1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Stott

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by CalifLady, Jun 1, 2004.

1. CalifLady

CalifLady New Member

Please forgive me if this is not the correct forum to seek guidance on this man's doctrine. I am having a hard time finding out this man's doctrine, Calvin/Arminian? Conservative? Liberal? Our ladies Bible Study group is looking into his study on Romans. But, it is my disire as leader of this study to know more about the author.
    Thanks..
    CalifLady

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

If I remember correctly from my studies John Stott was a great preacher and a good theologian. I may be mistaken but I do believe he is Calvinistic abd that may stretch your group to go beyond the surface and dig a bit deeper, which is always good. As with all things just make sure you get some balance from other perspectives and don't merely accept something as truth because a "scholar" say so.

I would continue to search for more information because my knowledge of Stott is limited. I hope that helps some.

3. Ian Major

Ian Major New Member

Hi, CalifLady

Yes, I think Skandelon is correct in his comments on Stott's Calvinism and scholarship. Since those heydays, however, Stott has been noted for his toleration of false ecumenism - the acceptance of liberals and Roman Catholicism as Christian - and for Annihilationism. His books can be very helpful, if you keep in mind his crucial errors.

In Him

Ian

4. CalifLady

CalifLady New Member

Thank you very much...our group has been doing some very meaty studies and would be bored with light study.
    Many blessings...
    CalifLady