1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John McCain's birth certificate?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by webdog, Oct 25, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

With all of the talk of Obama's birth certificate going on, I have heard that McCain has had to supply the very same thing. My brother in law has stated he never did, which to me is contrary to what I have been told. Anyone know if he has supplied it, and do you have a link?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I hadn't heard this before but this are challenges to McCain's citizenship similar to the one going on with Obama.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McCain's Birth Abroad Stirs Legal Debate

His Eligibility for Presidency Is Questioned

Sen. John McCain, the presumptive GOP nominee, was born on a U.S. military base in the Panama Canal Zone, which was then under U.S. jurisdiction.
    By Michael Dobbs
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, May 2, 2008; Page A06
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/01/AR2008050103224.html

Article II of the Constitution states that "no person except a natural born citizen . . . shall be eligible to the office of president." The problem is that the Founding Fathers never defined exactly what they meant by "natural born citizen," and the matter has never been fully tested in court. At least three pending cases are challenging McCain's right to be sworn in as president.

"The Constitution is ambiguous," Duggin said. "The McCain side has some really good arguments, but ultimately there has never been any real resolution of this issue. Congress cannot legislatively change the meaning of the Constitution."

One person who disagrees with that premise is New Hampshire resident Fred Hollander, who has filed a suit in U.S. District Court claiming that the Republican candidate is "not a natural born citizen." In an attempt to prove his argument, the 49-year-old computer programmer filed a subpoena last month seeking McCain's birth certificate.

The Department of Homeland Security, which oversees citizenship services, declined to hand over copies of the document, saying the subpoena was improperly served.

Curiously enough, there is no record of McCain's birth in the Panama Canal Zone Health Department's bound birth registers, which are publicly available at the National Archives in College Park. A search of the "Child Born Abroad" records of the U.S. consular service for August 1936 included many U.S. citizens born in the Canal Zone but did not turn up any mention of John McCain.

The key constitutional issue is whether the Canal Zone was part of the United States at the time of McCain's birth. In a memorandum, Tribe and Olson cite a 1986 Supreme Court ruling stating that the United States "exercised sovereignty" over the 10-mile-wide area between 1904 and 1979, when it was handed back to the Panamanians. Hollander and others challenging McCain's eligibility argue that the zone was never part of the United States.

Duggin, the constitutional law scholar, said the sovereignty question is "more complex" than Olson and Tribe concede. People born in some U.S. territories, such as American Samoa, are not recognized as citizens of the United States.

According to a State Department manual, U.S. military installations abroad cannot be considered "part of the United States" and "A child born on the premises of such a facility is not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States and does not acquire U.S. citizenship by reason of birth." Tribe said the manual is an "opinion" with no legal status.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Well, it must be a legitimate problem cause some guy filed a lawsuit.

So now we are in a real fix, both guys have had lawsuits filed against their eligibility to be president. Since filing a lawsuit is all it takes to be fact, I guess Palin and Biden will have to step up.

#5 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not gaff machine Joe... Say it ain't so Joe...

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause:
    We know they are better debaters....maybe they would be better presidents as well.

Palin/Biden or Biden/Palin?

Let's flip a coin to see who takes the presidency and the other gets the vice-presidency.

It would have to be less painful than the mess we are currently in.

peace to you:praying:

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

How about Co-presidents? They can split the oval office in half and Palin can dive Biden crazy, "there you go again Joe, always looking backwards..." :laugh:

9. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I would seriously consider leaving the country if Sarah Palin became President. She's literally a bad joke.

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure!!:rolleyes: Just like all those Hollywierd types that promised to vacate the USA if Bush became president. Typical liberals, all promise & no follow through!:thumbs:

OK, at least you did say "CONSIDER"; I'll concede that!:sleeping_2:

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Feel free to PM me I am quite sure I could raise the funds.

#11 Revmitchell, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

So you think she'd be a great President?

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

[​IMG]

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And so would Sean Hannity

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now i'd donate for him to take a hike... That's worth a vote for Obama just to see him go.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unlike libs he doesn't feel the need to run.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Never loose hope...

That guy was on fire yesterday on the Geraldo show. I was thinking he should think of his heart. I haven't seen fury like that toward another person since watching the civil rights news clips from the 60's. I honestly don't think Obama can count on his vote.

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one believes she would be a "great" president ... but then again, when was the last time we had a "great" president?

And considering the alternatives (Obama, who would further the cause of abortion; and Biden, who's, well, Biden), yes, she's a much better choice.

19. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Until Gov. Palin came along I thought Dan Quayle was the worst VP ever. What a joke. Now, Palin has him hands down. I can't believe the Republicans choose her as the VP candidate. It was a free ride for Obama/Biden.