1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John MacArthur's stance on the Blood of Christ

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Goldie, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Goldie

Goldie New Member

As I'm basically new here, I wasn't sure where to post this topic, so if it's in the incorrect place, please move it. :type:

This is an offshoot from the following thread under "Welcome to Baptist Board", found here: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1273085#post1273085
    and the following link that was posted there: http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/blood.htm

The Word of God commands us to test all things, and besides that, we should know that a man is judged and condemned by his very own words. He looks like a sheep, even behaves like a sheep, but his doctrine on the Blood of Christ, his stance on Lordship Salvation, as well as the fact that he's a New Evangelical spell W-O-L-F.

It is clear that not only does MacArthur talk out of both sides of his mouth, but he also talks in circles, and it is clear that his belief is in contrast to Leviticus 17:11 - For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Statements taken from MacArthur's own books, which, to date he hasn't recanted/repented:

(1) MacArthur's commentary on the Book of Hebrews, published in 1983 by Moody Press: (bold and red emphasis are mine).

- (John MacArthur, Hebrews, pp. 236- 238).

This book, to my knowledge, by the way is still being published by Moody Press and being sold by MacArthur's ministry to unsuspecting Christians.

A biblical refutation of MacArthur's heresy:
    Blood is not just symbolic for death when referring to Christ's Atonement. God's law demands death and the shedding of blood for remission of sin in Leviticus 17:11, Ezekiel 18:4, Romans 6:23 and Hebrews 9:22.

MacArthur is a New Evangelical and what makes his teaching extremely dangerious is because it's so subtle - he teaches a lot of truth, but he mixes it with untruth (leaven) - and scripture tells us that it takes just a little leaven to leaven the entire loaf. It's like the proverbial frog in a pot of water.

Christians need to wakel up and start smelling the coffee, the Bible clearly hold a doctrine of end-time apostasy whereby God will hand people over to an even greater delusion because they don't have a love for the truth.

I find it rather ironic that the article that can be found here: http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/blood.htm that attempts to justify MacArthur, actually condemns him, because he (MacArthur) clearly states: "It is not the actual liquid that cleanses us from our sins, but the work of redemption Christ accomplished in pouring it out." Now compare this statement to Scripture:

Ephesians 2:13 - But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

and

Hebrews 10:29 -Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

He accuses Bob Jones university of a smear campaign against him, but what testimony do his words give to others? To my mind, John MacArthur is a typical Christian apostate who tries to cover up his heresies by accusing others of wrongdoing, instead of examining his own beliefs according to the Word of God.

#1 Goldie, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm no fan of MacArthur but I can understand his thinking here.

MacArthur a New Evangelical? Aaccckk... cough.... hack..... sullies the name of New Evangelicals :laugh:

I think that the distinction he made between symbol and function wasn't really worth making.
    No real purpose in it.

Then again, he's not a man of few words.

Rob

3. Goldie

Goldie New Member

To my mind it's not his thinking that counts - it's what Scripture says that matters at the end of the day.

That was funny! You mean he's worse than them? Burp........ cough..... hack........ I think I just burst a blood vessel........ :) Ouch.

#3 Goldie, Aug 12, 2008
  4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

On the blood, MacArthur is dead right. For proof, just read what the Bible says: "The wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23). How much more explicit can it be? That is the historic doctrine of the church that must be upheld. Consider Lev 17:11: For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.' There again it is clear that it is the life that brings atonement. The blood works because it takes the life.

As far as being a new-evangelical, MacArthur has tended in that direction for a lot of years, but that is a pretty broad spectrum. As with the word "fundamentalist," very few people used the term "new evangelical" properly.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As someone who is not a fan of MacArthur's soteriology...I have no problem with his view on Christ's blood. The Bible is chock full of symbolism. If Christ's blood was what saved, He didn't need to die...only volunteer to give His blood at the local Red Cross :)

His scouraging would have been enough to atone for man's sin if you hold to the literal view the blood (and not His death) saved. Every roman soldier who was splattered with His blood would have been saved.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Leave the man alone. :sleeping_2:

There are real wolves out there. Go after them.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah...Rick Warren :laugh:

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should never get into the habit of denying the questioning of anyones theology to include JM, Billy Sunday or whomever. When we do that men get placed on pedestals. Much like Rick Warren.

#8 Revmitchell, Aug 12, 2008
  9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amen. :thumbs:

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I would not suggest that at all. It has been thoroughly questioned and found to be entirely biblical.

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The word from the Word says that "without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin"

So it is the shedding of His blood

The word from the Word says that "He gave His life a ransom for many"

So it is the giving of His life

Which one is it??

Both!!

I believe that MacArthor is trying to demonstrate that the physical blood that Jesus shed on Calvary in the physical sense on Earth---was accepted by God in the spiritual sense in Heaven on Heaven's altar---IMO--while Jesus was shedding His blood---and while He was giving His life---on the cross---it was at that point---perhaps in the darkness of the hour---that Heaven (the unseen world) invaded Earth(the seen world)---and at the very same moment that Jesus was shedding His blood and giving His life----on Earth---it was being done in Heaven---making it literally and not just symbolic.

To our OP---Goldie---what is YOUR stance on the blood of Jesus Christ??

Just wondering!!!----study to show thyself approved of God

#11 blackbird, Aug 12, 2008
  12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree. It was suggested that we leave him alone.

13. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Mat 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Man I tell you John MacArthur is a blessed man on these boards!

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So is Lou :)

15. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Puhlease. Who's attacking Lou on these boards? Lou's attacked JM unmercilously.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you don't see, you have selective vision. Try any of canadyjd's posts for starters.

Lou has attacked JM's position. Only a JM apologist would see this as attacking the individual.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It is certainly not attacking the person to question their theology and methods. Interesting you say this. How do you think this idea applies to RW?

18. John Ellwood Taylor

John Ellwood Taylor New Member

19. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I guess now I'm lumped into the JM apologist crowd?

#19 mparkerfd20, Aug 12, 2008
  20. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Welcome brother. :laugh: