1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Mccain Not Eligible To Be President?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by betterthanideserve, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

All you have to do to "subsatiate ( I guess you are meaning substantiate)" Martin's claim is to read Betterthan's posting!

2. betterthanideserve

betterthanideserve New Member

[

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think I answered that question already when I said " dirty, gotcha politics".

==Saying that John McCain is "no conservative" is like saying the sun is not bright. You can say it but it contradicts the clear facts. McCain may not fall in lock step with the "Republican mainstream" but he is conservative. Is he as conservative as I am? No. Is he my perfect candidate? No. Is he conservative enough for me to support him? Yes.

Democrats/liberals have a good habit of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. Republicans/conservatives have a good habit of shooting ourselves in the foot and then wondering why we can't walk.

If you want Hillary Clinton, or the extreme liberal Barak Obama, sitting in the Oval Office you go ahead and refuse to vote for John McCain. In which case please don't come crying over socialized medicine, big government, jumps in the abortion rates, and the signing into law various "hate crime" laws, that a Clinton or Obama Presidency would certainly bring.

==When you claim that John McCain is "Not Eligible To Be President?" you are playing dirty politics. If you don't know the laws you should study the laws before making statements like that. John McCain is very much eligible to be President of the United States.

4. redbelt

redbelt New Member

5. betterthanideserve

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

betterthanideserve,

I mean no harm in saying this, and I hope you take it the right way, but can you please use the preview option on this forum when posting to make sure everything is quoted right.

It's hard to read and follow when you forget quote brackets and such. It's hard to see who and what is being quoted.

Thanks,
    Jamie

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John McCain will not be eligible to be President because he will not have a majority in the Electoral College.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I say it again, McCain is a conservative and to deny that is simply to deny reality. Which, as an American, that is your right.

==The claim you made in the OP would not have been made if you had done your homework. Instead you got so caught up in the moment, and the spin, that you posted it without fact checking it. That mistake happens to all of us from time to time and when it happens we all learn, the hard way, to do some careful fact checking.

==I am not a lawyer, but as a student of history and a political junkie I try to keep up with these things.

O, and McCain is not "my man". I am a supporter of Ron Paul, but I will vote for McCain in the fall since he is the second best choice. I have plenty of differences with McCain but I still believe he is better than Romney or Huckabee.

==Other than campaign finance reform, which is not an issue for me, how is McCain not a conservative?

He was conservative on the war in Iraq when the Bush administration tried to take the cheap road.

He was conservative when he opposed Bush's tax cuts. Every true conservative knows that when you cut taxes you must also cut spending (and Bush has raised spending). Tax cuts (cuts in government income) without spending cuts is simply stupid. You would not do it in your personal life so why do you believe it is ok for the federal government to do it.

McCain is pro-life, unlike Romney who was pro-choice before he started thinking about running for the Republican nomination.

McCain believes in securing the borders. Which is conservative. He does believe in helping illegal immigrants who are already here become legal. While I don't totally agree with his position there, his willingness to secure the borders first is enough.

McCain believes in a strong military (which is conservative).

McCain opposes out of control spending (which is conservative).

McCain believes in conservation of our natural resources (which is Christian and conservative).

McCain believes in passing policies to help clean up our air (which is conservative and helpful to those of us with sinus and asthma problems).

I really can't see any area where McCain is not a conservative. While he may not be as strong of a conservative as I want, he is conservative enough.

The only real problem I have with him is his temper. He has to do a better job keeping that under control.

==Did you vote for George W Bush instead of Gore or Kerry? If so, you voted for the lesser of two evils. Bush is a big government liberal just like Kerry and Gore.

Most federal elections end up being a lesser of two evils situation. However I must admit I am much more comfortable with McCain than I was with Bush in '00 or '04. I would rather Paul, or even Thompson, but McCain works just fine with me.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

You are correct.

http://www.ontheissues.org/John_McCain.htm

Regards,
    BiR

10. betterthanideserve

I agree,but not any more for me thanks anyway.