacArthur is a committed, uncompromising 5 point Calvinist. Read his book, The Five Points of Calvinism - Defined, Defended and Documented if there is any doubt in your mind about his stand on TULIP.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is perfect. His works will proceed him and he will receive his reward.

Lots of gold silver and precious gems no doubt but some smoke will go up as well, like all of us.

HankD

13. Steven_15

Steven_15 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to jmac what should a christian do if he sins? What is the meaning of repentance? How to gain assurance of salvation?

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Closing the thread as the author of the OP has not been here for a long time and Tom, who has contributed a lot to this dialogue, has passed.

@Steven_15 , please feel free to begin a new thread to discuss the topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.